Stripboard build - first question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Stripboard build - first question

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:15 am

also check out arrow, they have some of their warehouses in europe
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am

Once I have some spare funds, and assuming the bug bites when I start on the first build, I'll look properly into all these suppliers - I'd pictured myself working through various builds one at a time, not stockpiling boxes full of components, but that does sound like something I would end up doing, so I suppose I might as well look into it ;)

It occurred to me yesterday that I could build a Cornish-style multi fx "unit" with a whole bunch of things all attached to one board, maybe with in and out jacks so I can swap the order around. It's the sort of "mad scientist" approach that would definitely appeal to my sense of fun :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am

What generally works well is to just order extra of whatever you need for your current project. Thing's will come out cheaper in quantity and you'll start having to not have to buy everything next time.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:27 am

Heh - that has already started - I bought a couple of stripboards instead of one, at least one more of the capacitors and transistors than I needed and a starter pack of resistors rather than just a few ;)

The only things I haven't bought extra for are the enclosure, the footswitch and the pots, and I have one or two of all of those here already :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:38 am

Resistors and caps and stuff are so damn cheap you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to just get a bunch. The shipping is more than 100 of each usually. :)

I have extra boxes and pots and stomps.. but I didn't for the first year or so. That's natural. I highly recommend stockpiling transistors and opamps once you get a few builds going... It's nice to be able to breadboard something you're sort of interested in
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Breadboarding is definitely something I want to get to before long, tinkering with things and creating something unique appeals massively - even if it's making sounds that are bordering on the unusable :) My use of the pedals I have now always contains an element of "I wonder what it would sound like if I turn this and that on too".

I was going to say that anything would be cool as long as it doesn't catch fire, but even that would be a tale worth telling so I'm not ruling it out ;)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Paul_C wrote:Breadboarding is definitely something I want to get to before long, tinkering with things and creating something unique appeals massively - even if it's making sounds that are bordering on the unusable :) My use of the pedals I have now always contains an element of "I wonder what it would sound like if I turn this and that on too".

I was going to say that anything would be cool as long as it doesn't catch fire, but even that would be a tale worth telling so I'm not ruling it out ;)

You're not truly having fun until a pot catches fire :flame:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Have you checked Arrow electronics? They have a euro warehouse and usually have free overnight shipping. Newark/Element 13 is UK based and they always have coupons for 15% off or so.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 am

I'll check all suggestions out when I next get to ordering stuff.

The last of the bits have arrived so I can make a start when I have a minute free (probably Saturday).

One package arrived containing 100 3.3M resistors - I only needed one, and if I go with the Hyperion 2 build I won't even need that ;) so stocking up has begun !
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 am

Unless you're ordering like 1/2 watt carbon comps or something most places won't even clip off less than 10 ;)

If you're into Devi stuff, the Improbability drive used a bunch of 3.3M as I recall :)*
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

I've got 12 layouts from the Guitar FX Layouts site on my "possibles" list but none of them are DE.

I doubt I'll build them all, and even if I build a number of them I'd quite like to try tinkering before too long, so they may well differ from the layouts if I'm successful*.

I'm sure I'll find some use for some of them eventually :)

*nothing catches fire
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm sure no-one is surprised, least of all me, to discover that I've ordered some more bits :)

I realised that some of the capacitors I'd ordered were ridiculously huge compared to the board I wanted to attach them to, but just ordering four capacitors seemed silly, so I'll soon have enough parts to build a Random Number Generator too :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Paul_C wrote:I'm sure no-one is surprised, least of all me, to discover that I've ordered some more bits :)

I realised that some of the capacitors I'd ordered were ridiculously huge compared to the board I wanted to attach them to, but just ordering four capacitors seemed silly, so I'll soon have enough parts to build a Random Number Generator too :)

More parts is typically not a bad thing ;) . Capacitors usually have different codes designating type/size, but they aren't always listed, and can be hard to tell some times anyway. Also, the higher the voltage rating, the larger they will be usually. Something to keep in mind.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:36 pm

If you're not trying to be hella cheap, box caps seem to be the best size/voltage/capacitance.. but they are like 10x as expensive as ceramic or film.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 am

Box caps are just film caps in a certain package style. They range in price and values like any other film cap i believe. Most cheap diy kits have box style too . just look for anything around 5mm to fit most vero layouts.

Heres a good little thing about caps for pedals
https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/04/ca ... hoose.html
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects