How to hook up multiple components to one 9v battery

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

How to hook up multiple components to one 9v battery

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:18 am

Hey all,

I have 3 components:

• a sound generator from a dollar store ghost toy that makes a "spooky" oscillating tone that is triggered by a photo resistor.
• A voice changing box with 3 voice sounds that I bought off of wish (makes robot, deep voice and some other crap)
• an old fuzz circuit that was inside of a crappy cheap shit guitar.

Each has a power supply except for the ghost module (pictured) that has through hole access for either a hook up wire or 9 v connector?

My question is: how do I hook all 3 up to the same power source? do I need a (forgive the lack of correct terminology) "junction box" to connect everything?

What about the output, 2 of the 3 have speakers so I know where the sound is coming from but how would I wire all 3 to the same output jack? again, is there some sort of hub that I would need to put 3 sources in and one output to the jack?
Attachments
IMG_7710.JPG
IMG_7710.JPG (231.59 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
IMG_7712.JPG
IMG_7712.JPG (386.57 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Re: How to hook up multiple components to one 9v battery

Postby crochambeau » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 pm

9 volt batteries are not built to provide a lot of current, so your intent may be a flawed concept right out of the gate.

That said, a small value resistor (I tend to grab 100 ohm) followed by a capacitor to ground helps decouple the circuits from one another. So, from the 9 volt battery, EACH circuit will be powered by a wire that has passed through a different resistor and has a cap across the power rail to ground.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 pm

crochambeau wrote:9 volt batteries are not built to provide a lot of current, so your intent may be a flawed concept right out of the gate.

That said, a small value resistor (I tend to grab 100 ohm) followed by a capacitor to ground helps decouple the circuits from one another. So, from the 9 volt battery, EACH circuit will be powered by a wire that has passed through a different resistor and has a cap across the power rail to ground.

Thanks, not sure I understand how to to do what you're saying or where the wires should be hooked up to but thank you again for the advice.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Maybe this image helps?

confuzzled.png
confuzzled.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 pm

crochambeau wrote:Maybe this image helps?

confuzzled.png

Actually it does, but if I may how are you splitting the wire into 3 sections? just solder or are you attaching it to something that splits it off?
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:06 pm

When I stuff a multiple I usually find a point that I can simply attach a bunch of wires or parts to and solder everything to that.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:16 pm

crochambeau wrote:When I stuff a multiple I usually find a point that I can simply attach a bunch of wires or parts to and solder everything to that.

"a point" like the top of a pot? I always thought that I needed to get some sort of junction component that allowed the current to be routed to multiple spots.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Confuzzled wrote:"a point" like the top of a pot?

No, I'm talking about power supply here, you need that insulated from EVERYTHING except what needs to be connected to it.

Terminal strip? Ratsnest? I don't know what you have to work with there. Whatever you wind up using to interconnect the power wires for all these circuits, just make sure it doesn't touch anything else.

Hell, you might be able to get away with just twisting all of the +9 wires together, but if one circuit affects all the others you'll benefit from decoupling somehow (the simple method I described earlier is better than nothing, but far from the best).

Good luck!

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ben79 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Top of a pot is gonna ground your + and create a big juicy short circuit.

A point is just something that gives you space to solder your wires together. Could be the lug of a pot, a jack socket, a hole pad on some perf board, the leg of a component - just be sure it isn't part of your chassis unless you want it grounded.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 pm

A few strips worth of stripboard to accommodate your parts and a common ground rail is what I'd do :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:08 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:A few strips worth of stripboard to accommodate your parts and a common ground rail is what I'd do :)

I have a stripboard at home. so I can cut the board and solder the wires to and from it? I'm guessing they'd have to connect through the board? Sorry I'm new to this.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Yeah I'd use 5 rows and have the 9v battery ground go to one row, the 9v + go to one, then run a 100r resistor from the + rail to each of the 3 remaining rows.. then an electrolytic cap positive leg on each of those 3 rows with the negative leg going to ground.

So then you have 3 decoupled rails with a 100r load resistor off one 9v.. any of the remaining holes from the power rows can have the positive wires of your devices, and then the negative wires go to the ground row

Here's a slightly more complex thing that does what you're asking.
Attachments
Huminator_II-800x800.png
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Yeah I'd use 5 rows and have the 9v battery ground go to one row, the 9v + go to one, then run a 100r resistor from the + rail to each of the 3 remaining rows.. then an electrolytic cap positive leg on each of those 3 rows with the negative leg going to ground.

So then you have 3 decoupled rails with a 100r load resistor off one 9v.. any of the remaining holes from the power rows can have the positive wires of your devices, and then the negative wires go to the ground row

Here's a slightly more complex thing that does what you're asking.

This is awesome! Thank you both for the comments and illustrations. I'm guessing the 47uF are the caps? I don't think I have any at home, what's the best place to pick them up? Mammoth?

3 more questions:
1. why 5 strips if there are only 3 positives and 1 ground? why not 4?
2. The 3 positives go to each device, where does the negative out go to? does that get split to each device as well?
3. when this is wired up how would I mount it as to not short anything out? do I get those metal leg posts for the corners of the board? hot glue it to the base of the enclosure?
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:52 pm

5 strips because you want a 9v in a 9v ground in, and then 3 decoupled 9v supplies. All the grounds would hook up to the 9v ground strip..

If you're going to start tinkering, do yourself a favor and buy a bunch of components from eBay or Tayda or something similar.

There's a million ways to build it man. These were just our ideas, at the end of the day you gotta build it yourself. I use card stock on the conductive side of stripboard usually to prevent shorts. Tape it on or whatever. Hot glue is a fucking mess and pretty final, so mods become a pain in the ass.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:00 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:5 strips because you want a 9v in a 9v ground in, and then 3 decoupled 9v supplies. All the grounds would hook up to the 9v ground strip..

If you're going to start tinkering, do yourself a favor and buy a bunch of components from eBay or Tayda or something similar.

There's a million ways to build it man. These were just our ideas, at the end of the day you gotta build it yourself. I use card stock on the conductive side of stripboard usually to prevent shorts. Tape it on or whatever. Hot glue is a fucking mess and pretty final, so mods become a pain in the ass.

Gotcha, I totally get what you're saying. What I'm still not getting is how or where the grounds from the other components connect? would they be after the caps on the board in the ground line or would I solder the ground out to one component and then add a wire and go to the next, and follow suit with the last one so theyre all chained together?
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to DIY Effects