Strymon Volante

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Strymon Volante

Postby echorec » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

I suppose this warrants a standalone thread, since I imagine we'll be talking about this on-and-off for the foreseeable future. :snax:

here's a specs summary:

street price $399 / €380* (pre-orders are open at the direct store, CME, Sweetwater, et cetera)
dedicated MIDI I/O
8 internal presets, 300 presets available via external control
DSP spring reverb
(3) sub-modes: Drum (the vintage Echorec used a magnetic drum with wound wire), Tape (not sure if this is a composite or modeled after a specific unit), Studio (reel-to-reel emulation, it's the cleanest of the 3 modes)

https://www.strymon.net/products/volante/

17-min, in-depth tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpE0TreydZs

Set Playback Level and Feedback for Each Head.
Each head’s playback level can be set for full volume, half volume, or off. Independent of playback level, you can switch each head in or out of the feedback circuit. You can even switch heads into the feedback circuit that are not activated for playback. All of this control allows the creation of interesting and complex rhythmic patterns as well as unique atmospheric delay textures.

Variable Head Spacing.
On some vintage multi-head tape echo machines, the heads were not evenly spaced, which created interesting sonic interactions when multiple heads were set to repeat. Volante gives you a SPACING control that is adjustable between Even, Triplet, Golden Ratio (for dense, non-overlapping echoes) and Silver Ratio (for non-overlapping repeats biased toward the quarter note). The spacing between the heads is continuously variable for the entire travel of the SPACING knob, morphing between the available settings.

Mirror Universe.
In Sound on Sound mode, press the ON footswitch, and the entire loop length will play in reverse. You can continue recording new audio to layer with the reversed audio.

Dedicated Instrument/Line Input Level Switch.
Volante offers an input level switch to work perfectly with a variety of input sources. Set the switch to the INST position when using a guitar level input. Set to LINE when using Volante in the effects loop of a guitar amp, or when driving Volante with a hot output from a synth or mixer insert. The LINE input mode is also perfect for using Volante as a send effect or insert effect in the studio.

Morphing expression control.
Connect an expression pedal and enjoy a whole new level of instantaneous, continuous control. Set as many knobs as you like for the heel position and toe position of your expression pedal, and all settings will simultaneously morph throughout the full range of the expression pedal.

Instant Access to Eight Presets.
Even without using MIDI, Volante gives you instant access to eight presets. The playback/feedback buttons represent preset locations, and you can use the FAVORITE footswitch to recall from or save to any of those eight locations. Of course, if eight is not enough, MIDI gives you access to 300 preset locations!
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Strymon Volante

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm having some rare intense GAS for this thing.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Gonna hop in here with a little more info:

Create dynamic loops that degrade and evolve. Change loop direction at the touch of a footswitch. Press PAUSE for a mechanical tape stop effect. Change the speed of your loop and simultaneously change the pitch in octave increments.
Find an inspiring sound in Echo Mode, and all your echoes remain intact when you engage Sound on Sound. When your loop has reached the perfect state of mutation, you can engage Infinite Repeats to stop further loop degradation, creating an infinite loop while disengaging the loop record head.

In Sound on Sound mode, press the ON footswitch, and the entire loop length will play in reverse. You can continue recording new audio to layer with the reversed audio.

The PAUSE footswitch is part of Volante’s faithful recreation of a variable speed magnetic echo unit, with mechanical slowdown when pausing and mechanical speedup when coming out of pause. The speed of this mechanical slowdown/startup effect is user-definable.

Connect MultiSwitch Plus to Volante’s Expression Pedal jack for additional footswitchable control. Use MultiSwitch Plus to select between three presets, remote control of the SPEED switch, remote transport control, or for additional foot control while in Sound on Sound mode.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Yeah, there's so much here. They've added a lot of useful features that expand upon the older machines.

The first time I read about the Echorec in a magazine was around 2002. At the time, you could get a well-worn unit for as low as $400. Fast forward to the 2010s and a broken unit could fetch $1,200+ online. Seeing a digital unit with enhanced features for $400 16 years later is somewhat fulfilling---it's not quite the closing of the circle, but this one seems to be an honorable attempt to revisit the character of these once-esoteric machines. I'm really excited to play with one---dunno if I'll sell off any of my other Echorec emulators (I've got about 10 of them), but it's something to enjoy until (if/when) T-Rex's wire tribute is finally finished. As someone who's tired of cataloging sounds and writing down settings, I'm certainly thrilled with the massive preset capabilities.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Right now I'm using my El Cap for either warbly dark tape echo slapback or bright percussive multi head triplets. I barely touch the SOS mode because I don't wanna mess with settings too much.

With this, I can have those 2 settings plus all manner of cruddy dirty delays, brighter cleaner delays, clean looping, degraded looping, and whatever else I think up. If I can get it to do super clean and crisp single delays, I might be able to take my Digidelay off my board too, and it seems like all these cool sound on sound features might keep me from buying a Tensor too.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Need to listen to demos but I’m more struck by the Frippertonic-ness than the Echorec-ness.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby humandingus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

humandingus

committed
committed

Postby neonblack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 pm

OMG I was wondering why Volante sounded familiar
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 am

Adding this to my 2019 Gear Goals!
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am

Looks really a cool unit this Volante, but for my needs the TImeline is still perfect.

Actually I'm wondering if there will be any firmware update for the big boxes.
Especially I always wondered why in the TREM delay you can't set the tremolo pre or ost delay, like the filter...
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

My contribution to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3WuOag218
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ritz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm

This looks so good I'm already trying to decide what to sell off to fund it.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby voerking » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Need to listen to demos but I’m more struck by the Frippertonic-ness than the Echorec-ness.

suddenly i'm intrigued.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:37 pm

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Chankgeez wrote:My contribution to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3WuOag218

Always figured disco volante meant "violent disco", but looked it up yesterday when this strymon thing showed up and it's "flying saucer". Wish I had been a slightly smarter Mr. Bungle fan.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Next

Return to General Gear