· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Guitar tech, wiring, maintenance, projects, SOS calls, and more!
Post a reply

Re: Tolex removing and staining of an amp & cab

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:00 pm

I did a head similar to this.... After I peeled the tolex off by hand I used an electric sander to get all the glue/goop off. Even with my belt sander it took several hours to get it all off and clean enough to stain. I'll post a photo of it later, I used cheapo ACE brand walnut stain on the pine and I think it came out good (not in a traditional stained woodwork sense).

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 am

I say go for it!

This was just cheap pine board shell I made with several coats of dark walnut stain, I rubbed in/wiped the first one and sanded after, the additional ones were light brush ons and not rubbed in or sanded, I did do a little fine steel wool after the last coat.

excuse the bad cellphone photo....
Laney shell.jpg

Laney small.jpg
Laney small.jpg (238.28 KiB) Viewed 6596 times

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:26 am

That is very slick dude.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:14 am

Real real nice.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Walnut is hot

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Walnut for life!

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:00 pm

That looks awesome. I used to have an apartment in a fabric mill turned loft building, and that reminds me of some parts of the floor. I promise that is 100% a compliment.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Sweet looking project dude... I have 2 old Peavey Solid state heads (one Standard from the 70's and one bass from the 80's), a 2 x 12 Peavey bass cab which is carpeted and a 1 x 15 custom built cab that is just painted black. They all look like shit and I would love to stain them and make them look a bit more uniformed... Lets just say this whole rig cost me £50 so doesnt matter too bad about the damage...

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Four years after my original post, moving from a flat to a house, I finally stepped in :joy:

Before:

After total makeover:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am

Looks great man, you did well!

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Thank you @Achtane!
Worth every sweat drop: super stoked with the final result!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Were there any unexpected complications during the process? Or do you have any super secret tips for this kind of thing? It's always nice to know the little tricks...

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:56 am

That looks awesome. I forgot Framus still made stuff in Europe.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am

@achtane : there wasn’t much complications, just had a hard time with the tolex removing (as expected..), i also used the wrong tint product that lead me to re-sand it from scratch...
Not really a trick, but I found a way to get thru this nasty tolex glue without wasting a lot of sandpaper: after removing the tolex with the help of a blowdryer, just made one run with the orbital sand (80, big grain), lightly, just to made the glue a little more solid with the ad of wood dust somehow. And with the green part of a sponge (scotch brite?..) a little wet, get this nasty glue away :)
That’s a lot of efforts but the result is really cool :)
@imJonWain: Idk if they are still producing gear these day. I bought this cab to a friend which had it maybe from 2007 or 2008. Thank you for the kind words :)
Post a reply