Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Leccy sent me a Divvy board a while back, I should build it.

I run my low gain percolator into all kinds of stuff, it does a great job of pushing harmonic content :idk:

I think clipping on percolator sound really good, but it slays the volume so I like to run a boost after, AMZ mosfet boost as it hairs a bit by itself. I also have been playing around with a pot for bias voltage, you can get some nifty motorboating and shit out of my variant with germanium clipping engaged. I've also gone with some resistance between ground and the hard clipping and added a pot so you can really tune in how much clipping you want. I love running it into a fuzz to get pretty gnarly compression
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:25 pm

:snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:06 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Leccy sent me a Divvy board a while back, I should build it.

Me too! Populated the board but never wired it up/boxed it :facepalm:

Dandolin has been letting me borrow a couple of his for a while now (I promise you'll get them back soon :hug: )
MAE Clang, MA Harmonic Dominator, Dirge Even Anguish, and Dunn (don't remember name)...They each have their own flavor to them.
I think the Dominator is my favorite over all. Then maybe the Anguish. It does that bright low gain thing nicely.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

ck3 wrote:6) Catalinbread Karma Suture: I once referred to this as a neutered version of the circuit (when exclusively using solid state amplification) and am now finding it to be another one of my favorites and the second most versatile perc on hand.

8) Zander Circuitry V3 Cafetiere: More clipping options than anything else on the board along with starve, tone, footswitchable dual gain, and pregain bass controls. The germanium mode is still significantly quieter compared to other variants, but can self oscillate at more extreme settings.

Is there much of a crossover between these two in terms of the controls? Does the 'Feed' on the Zander do the same/similar thing as the 'Density' on the Karma?
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby ck3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:23 pm

They manipulate gain and girth in much the same way. The JDM Little Steamer "Roast" knob and Porkolator "In" control also do something comparable.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 am

Ok I've been lurking this thread on and off and I'm intrigued. Tho I hear some people say it's Albini in a box and I don't understand. I thought his sound was the IVP (and silverface later) and the perc was just his fuck off noise button? Does he really use it as a dirt box?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 am

I think you're right about his use of the Perc and the IVP. I'm a fan of his music but not seeking his tone :idk: My use of the Perc is pretty different than Albini's, though some of the settings I use are pretty clangy. I think it is its own thing by now, though credit Steve for shining a light on it....

Also, as someone who comes from a family of eight kids, it seems right to me that, while almost all Percs exhibit a family resemblance, there are some pretty wide divergences from the mean in individual builds :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:10 am

Dandolin wrote:I think you're right about his use of the Perc and the IVP. I'm a fan of his music but not seeking his tone :idk: My use of the Perc is pretty different than Albini's, though some of the settings I use are pretty clangy. I think it is its own thing by now, though credit Steve for shining a light on it....

Also, as someone who comes from a family of eight kids, it seems right to me that, while almost all Percs exhibit a family resemblance, there are some pretty wide divergences from the mean in individual builds :snax:

Understandable, reading about it it seems to be the least consistent fuzz circuit ever (which, honestly, is kinda sexy) so get what you're trying to say. It seems like a really fun fuzz though and very different from your old FF/tonebender/meathead/whatever, I dig how clean it seems to get.

Asking about the Albini-in-a-box thing cause relistening to mid-era big black (Atomizer especially) the guitars are especially noisy and hissy and it got me wondering if he actually used it as a fuzz. There is a bunch of chorus and junk on the guitars though and I know he sometimes runs the IVP into the board live so it may be something like that that makes it sound so noisy.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:45 pm

I also think ol' Steve enjoys the presence of a bit of a haze around his methods. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few occasions where he left a Perc on for more than just a momentary blast, but I do think the core of his sound is elsewhere. If I was looking for one pedal to cop Albiniesque tones (other than one based on the IVP), I think I'd probs choose an Infanem Driving Notion moreso than any Perc....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Don't know who this dude thinks he is, but I'm not drinkin' his Kool-aid (it tastes poorly):

https://reverb.com/item/22524113-harmon ... ade-by-jim

:barf:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Wow, that guy is a big fan of himself
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:01 pm

But it's made by Jim!
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Jim?

:picard:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Waste of a perfectly good knob game. Jim.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear