Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby fever606 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:14 pm

uOrnaments and Penrose, HC-TT and White Whale in BST... homies hit me up if you want anything...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm

wooooot CURSIS.

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm

That sounds lovely Bender!

All I want is a Black Noir and a Sinusoid.... I wish they would hurry up.

Oh and I got a Medusa locked up on order! Woot!
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 am

thanks homie!

have a drummer friend that injured his foot and wants to learn about modular so i swung by his practice spot today and watched him wibble with my rack. very VERY cute.

also, i don't think the Quadrantiducaid Swarm is ever shipping.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 am

behndy wrote:yeah man. that is SUPER sexy. how you digging it?

also, curious if anyone has the ER-101 and/or 102?
I did miss it while it was gone, and was never expecting to get it back with a whole new look. Really glad I asked about it now though. I love the mini karp knobs and the new buttons too, wasn't expecting any of that, but as soon as he mentioned a new faceplate I figured I should ask about black. I've never owned such a one of a kind thing before, it's starting to feel like a responsibility lol. I am now caretaker of the precious artifact. It's also the kind of module that can make a lot of other things obsolete in the system, so of course it's got me constantly rethinking how to finish out the black rack now too, what to pull & replace, what to move over etc.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 am

Warpsmasher wrote: I did miss it while it was gone, and was never expecting to get it back with a whole new look. Really glad I asked about it now though. I love the mini karp knobs and the new buttons too, wasn't expecting any of that, but as soon as he mentioned a new faceplate I figured I should ask about black. I've never owned such a one of a kind thing before, it's starting to feel like a responsibility lol. I am now caretaker of the precious artifact. It's also the kind of module that can make a lot of other things obsolete in the system, so of course it's got me constantly rethinking how to finish out the black rack now too, what to pull & replace, what to move over etc.

Did you send it off for repair? I've been having an absolute nightmare with mine for months now. One of the outs went dead ages ago and I sent to someone in the UK to repair, after much back and forth he couldn't fix it so I just accepted that and took it back, then when I plugged it in it started smoking! Sent back to the repair guy and paid for a brand new kit and stuff and he basically built a new one from scratch, got that one back after a long wait and plugged it in and it didn't change pages properly and then proceeded to start smoking :cry:

It was the arduino board inside that blew both times, I bought two more and completely wrecked them trying to remove the SMD LED and attach the tiny smd solder pad to the point on the main PCB...... luckily MQ agreed to take it and have a look for me after I basically broke down crying at him email style. Such a fragile connection to the arduino - the build is crazy hard for anyone thinking of doing it (for me anyway). They don't seem to sell pre-assembled ones anywhere now - I leaned on this module as the main control hub of my modular and working without it has been horrific.... kind of wary of being so reliant on a boutique hard to find instrument now. That said, I had 2 years of it working fine.... and it really is a ridiculously powerful thing to have around, and will run off a 9v battery or USB power cell to take outside and use with the Tetrax in the sunshine. If MQ manages to fix I'll be protecting it with everything I've got!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Yes it was a repair. It just died one day so I contacted him through etsy (only means i could find) and sent it off. It turned out that 2 DAC chips were burnt and that was all that was wrong internally. Apparently he felt that the buttons and panel also needed to be replaced, because he just said he would be replacing them, and I had not asked for that or about that at all...but once it came up, I caught a whiff of an opportunity and said I'd take a black panel if he had any (which he does, but with the same flaws you can see on mine), and the rest is history. The button color and the smaller knobs were a nice additional surprise once the job was done.
So, yeah, I guess if he's rebuilding yours now, then you could probably also get it back in postmortem black. I couldn't have imagined a more satisfying ending to the whole situation.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:25 am

Warpsmasher wrote:Yes it was a repair. It just died one day so I contacted him through etsy (only means i could find) and sent it off. It turned out that 2 DAC chips were burnt and that was all that was wrong internally. Apparently he felt that the buttons and panel also needed to be replaced, because he just said he would be replacing them, and I had not asked for that or about that at all...but once it came up, I caught a whiff of an opportunity and said I'd take a black panel if he had any (which he does, but with the same flaws you can see on mine), and the rest is history. The button color and the smaller knobs were a nice additional surprise once the job was done.
So, yeah, I guess if he's rebuilding yours now, then you could probably also get it back in postmortem black. I couldn't have imagined a more satisfying ending to the whole situation.

I seriously hope mine doesn't come back black, it looks nice but everything I have is bugbrand blue! :trippy:
I had to replace a DAC chip on mine when I first bought it secondhand, that's a real bugger to do too!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 pm

annnnnnd just ordered a 7u 126hp case from MDLR. heard nothing but great things, looking forward to a downsized setup.

ifffff anyone (hopefully close to me, packing and shipping racks is a BITCH) wants a deal on a Pittsburgh Modular 208 portable case, hit me up.

also, question for Peoples That Have 1u's - looking at Synsi and Pulp Logic 1u's, but do 6 or 8 hp 3u modules work sideways in a 1u row?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:01 pm

behndy wrote:annnnnnd just ordered a 7u 126hp case from MDLR. heard nothing but great things, looking forward to a downsized setup.

ifffff anyone (hopefully close to me, packing and shipping racks is a BITCH) wants a deal on a Pittsburgh Modular 208 portable case, hit me up.

also, question for Peoples That Have 1u's - looking at Synsi and Pulp Logic 1u's, but do 6 or 8 hp 3u modules work sideways in a 1u row?

You gettin rid of the DNGR?!

I just upgraded my 12U Dark Modular to a 12U MDLR and it is wonderful.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm

saw that! meant to send you a pm asking how you were digging it.

i'm going to keep the DNGR for home, try to move the 6u i have for Home Things now. lol. love that case and waited TOO damn long for it to ship to chuck it so soon.

that's one of the things i'm excited about with the MDLR. i really want to roll with a smaller, more focused setup. but if i wanted to go back to larger, i could grab the top half and have 14u.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

I have a 7u case incoming too! Finally found a 104hp Intellijel case and it should be in tomorrow.

It's gonna be so nice having everything in one case with some simple functions out of the way. And it should be easy to take out eventually!
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Yeah it's a pretty easy case to transport. I've taken mine in Ubers and on the subway without much trouble. It's not sealed though so rain / other environmental factors can still be an issue. I've been pretty happy with mine overall.

Also, I sold Rene/Tempi/Knight's Gallop, officially past that as a sequencing concept. It's kind of crazy to me how grid + ansible(6hp) have replaced 52hp of modules in my rack, does what that did in a more expansive way, and additionally offer more applications to explore. I updated my ansible's firmware to get the polyphonic version of earthsea and that's pretty much killed off my desire to use a keyboard with my setup, too :lol:

I guess it was only a matter of time for a Mannequins fanboy to become a Monome fanboy. Still gonna take some time to memorize what some of these pages/functions do though...
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 pm

niiiiiiice! does that lock you into Intellijel 1u's? they're the slightly smaller format no?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Yes, but to be honestly I'm basically using the 1U as a way to avoid having an external mixer and their 1U offering in that area are sufficient for my needs. I have the Quadratt, Audio I/O, and Noise Tools at the moment, all very useful. Eventually I want to have 2xQuadratts, Audio I/O, Headphones, and either the reverb or the audio in + usb power (depending on my desire for more external gear). All of that plus a 6hp submixer in my case means I have a limited, albeit modular mixing environment that should serve my needs nicely, and lots of attenuverters to boot. That as a concept is what sold me on locking into their format (in addition to many other factors, power, ergonomics, ect.), but I don't think I'd prefer to use their 1U line if it was full of more "fully functioned" modules anyway.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear