Overdrive for Bass (DOD 250 style)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Overdrive for Bass (DOD 250 style)

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Corey Y wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have one of the old 2000's reissues (picked it up in 2008? for like something like 20-30) but Skully modded it in 2013 so I haven't used a proper 250 in a long time. They're rad. I kind of regret not picking up another reissue to leave stock.

I think mine is one of the 90's ones, I got it in 2002 I think and it was super old and beatup looking then. It rattled like a maraca when I picked it up and looked like it had been dragged behind a truck, but it was the best sounding dirt box in the entire store with a bass (I tried all of them and promised the guy at the counter I would buy one) and also happened to be the cheapest (seriously, it was less than $25 out the door with tax). Someone modded it for me a decade later, nothing circuit wise, just replaced the pots (which were super loose) and put a Boss style power jack in for me. I still always bring it with me if I go jam with new people and half the time I end up using it. It's not super flexible, but for an always on dirty tone, it just always sounds good to me. Several people saw me using one at gigs or practices in old bands and bought one, only to be disappointed with it. I've never owned any of the newer ones, so I've got no clue if they're really that different or what. I will never sell mine, because I got it so cheap and it's been so consistently reliable and great sounding.

They do sound different but it's different in the way that the MIT and MIJ Boss versions of the pedals sound different. But basically the "new" 2000's versions (no LED) use a 4558 chip instead of a 741 so they are a little gnarlier in the high end. I haven't had a chance to try the most recent reissue so I can't speak to that one.

But yes. Glorious pedals. Glorious circuit. three figures is an old one is silly though.

Stoked to hear what people think of the Grey Channel, that's a cool box.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tom Von Kramm » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:16 pm

D.o.S. wrote:They do sound different but it's different in the way that the MIT and MIJ Boss versions of the pedals sound different. But basically the "new" 2000's versions (no LED) use a 4558 chip instead of a 741 so they are a little gnarlier in the high end. I haven't had a chance to try the most recent reissue so I can't speak to that one.

Quite correct.

To fill in the blanks, the updated Gold 250 (2013) use the LM741 OPA.
Hi I'm Tom Cram, I'm the Main Dude at Spiral Electric FX.
Tom Von Kramm

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 pm

qersty wrote:gray channel looks very nice, i used to gas pretty hard for it when it first came out and ngl this thread has made me gas pretty hard for some 250 as well. No clipping mode seems really useful. Does anybody know if somebody has made a 250 with a bax eq or is that too close to OCD territory?

I have one with an HM-2 EQ and clipping options and it basically just sounds like a super pissed off OCD
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

BoatRich wrote:
qersty wrote:gray channel looks very nice, i used to gas pretty hard for it when it first came out and ngl this thread has made me gas pretty hard for some 250 as well. No clipping mode seems really useful. Does anybody know if somebody has made a 250 with a bax eq or is that too close to OCD territory?

I have one with an HM-2 EQ and clipping options and it basically just sounds like a super pissed off OCD

That sound awesome! What diodes you got?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BoatRich » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm

qersty wrote:
BoatRich wrote:

That sound awesome! What diodes you got?

Silicon, Germanium, and LED I think? The LED mode is insanely loud and my main boost. It still does the bass cut at high gain that the OCD doesn’t too. Adding it back in with the EQ is a lot tighter than trying to cut it there.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby omarwhite » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

I passed on a Gray Channel this weekend at a killer price at the EQD chili cookoff. regretting that (in)decision
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Got my Gray Channel today - only messed around with it at low volumes but I really really like it.

I'm actually glad I grabbed this over a 250 reissue - I really like the silicone setting and I really like the no diodes as a clean boost - I feel like I am heavily debating taking it to a gig tonight even though I am not dialed in to it yet just as I love how my bass sounds with it on....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby SMS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm

https://loopholepedals.com/products/grey-matter

This 250 inspired pedal has my interest, sort of like the gray channel but stackable and with a couple different clipping diode options, I like the saturation of the diodes option.

I use to have the gray channel and miss it. The Pelican noiseworks 50/50 also has my interest.
Pelican Noiseworks 50-50 V2 2018 Black

Just found out about the Salt Box, I’d love to get one of those on my bass pedalboard.
Eivind August wrote:MAKE ILF FUZZ AGAIN!
SMS

involved
involved

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:32 pm

Looks interesting. :snax:

Wouldn't mind checkin' out a Spiral Electric FX Yellow Spiral as well.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby SMS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Ah yeah the yellow spiral drive too, The rotary control interests me, not sure about the N2 making much difference with bass. I’d like to get one to find out though.
Eivind August wrote:MAKE ILF FUZZ AGAIN!
SMS

involved
involved

Postby retinal orbita » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 pm

K2000 wrote:The DOD 250 is okay, but the limited controls on it are... limiting.

So I am coming back to say in retrospect I agree with this comment. I tried out an ODB-3 and instantly realized that was the sound I was looking for. I snagged it super cheap and I really like the blend and it’s “grit” where with a Muff I don’t find the blend as necessary.

So I have this little yellow box I dialed in perfectly in 2 minutes and do I keep the Grey Channel? I feel like it will just wind up collecting dust. :idk: I love the no diodes boost but will that be enough to keep on my board?

Also could put together an all Boss board - CS-2, HM-2, ODB-3, DD7?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:24 am

Sounds like you might as well flip it. There are probably better 250s if you just want no diodes. Idk how you set it but that mosky clone without the volume knob seems like it would work well for that if you snip the diodes
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 am

I probably will just wind up flipping it :facepalm:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:16 pm

The all boss board sounds rad.

ODB-3 was my bass distortion for a long time and I can't remember when or why I sold it. :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear