Korg Prologue 16

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Korg Prologue 16

Postby Faldoe » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts?
Faldoe

Re: Korg Prologue 16

Postby echorec » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:21 pm

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on an 8-voice, since they did their 2nd wave of discounts this year. If WWBW/GC/MF is going to do 15% off over the phone, $850 for a hybrid synth is certainly tempting.

I'd say pads are its strongest area, but with more designers doing custom oscillators for it, it's growing slowly in other areas.

Cons: 1 LFO, no sequencer, not really awe-inspiring in terms of sonic possibilities
Pros: price, upgradeable via OSC downloads, multi-timbral, better onboard reverb than most synths

Overall it seems like an adequate studio tool for people looking to expand their options, but don't expect it to outperform higher-priced synths.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Very informative. Thank you, echorec!
Faldoe

Postby cloudscapes » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:26 pm

I mulled over it for a while but ended up getting a minilogue xd a few months ago. which is 80-90% the way there if you ignore the number of voices.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 am

The minilogue xd looks a lot more appealing. Unless you’re in love with their user-programmable oscillator, I’d pick up a DSI Rev2 or a Novation Peak. Both have lots more in terms of sound-design, and can be found in the same price-range.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 pm

cloudscapes wrote:I mulled over it for a while but ended up getting a minilogue xd a few months ago. which is 80-90% the way there if you ignore the number of voices.

How is the MLXD after spending a few months with it?
Faldoe

Postby cloudscapes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Faldoe wrote:
cloudscapes wrote:I mulled over it for a while but ended up getting a minilogue xd a few months ago. which is 80-90% the way there if you ignore the number of voices.

How is the MLXD after spending a few months with it?

I'm really enjoying it when I want to jam along with other instruments, and as a quick hands-on synth. It's not deep or anything, but it suits my needs as far as a piece of equipment that takes that amount of realestate and price goes. I really like the fm/ringmod stuff, and I installed some of the various custom oscillators available (the string pluck one, couple others, mutable ports, etc). It sounds really lush overall!

My two main complaint. It's not the most rugged. Especially underneath. It's just plastic. And the wood bit on the back is screwed on the plastic rather than being an actual structural part. And I wish the filter drive was a knob instead of a toggle. It soudns really good so something with more variability feels like a missed opportunity! I don't use the sequencing or automation so no opinion on those.

It's a lot of synth for the price! If I want more complex sounds, I turn to the P08 mki, modular, or dominion 1. But those are not as hands-on or immidiate.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks! I might pick up the module version as I have an Arturia Keystep for midi control.
Faldoe

Return to General Gear