DIY Spring Reverb Unit

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

DIY Spring Reverb Unit

Postby ancientbones » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Has anyone built a spring reverb unit before? I’d like something I can put on top of my amp that I can smack and hit to make noise.

Just wondering how hard it’d be to convert a standard reverb tank into a stand-alone unit.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Re: DIY Spring Reverb Unit

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 pm

I built a Ruthenium, it sounds pretty rad. Uses a 1054 to drive a small accussonic real spring tank. It gets pretty big hall sound easily. If you want a big spring reverb like out of a fender twin you're going to need high voltage DC (a transformer or 2 and some big caps) and some tubes. The "Revibe" is quite possibly the finest (Imo) stand alone reverb/vibrato a man can clone these days.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 pm

ancientbones wrote:Has anyone built a spring reverb unit before? I’d like something I can put on top of my amp that I can smack and hit to make noise.

Just wondering how hard it’d be to convert a standard reverb tank into a stand-alone unit.

Do you hope to run signal through the reverb, or just use the the tank as a mechanical sound effect?

If you just want to bang on it and make noise, grab an RCA to 1/4" cable and plug that fucker into any old thing with moderate gain you have lying around and on into a spare amplifier channel. Done deal.

If you want to feed signal through it in the classic reverb application, then yeah, you'll need something to drive the springs. A headphone amplifier will work in a pinch.

For real reverb though, nothing beats a stand alone build with controls/etc. My comments above, while functional, are only using half your ass and tend to get finicky after a while.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dr Satan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 pm

There are some schematics out there that will work with a low ohm tank, I think I found them at Rod Elliot's page, ESP-Elliot Sound Productions or something like that. Or you can do the Surfy Bear DIY kit. It's like ~$60 I think. You still need a tank, 12v supply, enclosure, and if you want to add a bypass switch, you'll need that too. Barring that, there's always the old Danelectro Spring King pedal which has a "kick pad" for making the "crash" sounds.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby Phosphene Audio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 am

You might also look into the Pioneer home stereo reverbs. They tend to be cheap and work fine in the loop of an amp.

If not in a loop, they just need a little extra gain going in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnhRLjWgPlw ... me_dinette
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am

man this sounds like it would be so much fun
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I've got an old Carlsbro valve PA with a solid state spring reverb that sounds really really good. Planning to build a standalone reverb unit using this...

http://schems.com/bmampscom/carlsboro/60par.jpg
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Dr Satan wrote:there's always the old Danelectro Spring King pedal which has a "kick pad" for making the "crash" sounds.

Which also has a PT2399 delay inside that you can mod for control over depth and feedback.

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:man this sounds like it would be so much fun

https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/recording/how_to_build_your_own_plate_reverb/
This too and my dad has a welder. :idea:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby imJonWain » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 pm

If your looking for a diy project I have some spring reverb driver/recovery PCBs still kicking around from an old project. It's designed to to a buffered effects loop + spring reverb module to go in a tube amp but could easily be adapted to make a stand alone reverb unit.
Attachments
Eloopeverb_2.jpg
Eloopeverb_2.jpg (274.5 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 pm

made this one a few years ago

The circuit is nothing special. Just a few opamp buffers and boosts/gain into the spring drivers. Some minimal tone control, and wet/dry blend. I didn't really look into driver impedance at all, so it's probably sub-optimal. Just used my ears. The bigger challenge was the construction.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Gorgeous
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Got a schem for that unit?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby cloudscapes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:15 am

Ben79 wrote:

Got a schem for that unit?

Sorry I don't anymore. It was just a quick thing I breadboarded with some tl074's and bog-standard opamp buffering/boost. I didn't keep the files.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm

I said it above and I'll say it again.. that Ruthenium is amazing for like 12$ in parts. I boxed mine up and it's really lush. I mean it's a real spring reverb so it doesn't do digital pad stuff obviously.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 am

Looks good, along the same lines as Cloudscape's design. I was in an abandoned factory with a screwdriver on my person the other day and happened to find a very nice old 24v transformer so I'm gonna go big and build the Carlsbro.

Are the Rutheniums available to buy anywhere?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to DIY Effects