String Swing

Moderator: Ghost Hip

String Swing

Postby lost in music » Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 am

Hey, I have kinda a dumb question. I recently bought a String Swing to mount my guitar on the wall. So many years of stuffing it behind the couch when not in use, lol.

Anyway, I notice when I take it down to play (which is not very often these days) that the tuning on the guitar has usually gone a half-step or full step sharp. This is contrary to what I'm used to in other storage situations that I've known - freestanding, guitar stand, or case - where the guitar tended to go half a step flat after a prolonged period of disuse. Have never in my life had a guitar go sharp on me.

Is this common with String Swing-type wall hangers? If so, are there downsides to this?
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Re: String Swing

Postby Chankgeez » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

I've never used a wall hanger. I've had guitars go sharp. :idk:

I think it has to do with temperature. :idk: Maybe hanging on the wall, the guitar is exposed to different temperature fluctuations as opposed to being in the more "temperature protected" places you've kept it before (case, stand, laying about)? :idk: Just a guess. Although, it may also have something to do with the tension on the neck. :idk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIvosZ4Z48
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby adamajah » Wed May 15, 2019 12:20 pm

I use those too and don’t find they affect tuning. But temperature does a lot. If that’s happening to you though it makes me wonder if the neck on your guitar has truss rod issues. I dunno
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby lost in music » Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Could be temperature. We've been going through the springtime dance of "oh, it's beautiful, open all the windows/oh, it's cold, turn the heat on/jeez it's hot crank the AC". Will keep my eye on things. Thanks guys!
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby voerking » Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 am

to chime in regarding temperature...is the hanger mounted on an exterior wall? or right in the blast of air flow from a vent?

back in the days when a lot of people had pianos in their homes, it was common knowledge not to put them up against an exterior wall, because the temp swings would affect the tuning. same concept applies here.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar and Bass