Let's see your GUITAR!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your GUITAR!

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 am

Got finished repainting this NR Firebird, stripped the nasty polyester and repainted in nitro in a much lighter burst and made the headstock sorta like the Bill Frisell Jag look.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

SCHWINNNNNNNG!
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

repoman wrote:Image
Got finished repainting this NR Firebird, stripped the nasty polyester and repainted in nitro in a much lighter burst and made the headstock sorta like the Bill Frisell Jag look.

That's pretty wicked man. Love NR 'birds.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 am

that's super clean, nice job on the refinish,

how do those pickups sound?
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks
FYI If you want some lacquer that checks really well the Watco stuff from Home Depot checks even without heat applied, just a duster can (I always had trouble finding a lacquer that would check)
(I know a lot of ppl hate lelics but I'm a sucker for em for some reason)

Pickups sound really really good, they are from some small builder I never heard of (Great Lakes Pickups) and these pair were on Reverb for 80 bucks used so I took a chance on them. The guitar came with some Burny P90s which were very meh.

It took about 11 hours of this to get down to the wood, Japanese guitars are always coated in this insane polyester shit that's impervious to heat and chemical stripping. It's always so thick the control cavity covers always stick up about 2-3mm when it's painted in the lacquer from difference in thickness of the finish:
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Achtane » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice. Yeah, stripping that finish is a bitch and a half. I tried chemicals once and it was a horrible mess with little effect. Heat gun and scraper for life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 pm

the checking on that is awesome!
I stripped a teisco once and it took several years off my life

you end up doing most of it with sanding?

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 pm

hbombgraphics wrote:the checking on that is awesome!
I stripped a teisco once and it took several years off my life

you end up doing most of it with sanding?

Yes, mostly an orbital and detail sander with like 40-80 grit and it still took that long.

Heres another Japanese guitar that I stripped with the same nuclear war proof shit on it that I basically ruined when trying to repaint it...the heat gun only took off the polyurethane goldtop finish but beneath was that chemically cured polyester shit, this one was a huge hassle because the chemical stripper demolished the binding and I had to learn how to rout and bind and refret it...this one is kind of a mess and has a really weird top, it's so splotchy, some of that is the grain some is from uneven spraying and sanding...hopefully it won't look too retarded when done. I repainted this one at least 10 times trying to get the red wine finish and I'm just sick of dealing with it, it has some weird ass contours from over exuberant sanding in some areas.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Update on my Japanese guitar - no paint stripping for me though ;)

It was found in a skip and is a bit tatty, so I decided to use it to mess around with :)

Until yesterday it had a single P90 with the neck pickup hole covered in electrical tape, now it has two v cheap chinese-made mini humbuckers too.

I had a three way toggle lying around and didn't want the effort of drilling, cutting etc. to fit a 5 way, so the neck and bridge pickups are on the 3 way with the middle pickup on an on/off switch. I can't have the middle pickup on on its own, but I can have all three on at once.

I've not had much time to play it yet as my left ear is playing up, but it sounds good in my right ear :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 pm

NICE

are the chinese mini buckers an ebay purchase?

was no middle only option a choice or a circumstance of the switches you had available?

hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Speaking of which.. I don't remember if I posted an update to the latest mangle of my poor Hohner tele [I've modded it so many times..

3 on/off switches and a volume [I don't know the make of the firebird pickups.. I bought them in the 90s at Subway guitars in Berkeley.. they told me they were from Sweden.. not sure I ever believed them..]
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Paul_C » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm

hbombgraphics wrote:NICE

are the chinese mini buckers an ebay purchase?

was no middle only option a choice or a circumstance of the switches you had available?

I could have wired the middle pickup direct to the jack socket or via its own vol pot, but it's interesting enough as it is for now.

The pickups I bought on ebay for £18 posted ($22) and sound ok - they work nicely with the P90 too, which is a bonus.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:36 pm

i wouldn't believe anything that madman at Subway told me LOL. one evening i was poking around in there and a couple of the employees were talking seriously about how they had PTSD from working there.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 pm

dubkitty wrote:i wouldn't believe anything that madman at Subway told me LOL. one evening i was poking around in there and a couple of the employees were talking seriously about how they had PTSD from working there.

:lol: I'd believe that :lol: I was always amaze by how many times I wanted to buy something but due to fatdog not being there you couldn't buy it because no one new what price anything was suppose to be.. even when everything had a price tag... :picard:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Phosphene Audio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm

The 20 minutes or so I spent at Subway was easily about the worst experience I have had in a music store. The only person there was Fat Dog and my band mates. He was a totally condescending nut case.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass