Xerograph Deluxe, redesigned for 2016

Moderator: Taylor Livingston

Xerograph Deluxe, redesigned for 2016

Postby Taylor Livingston » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Something new for you guys to check out:

Image Image

What's new:
- Expression attenuator knob lets you set the perfect sweep and is compatible with any common expression pedal.
- Stomp switch activates/deactivates the envelope follower, allowing you to seamlessly move from envelope filter sounds to static dub or expression sweeps without any knob adjustments. A dual-color LED indicates bypass and envelope status.
- All jacks on top (previously there wasn't enough room to fit the power jack up top - a newly-available part makes this possible now).
- Down envelope mode is retooled to be much more versatile and easy to use.
- The control curves have been reworked to make it easier to dial in your favorite sounds. The same range and depth is still available - it's just easier to zoom in on the most typical sounds.
- Low-noise, low-distortion active circuitry for excellent audio fidelity.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Re: Xerograph Deluxe, redesigned for 2016

Postby Tristan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:34 pm

Holy cows man, I want this!
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Me too!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Yep, nice redesign! :!!!: I might have to pick one of these up at some point. :snax: I loved the Xero Deluxe I had. I just never really used it. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frodog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:53 pm

I use mine a lot, I've had it for less than half a year but I think it's forever. Though this new iteration seems even more useful, envelope switch is awesome, easier to use down mode and top power jack (previous placement on the side is actually in an awkward spot for my board by millimeters). But it's not enough to make me want to flip for this new one, deLUXE as it is. I love that you keep improving on your creations to make them ever more awesome, Taylor!
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Taylor Livingston » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:40 pm

frodog wrote:I use mine a lot, I've had it for less than half a year but I think it's forever. Though this new iteration seems even more useful, envelope switch is awesome, easier to use down mode and top power jack (previous placement on the side is actually in an awkward spot for my board by millimeters). But it's not enough to make me want to flip for this new one, deLUXE as it is. I love that you keep improving on your creations to make them ever more awesome, Taylor!

Thanks! By the way, I do put some consideration into how current owners will feel about new versions - I know how annoying it can be to get something and then have a new version come out immediately after. For that reason, I stopped selling XDs a few months ago when I knew a new version was going to happen.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:13 pm

That's cool of you man! :thumb:

Funny enough, your new Xerograph Deluxe is one of the only filter pedals where you can footswitch between envelope and sweep filter mode and that's exactly what I want.
So yeah, I'll have to swap my old Xerograph Deluxe for the new one, but I'm not bothered by it.

Thank goodness the FrantaBit update isn't so radical that it makes me want to swap my old one out as well though. :lol:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sylnau » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Will this version be better with guitar?
The knobs where not too reacting in some position on the older one I had.
Most of your design seems to be built around bass player.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:40 pm

sylnau wrote:Will this version be better with guitar?
The knobs where not too reacting in some position on the older one I had.
Most of your design seems to be built around bass player.

I don't think that aspect has anything to do with being played with guitar vs. bass. Almost all envelope followers are like that (assuming, of course, you're talking about using it in the envelope follower mode.) :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Taylor Livingston » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm

I normally test anything with basses and guitars before it comes out. But, there are some guitars which have really low output. That's the only factor I can think of that would seem relevant here - is the envelope follower sensitive enough to sweep from a low output guitar?

The Sensitivity knob does have a lot of range, but if I give it just an absurd amount of range to allow for absolutely any imaginable signal level, then for 95% of players, the useful range of the control will be bunched up in a tiny sliver of the knob's throw, and for most users it becomes too hard to find good settings, and they'll write it off as hard to use. These are the trade-off considerations that go into an effect design, where I only have a vague idea of what's going to be going into it, but I have to make some guarantees about what comes out of it. Very tricky!

The knob ranges have been slightly re-configured to eliminate dead areas. At the same time I didn't want to lose any of the sounds that people buy it for; after all, the original reason I started making these pedals was because I was a musician looking for some particular tools, and felt that the available options were too limited.

I think it works great with guitar, and this version is definitely more user-friendly than the old one in general. I would be happy to discuss more details about your setup/chain and make some suggestions, but maybe just having a clean boost pedal at the front of the chain would be a positive addition for anyone with a low-output instrument using envelope-controlled effects.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:03 pm

My guitar is a telecaster and my pickups are Lollar Special T (singlecoil 8.0k) and Lollar Regal (widerange 10.7k).
From what I remember the freq and sens had some range just past 2 o'clock.
The output of the pickup might be the case.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm

For me lower output single coils is where it's at.
Humbuckers other than Filtertron style are really not for me.
I hardly use the Xero clean anyway though, plus I always put filters after dirt.
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mosfed » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 am

I need one of these badly
Mosfed

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am

Mosfed wrote:I need one of these badly

Me too.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:48 am

This may be (/clearly is) a huge necro but I received my new XeroD the other week. Full disclosure, I bought one before the redesign and let it go as it wasn't quite working for me but this new version has addressed every issue I had and then some! The static filter switch is really helpful and I find it a lot easier to dial in sounds I like. This is now the top of my list favourite filter for any application ever!
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Next

Return to Iron Ether