What is going on with Tom Petersson's bass?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

What is going on with Tom Petersson's bass?

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

A local guitar shop posted a picture of Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick playing one of his old twelve-strings. It wasn't the twelve strings that interested me, though, it was the pickup configuration and very busy additional control panel at the top of the guitar. Does anyone know anything about this? What's the advantage of the individual horizontal half-pickups for each trio of strings? And what's that control panel all about? It almost looks like a patchbay of some sort in the one picture, but is it an individual EQ for each trio of strings (which, I guess would answer my first question)? Anyone know anything about this bass?

IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG (41.96 KiB) Viewed 3705 times

IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG (32.94 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Re: What is going on with Tom Petersson's bass?

Postby Paul_C » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm

"Tom wanted a stereo 12 string bass, but Dantzig took it a step further by creating a quadraphonic 12 string bass. The 12 knob designation came because these instruments had built in mixing consoles.

Each pick up was wired to its own volume, treble boost and cut and bass boost and cut. The switches below the knobs selected the frequency of the EQ. Another unique factor was the pickup arrangements Dantzig used.

The original 1978 version came with four 3 pole pickups placed vertically, one under each string. There was an additional pickup above them that was placed horizontally. This bass was known as “The Trade Show Bass” and used extensively by Petersson."
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Wacky Cheap Trick dudes and their wacky enabler Jol Dantzig! :whoa: :rock: :trippy:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Sweet. Thanks. I tried searching for a writeup like that, but had no idea what search terms to use. Dude's had a lot of 12-string basses.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am

Whatever happened to Hamer? Those things were everywhere in the 90s.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Bought by Fender, killed off in 2013, re-started in 2017.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:04 pm

i gather that their main model--the maple-topped doublecut that was based on the Les Paul Special design--had a high rate of failure at the heel joint.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Return to Guitar and Bass