Zoom MEGA Thread (ms-50g , ms-70CDR , G1 , G3n, ....)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Zoom MEGA Thread (ms-50g , ms-70CDR , G1 , G3n, ....)

Postby fcknoise » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:28 am

ognoy wrote:
fcknoise wrote:
Sonaboy wrote:
ibarakishi wrote:also quite a few loop junky type settings online, some decent, others not so useful for things ive been doing

Anyone with a synth station at home should have one of the MS70s on the desk. They are way too great & cheap to pass up.
There's a reddit board that houses a bunch of "soundalike" settings for pedals like the Blue Sky, Lofi Junkie, Cooper Generation, Seek Wah, etc.
I'm starting to look closely at the newer G3N, which seems to have a better workflow, but much of the same FX inside.

This lofi-junky shit you talking about is for sure making me want one for synth use. Am I wrong in remembering that it is one effect at a time?

You are wrong.

Cream. I love being wrong about certain things
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:48 am

You can get up to 6 effects at once depending on DSP.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 am

ognoy wrote:
fcknoise wrote:
Sonaboy wrote:
ibarakishi wrote:also quite a few loop junky type settings online, some decent, others not so useful for things ive been doing

Anyone with a synth station at home should have one of the MS70s on the desk. They are way too great & cheap to pass up.
There's a reddit board that houses a bunch of "soundalike" settings for pedals like the Blue Sky, Lofi Junkie, Cooper Generation, Seek Wah, etc.
I'm starting to look closely at the newer G3N, which seems to have a better workflow, but much of the same FX inside.

This lofi-junky shit you talking about is for sure making me want one for synth use. Am I wrong in remembering that it is one effect at a time?

You are wrong.

you are right and wrong at the same time, kind of. you can create 'chains' of effects which then sound like more complicated pedals (like the lofi-junky). So if you are using your zoom like this then there is a way for you to switch on and off your whole chain of effects that create that sound with one click. You can save up to 50 'chains' of effects. Some effects are more hungry for resources than others though, so its easy to max out your dsp if you are stacking tons of reverbs and delays together.

But you can also use the zoom as if it were a small pedal board too with a chain of effects that you individually want to switch each on off or on as you play. Its super easy to mod and connect an extended foot switch expander to make this more easy live instead of having to use your hands to menu dive through presets and such if thats an issue.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:48 am

also one thing that i enjoy about the zoom just as much as making interesting effects is that you can modify problems in pedals that you already have and save those presets. For example, i own an echo degrader and i really have wanted for the longest time to stick a treble booster of some sort in it at the tail end of the effect to be able to brighten the signal and also push it even more into saturated dirt vs. dark and almost soft delay. I can do this now with my zoom, among a ton of other things, without wasting tons of space or needing to modify my echo degrader pedal. Ive save settings for a few situations like that are extremely useful for my own wants/needs for recording and playing live this year
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby Sonaboy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 am

fcknoise wrote:

Yeah, like if you try and chain three long tail reverbs at once, the thing bonks (but it will just tell you 'no memory available' not glitch or mute) but I haven't yet been able to create any usable patches where this occurs.
And they're so stupid cheap, if you really DID need to stack resource-hungry effects like that, you could just get another and put it next to the other one and it would still cost less than one Strymon. lol
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:54 am

Sonaboy wrote:
fcknoise wrote:

Yeah, like if you try and chain three long tail reverbs at once, the thing bonks (but it will just tell you 'no memory available' not glitch or mute) but I haven't yet been able to create any usable patches where this occurs.
And they're so stupid cheap, if you really DID need to stack resource-hungry effects like that, you could just get another and put it next to the other one. lol

^this.

ive decided on getting another ms50 in the near future simply to be able to feed some of the more hungry effects into each other too. its kind of a no brainer at the price and the quality of the sounds. if you are running nice drives, fuzz, etc. pedals into the zoom, or after, anything you do with delay/mod/reverb in the zoom comes to life and isn't all that sterile IMO. If i had to use the zoom solely on its own it would be a bit cold, but throw any decent overdrive, treble booster, preamp, or distortion/fuzz into the combo and you are really hard pressed to find many things to complain about
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby shikawkee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:04 am

