Ugly Face Fuzz

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Ugly Face Fuzz

Postby eyesandnines88 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi guys, just looking for someone to build me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBsXSU_m1U

Ian is unable to build at the minute so I'm wondering if someone else could make it? I had an ugly face made recently but it just doesn't sound as good, cheers for any help
eyesandnines88

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Ugly Face Fuzz

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm

I built a pretty custom one, with a blend and all the LFO mods ..

But hearing you say the other one you had built didn't sound as good?? I mean it's an ugly face dude, what exactly are you expecting? If you want the video sound you better just get the giga build.

Discuss
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 pm

eyesandnines88 wrote:I had an ugly face made recently but it just doesn't sound as good

I think it is supposed to sound bad. much of that video is an atonal cacophony. maybe you accidentally got one that sounds good and didn't like it? also, the video you posted is actually 3 pedals. you really need to have all 3 and everything exact before you can compare to your own setup. honestly, if it was me, and I actually did want to make crazy sounds like that, I would be buying up pedals that hold value or go up in value.

schumann pll
every single pedal from death by audio

but maybe if you want something very close to an ugly face but less of a hack job you should get this pigtronix mothership (old version big box) used as low as $175. I don't think there is anything wrong with gigahearts at all. I think the ugly face is just one of those wacky designs that can not be called well engineered no matter who it is building it.

don't forget that moog also has lots of pedals with envelopes, LFO's, oscillators, pitch tracking.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eyesandnines88 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 am

BetterOffShred wrote:I built a pretty custom one, with a blend and all the LFO mods ..

But hearing you say the other one you had built didn't sound as good?? I mean it's an ugly face dude, what exactly are you expecting? If you want the video sound you better just get the giga build.

Discuss

not sure if you read the post properly but I wanted it to sound like the gigahearts one, also as mentioned in the above post was the fact that Ian isnt building pedals at the minute so I cant get the gigahearts one.

thanks for the helpful input though
eyesandnines88

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby eyesandnines88 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 am

eatyourguitar wrote:
eyesandnines88 wrote:I had an ugly face made recently but it just doesn't sound as good

I think it is supposed to sound bad. much of that video is an atonal cacophony. maybe you accidentally got one that sounds good and didn't like it? also, the video you posted is actually 3 pedals. you really need to have all 3 and everything exact before you can compare to your own setup. honestly, if it was me, and I actually did want to make crazy sounds like that, I would be buying up pedals that hold value or go up in value.

schumann pll

but maybe if you want something very close to an ugly face but less of a hack job you should get this pigtronix mothership (old version big box) used as low as $175. I don't think there is anything wrong with gigahearts at all. I think the ugly face is just one of those wacky designs that can not be called well engineered no matter who it is building it.

don't forget that moog also has lots of pedals with envelopes, LFO's, oscillators, pitch tracking.

cool, I'll check out the pigtronix thing
eyesandnines88

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby eyesandnines88 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:37 am

eyesandnines88 wrote:
eatyourguitar wrote:

schumann pll

cool, I'll check out the pigtronix thing

after a listen the pigtronix isnt what I'm after

if anyone can help with the ugly face thing, let me know
eyesandnines88

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue May 28, 2019 7:43 am

I started to read up on the Tim Escobedo Ugly Face schematic. the extra mods and LFO from the gigahearts build are not documented anywhere that I could find. there are like 4 kinds of 555 and 5 kinds of 386 so you can build it with sockets and try all 20 permutations. I would not go near a project like this because I would not want to risk OP saying that I built a pedal that is not really what OP wanted. my advice to OP is that this may be the moment you decide that you need to start building guitar pedals so that you can take the time to build things exactly how you want.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue May 28, 2019 10:39 am

That was kind of my point haha..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Fri May 31, 2019 7:58 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:I started to read up on the Tim Escobedo Ugly Face schematic. the extra mods and LFO from the gigahearts build are not documented anywhere that I could find. there are like 4 kinds of 555 and 5 kinds of 386 so you can build it with sockets and try all 20 permutations. I would not go near a project like this because I would not want to risk OP saying that I built a pedal that is not really what OP wanted. my advice to OP is that this may be the moment you decide that you need to start building guitar pedals so that you can take the time to build things exactly how you want.

Is there more going on that this?

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... 14677.html

Faldoe

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 am

What do you mean by more going on? It's a glitch effect, with a rolled vactrol, an LFO and a bunch of mods from the original Escobedo schematic. I spent quite a bit of time on my building getting it to sound the way I wanted, which I'm sure isn't anywhere close to what OP is looking for.

I'm not saying it's a tonebender of glitch, but there is quite a bit of variability possible
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:16 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:What do you mean by more going on?

I believe that was in regards to eyg saying he couldn't find it documented...asking if the one he linked was it or not.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:51 pm

yeah now just need to trace this vero back to a schematic so I can really look at it. I'm not going to draw it if it is not part of a larger job that I have some interest in. I don't live with my mom like when I first started so I don't do this for fun these days.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 am

Jero wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:What do you mean by more going on?

I believe that was in regards to eyg saying he couldn't find it documented...asking if the one he linked was it or not.

Yes, that is what I meant.
Faldoe

Postby digi2t » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 am

The best UF mod I made was to add caps to the input. It can really transform this beast. It can almost cop a PLL fuzz sound in some cases. I really need to sit down and recompile my notes on this, and draw it all out. I did a couple of vids on it a long time ago;

"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby eyesandnines88 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:37 pm

I should just say that a guy on here, ianmarks, built exactly the pedal I wanted. Big thanks to him and also gigahearts for helping out with emulating his original pedal
eyesandnines88

uncommitted
uncommitted

Next

Return to DIY Effects