B.o.S. builds a .. Rando winter build part 2..

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. Rando winter build part 2..

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Hey thanks Man! :) like I said it's based off the standard noise swash with some of the rack mount swash sprinkled in.. everything works now, including my custom CV control and LFO.. the switchable mixing is pretty dope too.. with a guitar input the resistor mixing is bananas as it mixes clean signal and motorboats and does weird shit.. the diode mixing is rad for self oscillating no input mode. It's a really fun device.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 am

I've just taken a step further down the rabbit hole ;)

From buying complete kits to buying a load of components and some stripboard :)

I'm going to start gently with one of two DE schematics on Guitar FX Layouts, either an LP or OK as they share a lot of components.

If I manage to get it working then I'll try something a bit more adventurous.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Built a Model-T preamp based off the 1974 schematic. Zack from tagboard did a layout and it's pretty good. I modded it just a bit to get my Jfets to bias up. Used J113's, they sounded meatier than the 201s. I also am messing with the input resistors which are only present to remove RF noise in the amp. I may go with some toroidal chokes I got from China..

Also I always like reverse audio taper for gains so I got 2 C1M pots coming before I finally box it.

The model T has this mystique that surrounds it, but it's not so different from a Bassman with a few values changed and a presence control.. it sounds beefy dimed though.

Anyway heres the box, I have been using "Decoart Craft Twinkles" sparkle/glitter paint for over the top glitter shenanigans and it really sparkles. :)
Attachments
20190217_095556_crop_541x453.jpg
20190217_095556_crop_541x453.jpg (280.84 KiB) Viewed 6534 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Got some new boots at Cabelas .. stopped into Joann fabric and got the rest of the Decoart Craft Twinkles colors. So dope. Going to start drilling a custom enclosure tonight .. It's a surprise build that I've been pumped on for years. Steel enclosure though.. glad I bought some new bits.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzonaut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 am

Cool stuff - and I'm glad to see you're back. :thumb:
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks man :)*

I'm kind of working through my projects list slowly trying to get my To Do table clear. Lots of projects on there at various levels of completion.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Can confirm, C1M better gain sweep on model-T gain stages. Has very nice amp-like breakup now as you turn the gain(s) up, the Audio taper was all bunched up obviously, and had a huge dead spot.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:52 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Built a Model-T preamp based off the 1974 schematic. Zack from tagboard did a layout and it's pretty good. I modded it just a bit to get my Jfets to bias up. Used J113's, they sounded meatier than the 201s. I also am messing with the input resistors which are only present to remove RF noise in the amp. I may go with some toroidal chokes I got from China..

Also I always like reverse audio taper for gains so I got 2 C1M pots coming before I finally box it.

The model T has this mystique that surrounds it, but it's not so different from a Bassman with a few values changed and a presence control.. it sounds beefy dimed though.

Anyway heres the box, I have been using "Decoart Craft Twinkles" sparkle/glitter paint for over the top glitter shenanigans and it really sparkles. :)

That glitter is sick. How complicated is that tagboard? Got a gut pic?
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:15 pm

It's not too bad you need some 20k trimmers though I suspect 10k would work. I replaced the 470ks with trimmers and dialed in even more meat. The 68ks are only for RF as in the amp so I put 100r in there .. it might be a little hitter .. not sure ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Still trying to finish this damn steel enclosure. I'm going to just buy some custom bits for steel. The step bits are piss poor. I got bit by some if the wadded up shrapnel.
Attachments
20190225_162646_crop_367x367.jpg
20190225_162646_crop_367x367.jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am

Well I finished some builds. The build that started my whole post here .. the Gristleizer. Finally finished boxing it.. I foolishly decided to cram it in a BB, and everything is off board on the MusicPCB board.. but I got it eventually.

Then the Escobedo (my hero) ugly face with LFO and a couple of mods. Put a blend knob in that mixes straight 386 distortion all the way to the left with full on uglyface bleep bloop on the right. Great mod. The LFO and ramp mod are out There, but not a lot of info on tweaking it. I went with the original sensitivity values .. it can still get down to where It isn't always self oscillating .. lots of fun.

And yes they are the same color. Only two orange boxes I ever bought, 2 years ago.. finished them both in the last week hehe
Attachments
JPEG_20190307_191713_crop_450x654.jpg
JPEG_20190307_191713_crop_450x654.jpg (214.04 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
JPEG_20190228_164607_crop_431x335.jpg
JPEG_20190228_164607_crop_431x335.jpg (115.03 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:54 am

Nice :)

I'm currently trying to clear a backlog of guitar repair work so I can relax and do some more building, so it's always nice to see some inspiration :)

IIRC my next build (which I'm still waiting for a couple of bits for) is based on the Ugly Face, so I'll be waiting with anticipation for you to post a video.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:05 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Then the Escobedo (my hero) ugly face with LFO and a couple of mods. Put a blend knob in that mixes straight 386 distortion all the way to the left with full on uglyface bleep bloop on the right. Great mod. The LFO and ramp mod are out There, but not a lot of info on tweaking it. I went with the original sensitivity values .. it can still get down to where It isn't always self oscillating .. lots of fun.

Sounds like a winning combo of mods and looks spiffy, too. :thumb: :drool: :love:
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks Chaz.. Yeah it's pretty solid. Love the sounds. It's quite terrible, the LFO part occurs on top of the existing fuzz rather than making it basically a fuzz tremolo.. so setting the speed super slow gives you a surprise every now and then.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm

EDIT cause I hit "Submit" prematurely: Yo... bring this thread back!
This thread is the equivalent to VH1 classic shows in the early 2000s. Once the channel lost funding... all the fans were pissed their obscure niche shows were gone.

Thanks a lot Viacom!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects