Let's see your AMP!



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby crochambeau » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks! I'm loving it for synth stuff and clean sounds, it really casts a sharp spotlight on distortion/fuzz.. Very useful for circuit work, but not something I would really doom out on.
D.o.S. wrote:This thing is like the Blue Box on the amount of acid that lands you in the ER pretending to play it straight while you try and ignore the fact that the walls are dripping oil.


Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm

If you're thinking about new drivers for the Traynor, the jensen tornado classics (neodymium) sound really good w/ traynor stuff (defo "airy" imo) and are nice n lightweight. not super efficient/sensitive tho compared to a hefty ceramic.
megazord.powerchord
MechaGodzilla

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby greenmario » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am

interested in hearing how it held up at practice and any other details when ya get a chance

waltdogg wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
waltdogg wrote:just picked up a marshall origin 50 today. i promise i'll get a pic of everything tomorrow. all my amps are gonna be at my lockout for practice tomorrow.


Interesting to hear how you like the Origin.

i've been messing with them on and off since we started getting them at work. bringing my pedals in a week or two ago and really slamming one with my rig yielded some pretty satisfying results. so i figured i'd give it a shot when we got a 50 watter in again. but basically they sound like a marshall, bright and splashy. the tilt knob is pretty sweet though, it essentially blends the low gain and high gain channels that you'd find on a vintage marshall so you can get it just bright enough or make it dark and fuzzed out. i just swapped out the chinese preamp tubes for some tung-sols and a jj, we'll see how it sounds at practice tomorrow.
greenmario

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 pm

greenmario wrote:interested in hearing how it held up at practice and any other details when ya get a chance

waltdogg wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
waltdogg wrote:just picked up a marshall origin 50 today. i promise i'll get a pic of everything tomorrow. all my amps are gonna be at my lockout for practice tomorrow.


Interesting to hear how you like the Origin.

i've been messing with them on and off since we started getting them at work. bringing my pedals in a week or two ago and really slamming one with my rig yielded some pretty satisfying results. so i figured i'd give it a shot when we got a 50 watter in again. but basically they sound like a marshall, bright and splashy. the tilt knob is pretty sweet though, it essentially blends the low gain and high gain channels that you'd find on a vintage marshall so you can get it just bright enough or make it dark and fuzzed out. i just swapped out the chinese preamp tubes for some tung-sols and a jj, we'll see how it sounds at practice tomorrow.


Yeah, I'm pretty interested in these for home use with the Cab Clone. Curious to see how it held up in the band context though.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: grand rapids

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby BoatRich » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900
BoatRich

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: Northern VA/DC

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900


There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: grand rapids

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby BoatRich » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm

odontophobia wrote:
BoatRich wrote:I’m also really curious about the Origin in a band setting, I love those ones we have at work, but they don’t seem super loud. I’m debating between the 50w head, a traynor YRM-1/YBA-1, or a MiG 50 to stereo with my JCM 900


There's a 50w SLX on the Grand Rapids GC used website. Just get that instead. MATCH EM UP.

Two SLX’s would be really sick.... extra power tube distortion on one side.
BoatRich

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: Northern VA/DC

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JTurbide » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

Image
Image
JTurbide

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby waltdogg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:02 pm

hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JTurbide » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:11 pm

waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.


It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)
JTurbide

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby waltdogg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:45 am

JTurbide wrote:
waltdogg wrote:hot damn that's a fine example of a v-2. i have a vt-22 chassis that's fairly clean, pulled it from a combo and put it in a late 70's v-4b head box that was in good condition. cleanest "v-4" i've every owned.


It's crazy there's not a single scratch on the graphics, grill cloth, logo ... just super clean. I'm really stoked about it.
Also really glad to have found a V2, this amp is already stupidly loud, can't imagine a V4. It would be way overkill for me. I'm really pleased with how it sounds sor far, even if I didn't really have time to play much with it. Not sure if it's because I'm attenuating it and it's partially the attenuator or what but it gets dirty pretty fast, I mean it gets fucking loud clean but overdrives at around 10 o'clock.. I'm actually pleased with that, I love some drive and it's cool that it don't need to push it super hard and destroy my attenuator (10W) to get some drive :)

that's awesome, i'm jealous.
i almost never use my v-4 because it's so loud and heavy. the 70s v series amps overdrive very quickly. they're known for being loud because they spit out full power as soon as the volume knob hits a point that the guitar signal comes through (which is about 9 o'clock) so once you turn up a bit more they overdrive. this also might be a mandela effect and we crossed over into a universe where the v-4 is now a loud distortion monster instead of a a loud super clean mean machine. or the components in these amps have ages to a certain point where the amp distorts a lot more now. OR they always did did this and people were just too scared to turn them up.

(the reason why the v-4 is seemingly such a distorted amp now is something i love to speculate about)

also, ampegs in general overdrive easier the higher the eq is turned up. i forget why they do this, but the more the preamp frequencies are boosted overall the more distored of a signal the power amp gets hit with.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 am

both the ampeg and the earth are sick. hope you like them.
ummohyeah

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JTurbide » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 pm

I really love them both !
I just opened it and cleaned the ampeg a little, it's got some old Sylvania power tubes, also magnavox and westinghouse are in there, not sure which is what.. I didn't really took the time to figure it out. Original sprague caps too ! Tubes might all be original or really old anyway because the guy (in his 40s-50s) says he never changed them and has had this since college and they seems to have 70s serial numbers so .. pretty cool :)*
JTurbide

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby lefchr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:31 pm

JTurbide wrote:Sorry for the shitty pics but I don't have a good camera with me until tuesday..
I just bought this Ampeg V2, damn it sounds good and is flexible. I'm so stoked ! :yay: :joy:
It's so clean too !

Image
Image


That is a Great looking V2, I have a v4 and there is barely any print left on the front of it. It was also put in a different shell at some point. I love the sound of it, I usually run it at about 11-12 o'clock. I have a attenuator to help control it so neighbors don't hear too much of it.
lefchr

committed
committed
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: CNY

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby systemofameow » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

^^ p much where I keep my gain/volume controls as well. Although sometimes I'll crank the master volume to around 3 o'clock if I really wanna go deaf. Recently invested in some of those fancy looking hearos ear plugs so maybe I'll start bumping it up a bit more often.
systemofameow

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.