"Lo Fi Junky" settings. Mod to taste:

Module 1 Line select
Module 2 Rack Comp
THRSH 50
Ratio 5
Level 30
ATTCK 10
Module 3 COMP
Sense 10
Tone 5
Level 40
ATTCK Fast
Module 4 Graphic EQ
160 -6
400 2
800 -2
3.2 -4
6.4 -8
12 -12
Level 100
Module 5 Vibrato
Depth 100
Rate 10
Bal 90
Tone 3
Level 120
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby RolandJC120 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Posting. I think I have a few things from the reddit mega thread saved
RolandJC120

interested
interested

Postby fldrvr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Got a link to the thread?
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Reactivating this thread as my MS-70CDR arrived this week!

I actually spent some time after I ordered it reading up online + watching videos, so as soon as it arrived, the first thing I did was plug it into the computer, clear out all the factory patches and add a bunch of ones I found online — ambient stuff, signal manglers, pseudo-random modulation, etc. Ended up with 30+ loaded in, though some of those will go when I figure out what works for me and what doesn't.

Made my first patch as well! A work in progress, but shows some promise:

I have this thing in a loop of my mixer for now, so I can send various signals to it. Had a quick jam with a friend and it brought me much joy.

Early fave, for pairing with ambient loops, is one called Space Organ.

What larks, Pip!
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Thu May 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:Reactivating this thread as my MS-70CDR arrived this week!

I actually spent some time after I ordered it reading up online + watching videos, so as soon as it arrived, the first thing I did was plug it into the computer, clear out all the factory patches and add a bunch of ones I found online — ambient stuff, signal manglers, pseudo-random modulation, etc. Ended up with 30+ loaded in, though some of those will go when I figure out what works for me and what doesn't.

Made my first patch as well! A work in progress, but shows some promise:

I have this thing in a loop of my mixer for now, so I can send various signals to it. Had a quick jam with a friend and it brought me much joy.

Early fave, for pairing with ambient loops, is one called Space Organ.

What larks, Pip!

welcome to the family
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 am

Got my ms-50g last week. Had some stuff from the varying communities already on it. There’s some sweet stuff. Gonna mess with it more this week.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:52 am

The power these Multistomps is the ability to create presets and chains of multiple effects.
For example all my reverb preset are chains of at least 2 different reverbs, with maybe amodulation in between. This way you can achieve really beautiful sounds.
I have a Meris Mercury 7, and with my MS70 I was able to fake some of the sound I get from the M7 (by combining plate reverb, spacehole reverb and the pitch delay). Of course it's not the same, but you can get really close.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 am

gila_crisis wrote:The power these Multistomps is the ability to create presets and chains of multiple effects.
For example all my reverb preset are chains of at least 2 different reverbs, with maybe amodulation in between. This way you can achieve really beautiful sounds.
I have a Meris Mercury 7, and with my MS70 I was able to fake some of the sound I get from the M7 (by combining plate reverb, spacehole reverb and the pitch delay). Of course it's not the same, but you can get really close.

Yeah, I was fucking around last night and there is just a lot of “ambient pads” in a box type sounds in this thing.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am

if you haven't already odontophobia, update the newest software on it and try out the lofi delay, lofi reverb, and the tremolo verb stacked with other effects. Those by far have been the 3 most used modules in the ms50g. If i have a minute i will share a patch or two using them that i have enjoyed. I just used mine for a show on saturday in Bangkok and it was such a stress reliever / ease to use with looper. Made it possible so that i could just show up with 4 pedals, plug into the in house amp, and get things done without having to think about anything. Set up all my patches in order of my set list so that for each step that required the zoom i could just scroll down to the next part without having to think twice about anything.
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear