collector//emitter

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: collector//emitter

Postby adamajah » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Nice! Thanks for putting that together. It must be difficult trying to record pedal demos surrounded by all the madness.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby ts50b » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks everyone! It definitely was hard getting good clips with so much going on. I even was worried that the audio didn't come out well and I'd have to scrap it all, but didn't have time to double check each recording (luckily they were fine). Next time I do something like this I'll most likely plan a bit more ahead

Chankgeez wrote:… and I think I saw a purple pedal in there. :snax: :love: :cool:

There were a few purple pedals, but I left out the most purple - the Rose. Even ignoring the ugliness, I played it as was super unimpressed price-wise and feature-wise compared to a lot of the other amazing delays that have been coming out recently.
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm

You've gotta figure out some sort of steady cam for next year -- not really necessary for most demos you do. So mostly ignore this because why invest in that for once a year, but still.

I wish you had had more time with each pedal, would've liked to hear some more with a few of those just running one at a time, etc. Gotta wait for your demos to come through. :D
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tom Von Kramm » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 pm

ts50b wrote:
Here's my NAMM recap with clips from some of my favorites and explanations of what I didn't get to!
The clips are Keeley Eccos + DDR
Fuzzrocious Mantis + Grey Stache + Knob Jawn
Deep Space Devices Bit Crush/Ring Mod Delay Prototype
SolidGoldFX Sub Octave Fuzz Prototype + Athena Phaser + Counter Current
Cooper FX Prototype/Outward V2
Caroline Guitar Co Somersault + Megabyte + Meteore
Rainger Drone Rainger + Deep Space Pulsar
Native Audio Catches Two + Midnight
OBNE Rever + Dweller
KMA Queequeg + Dead Stag + Horizont
Red Panda Particle + Tensor

I didn't get audio of the Chase Bliss stuff because my setup wouldn't have done it justice (just a zoom and line in for all of this), but I got some b-roll and explained as much as I could

It was cool to meet you and thank you for the shout-out!
Hi I'm Tom Cram, I'm the Main Dude at Spiral Electric FX.
Tom Von Kramm

committed
committed

Postby ts50b » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:09 pm

odontophobia wrote:You've gotta figure out some sort of steady cam for next year -- not really necessary for most demos you do. So mostly ignore this because why invest in that for once a year, but still.

I wish you had had more time with each pedal, would've liked to hear some more with a few of those just running one at a time, etc. Gotta wait for your demos to come through. :D

I gotta figure out both of these for next time I do something like this. I film everything on my phone, so a gimbal wouldn't be too pricey to get but that wouldn't solve the shakeyness when set up on the table. I've got some brainstorming to do! And I believe I could probably get more time by just asking and being patient. Chase Bliss (and I'm sure most others) was happy to give me the time but I wasn't really set up to record an amp well so I was a bit worried about trying that.

Tom Von Kramm wrote:It was cool to meet you and thank you for the shout-out!

It was great to meet you too Tom! Thanks for taking the time to chat and show me your pedals :)*
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 pm

that's awesome, dude.

I'm really looking to get a deeper look at somersault, it seems pretty cool.
also the paradox chorus seemed cool. but some of the demos seem to go for the most absurd, whacked out fast chorus sounds and I get impatient waiting to see if they'll circle back to slow and subtle.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am

Loved the Fuzzrocious part, the mantis seems to be a really aggressive one. I would have loved to hear the Knob Jawn by itself, but his time will come. Useless to say the new Cooperfx is really interesting, and also the Particle V2, same with that bitcrusher/ringmod prototype.
Side note, what did you used to record the audio? Line out to...?
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fever606 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 am

odontophobia wrote:also the paradox chorus seemed cool. but some of the demos seem to go for the most absurd, whacked out fast chorus sounds and I get impatient waiting to see if they'll circle back to slow and subtle.

Patiently waiting for their own demo of the Futura for that very reason...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ts50b » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Dowi wrote:Loved the Fuzzrocious part, the mantis seems to be a really aggressive one. I would have loved to hear the Knob Jawn by itself, but his time will come. Useless to say the new Cooperfx is really interesting, and also the Particle V2, same with that bitcrusher/ringmod prototype.

Hopefully I'll have the Knob Jawn and Playing Mantis sometime soon to do individual demos. We had been talking about it but they ran into manufacturing issues that slowed things down

And everything was direct into my Zoom H4n. I think it sounds pretty good for non-dirt pedals, but I did less dirt pedal clips because they don't always turn out well.

As far as the Paradox chorus goes, it's definitely easy to get caught up in the weird stuff it can do. You can dial it back, especially if you pull out the envelope function, but I guess part of it's charm is the weird. Thats kinda why I love the Somersault so much - its easy to switch between weird and simple, and both sound great
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:50 am

ts50b wrote:
Dowi wrote:Loved the Fuzzrocious part, the mantis seems to be a really aggressive one. I would have loved to hear the Knob Jawn by itself, but his time will come. Useless to say the new Cooperfx is really interesting, and also the Particle V2, same with that bitcrusher/ringmod prototype.

Hopefully I'll have the Knob Jawn and Playing Mantis sometime soon to do individual demos. We had been talking about it but they ran into manufacturing issues that slowed things down

And everything was direct into my Zoom H4n. I think it sounds pretty good for non-dirt pedals, but I did less dirt pedal clips because they don't always turn out well.

As far as the Paradox chorus goes, it's definitely easy to get caught up in the weird stuff it can do. You can dial it back, especially if you pull out the envelope function, but I guess part of it's charm is the weird. Thats kinda why I love the Somersault so much - its easy to switch between weird and simple, and both sound great

Good to know.

Think you'll be demoing either/both? Looking forward to whatever.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby shikawkee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:35 am

Cool rundown man! You caught a few things I missed. Kudos!
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:06 am

shikawkee wrote:Cool rundown man! You caught a few things I missed. Kudos!

Thanks! I mostly stayed in the pedal area just for my sanity, so I saw pretty much all the pedal stuff but missed out on most everything else

And hopefully I'll get a Somersault and Futura to demo. I'll have to reach out to both of them and see (or sell some stuff to get the Somersault because I love it)
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 am

thanks for sharing your demo. how did you like the megabyte and is it anything like an echodegrader? there wasn't a lot of audio in your video but from what you shared im really wanting to hear more. also how was the lofi modulator? really interested in these pedals a lot this year. didn't see you check out any amps either really but thought i would ask if you stopped by the orange booth as well to check out their new amps this year
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby sylnau » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:57 am

Can't wait for the Somersault... seems so great!
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:50 am

Yeah, I focused on the Somersault a bit more in that clip than I did the Megabyte (a downside of this format). I've played plenty of Kilobytes but never owned one, and messing with the Megabyte and Kilobyte side-by-side I noticed they're almost exactly the same except for the few upgrades - tap tempo, more delay time, and supposedly less noise.

And I actually didn't check out a single amp booth. I'm not a big amp guy and mostly stick with my Music Man because it does what I need it to do. I did however play a few Supro and Benson amps at different booths and loved both. I need to get myself a Benson Monarch because it really made the Caroline dirt pedals sound fantastic
ts50b

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear