The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby Achtane » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

Owning a bunch of broken things that "just needs a _____" is kind of my whole deal though. Doesn't matter that they will never, ever be fixed :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:59 am

Achtane wrote:Owning a bunch of broken things that "just needs a _____" is kind of my whole deal though. Doesn't matter that they will never, ever be fixed :lol:

It’s like we were separated at birth.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:01 am

Gone Fission wrote:
Achtane wrote:Owning a bunch of broken things that "just needs a _____" is kind of my whole deal though. Doesn't matter that they will never, ever be fixed :lol:

It’s like we were separated at birth.

Isn't that the entire ILF-approved method of operation though? :hug: :)* :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 am

I believe so. I certainly have a couple :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Dowi wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:Think you just answered your own question there mate. :lol:

:lol:
Yeah I know the answer is "why not both?", but I also know plenty of people who apparently write everything on acoustic and then transpose to electric+effects etc..

weirdly enough, Vini Reilly writes everything on the piano and then works it out for guitar.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Dowi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:24 am

dubkitty wrote:
Dowi wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:Think you just answered your own question there mate. :lol:

:lol:
Yeah I know the answer is "why not both?", but I also know plenty of people who apparently write everything on acoustic and then transpose to electric+effects etc..

weirdly enough, Vini Reilly writes everything on the piano and then works it out for guitar.

that's a way to keep things interesting, sometimes i used do a similar thing in reverse: compose on guitar and then write in midi to find new solutions & sounds, but i rarely have the time to do that anymore right now.
I think this relates also to a thread about improving playing style from a few months back.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby K2000 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:29 pm

I've been looking for a Boss HM-2 (or clone) after reading the "Best Distortion/Fuzz For Synths?" thread, and a friend also recommended I get one for synths/oscillators.

As usual, I realize "Oh I should really get one of those!" rather late in the game, when all the good deals are mostly gone. I'm having a lot of trouble with paying $140 for a Boss pedal that was $40 just a few years ago. All the clones are giving me Analysis Paralysis. I think I'll buy a Behringher clone when they're back in stock, as a way to test the waters. The Behringer sounds pretty terrible in the comparison videos, but maybe that means it has a strong flavor that will actually make a difference on synth/oscillator tones where "good tone" distortion pedals haven't really made a dent.

Throat Locust - looks good, I love my Super Collider, but it costs a lot...
Eyemaster - I've been really disappointed with some of TC Electronics pedals, which have sounded artificial to me. I've kind of sworn off them now.
Walrus Red - seems like the best "metal" distortion in the HM2 clone family, but I assume the Good Tone means it will have the least impact for my specific application.
Arion Metal Master - maybe the best compromise between low price/crappy plastic quality and almost-authentic HM-2 tone.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm

DOD Super American Metal is another cheap (at least last I looked) HM-2 type deal

(...and you said it's expensive, but the Throat Locust is great)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm

DOD will take you there, though the Super American Metals have been thin on the ground lately ::adjusts tin foil hat::

With the Behringer Super Fuzz also going out of stock everywhere (and with the TC Electronic series expanding), it might be the end of the direct plastic clones sooner than later. Just don't pay a HM-2 price for a HM300, is all I'm saying.

Also, I've tried almost all of the TC revamped series, save the Eyemaster, but the demos did not leave a great (h)impression on me(at). I also think that whole TC series is really just a ploy for Guitar Center warranties/et al (one born every minute), but who knows?

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 am

I feel like Behringer likes announcing products more than they like releasing products

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Looking at the Left Hand Wrath clone of HM-2. LWA says that it must be used with an isolated power supply - is that a real issue? I don't own an isolated power supply, and I've never had any issues (that I know of) using a 1-Spot.

I also don't own the power supply that the Boss HM-2 needs either, so there's that issue with getting a Boss HM2...

All the discounted Throat Locusts seem to have been snapped up.

Inertia is a hell of a
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frodog » Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm pretty sure the LWA dude says that to insure against power supply-related repairs or just to be extra. But I don't know how he tests his stuff exactly so you might have better luck, 1-Spot could be fine.

Also I have the Arion Metal Master and a (Taiwan) HM-2, I'd say the MM is more crusty and loose with a slightly different EQ. Similar but different enough to have both. Plus the MM has two outputs (one extra clean/dirty) so you can split yr signal and run it through an HM-2 as well.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Most companies say that to cover their asses in regards to noise issues, I believe.

...but I would skip Lonewolf on the basis that dude seems full of himself and I'm pretty sure has gone out of his way to hate on/discredit other builders doing something similar to him.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun May 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Rockson Metal Rocker owns as a $20 HM2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:04 am

Decided against the expensive HM-2 clones, which cost more than the originals. I'll either get an original HM2 or a cheaper clone.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear