Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 pm

NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 pm

beauuuuuty you Appley Little Boy Sized King.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:00 pm

I finally sold my DSI Tempest. Thinking of using some of those funds to pick up a DFAM. Any of you nutters using a DFAM? Any noted drawbacks to the thing? The demos I've watched indicate it can do an awful lot more than just bom bom bap drums.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm

I never really gelled with the DFAM. I honestly don't know why because it sounded good and was pretty fun to play.

Behndy didn't like that it doesn't have a reset
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Antlerface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm

I have a dfam, with a second on the way. I’m putting together a percussion case and was gonna start w one Dfam, er301 and BLCK NOIR. The second dfam fell into my lap and I figure I’ll give it a shot before going balls to the wall.

It has the ability to make the best kick I’ve used in eurorack. You can also quantize the vcos to v/oct and have a wonderful dual oscillator ambient machine. It’s really awesome with some experimentation. Though it excels as a drum synth it can do so much more, especially when you add helper modules like maths, stages, Marbles, etc.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm

haven't had yet, still leery of Moog stuff, but it looks AWESOME. the lack of reset on the sequencer still bugs me though.

edit - HEEE NOVEMBER WITH THE CALL OUTS. WOOT.

played with the triggered envelopes from BRIDGE OF ASSES into the combiner Roti Pola for weird melody sequencing through Scales and.... neat, but not what i was hoping for. so yanked them for the Cursis WHICH I LOVE and ordered a Zadar with black panel. hoping the complex envelopes option will be more fun quantized? YOU GUYS CONVINCED ME TO TRY IT.

lol. also, fucking VAT. no one in the US has Zadars, so ordered from Signal Sounds (Bristol i think? where i found a Marbles when no one had them.), and since i don't pay VAT it ended up a little cheaper to have it shipped from Distant Furious Island Town than to buy it locally.

WEIRD.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Antlerface wrote:I have a dfam, with a second on the way. I’m putting together a percussion case and was gonna start w one Dfam, er301 and BLCK NOIR. The second dfam fell into my lap and I figure I’ll give it a shot before going balls to the wall.

It has the ability to make the best kick I’ve used in eurorack. You can also quantize the vcos to v/oct and have a wonderful dual oscillator ambient machine. It’s really awesome with some experimentation. Though it excels as a drum synth it can do so much more, especially when you add helper modules like maths, stages, Marbles, etc.

Your new percussion case sounds pretty balls to the wall already! I like to hear DFAM can be manipulated into other-than-drum territory with some help. I'll definitely throw some help at it if I nab one. EDIT: Part of the reason I'm into the idea of the DFAM is that it reminds me a bit of the Korg Monotribe (which I love dearly) but, you know, x10 functionality.

I always think about buying an ER-301 (in part because it's fashionable, I admit) but realize I have hardly any idea what it does. Heard a track today where someone mangled up a few breakbeats in one real good, though.

The best kick I've used in eurorack = Dinky's Taiko by several kilometers.

Those are my thoughts in response to your post.
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Antlerface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Your comparison to Monotribe is not inaccurate. It’s immediate, playable, sounds awesome, and fun to jam on.

Second best kick I have used, BL asteroid Accent Bass drum. Worst is Drumfuck. Fight me.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Antlerface wrote: BL asteroid Accent Bass drum. Worst is Drumfuck. Fight me.

Nice.

I rock a Bastl Tea Kick for my twin-t perc circuit. It has a square out which sounds so gnarled. It also has a WTF in which I don't understand.

Drumfuck is a dumb name for something so I'm glad it sounds shit.

For no reason other than loving eurorack drums, I want to play with the Ladik Drum Boy & Drum Girl.
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby greyscales » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm currently using a DFAM for straightforward kick and snare patching. It sounds great and you can get some heavy tones out of it. Not using a lot of external modules with it but that's just because of my needs. I could probably get by with a lot less but it's nice being able to jam on it and have everything in one condensed module.

There's some stuff I wish they would include on it like a single clock divider/multiplier and a reset. But I can work without it.

I've thought about trying to just use a channel of my ER-101 to replicate its sequencer and just using a couple sampler players, a filter, and a mixer. It would give me better sequencing but would sacrifice a lot of immediacy.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:51 pm

i still love the BIA for kicks, and am once again balls deep in lust with everything the Transient does. but. that's kinda cheating. 's sample based.

wooooot Morphagene in in.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:09 pm

greyscales wrote:I'm currently using a DFAM for straightforward kick and snare patching. It sounds great and you can get some heavy tones out of it. Not using a lot of external modules with it but that's just because of my needs. I could probably get by with a lot less but it's nice being able to jam on it and have everything in one condensed module.

There's some stuff I wish they would include on it like a single clock divider/multiplier and a reset. But I can work without it.

I've thought about trying to just use a channel of my ER-101 to replicate its sequencer and just using a couple sampler players, a filter, and a mixer. It would give me better sequencing but would sacrifice a lot of immediacy.

#1. I dropped ducats and nabbed a DFAM.

#2. I'm definitely going to use another sequencer to control it (Trigger Riot to start).

#2a. How do you like the ER-101? It looks like a Transformer's brain and I worry that it's too complicated to learn for an average fellow like myself.

#3. Why are there no DFAM demos where all its jacks are jammed up to send and receive the delicious CV?! Missed opportunity, internet. (Please prove me wrong with links if possible).

EDIT: Here's what I'll set up when DFAM arrives on Saturday. (Minus the Bizmuth which does not exist yet.)

mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Antlerface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:03 pm

That looks fun! Lemme get that trigger riot tho
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:46 pm

The ER-101 is really easy to learn to get started. Where it gets difficult is in remembering what you've already programmed and planning out longer form pieces. But the freedom it gives you with that is totally worth it. The basic work flow is that you push a button on the left to decide what you want to focus on. Turn the knob to get to the right pattern or step. And then with your right hand, edit CV A, CV B, the step length, or the gate length. That's the super easy stuff. But then you can copy/paste and apply math transforms to make quick variations. It takes a while to learn how to go through the motions of that, but it gets pretty easy. The ER-102 is where it gets more complicated, but after some time, it makes a lot of sense and is easy to do, as well. My 2 cents, at least.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby greyscales » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Yeah, the ER-101 looks more intimidating than it is. It's like if the DFAM sequencer was totally decked out. Anytime I try to think of a way to take it out of my rack, my solution always requires two or three other sequencers and a quantizer and clock dividers/multipliers. The ER-101 is damn efficient.

I think the reason you don't see the DFAM getting modulated to hell with external modules is because it does have all of the features it needs to feel complete. It could be fun to modulate the decay envelopes and sequence one of the VCOs externally while the other uses the internal one, but it just does its own thing well enough that you don't need a lot with it. It's just fun to play as its own instrument.
It will probably sound great with that Erbe-Verb and Echophon though.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear