Setup of the day thread?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Setup of the day thread?

Postby ognoy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

That sounds rad!! Dual mono/parallelle setups rule!
Reminds me of the setup I used at rehearsal the other day:
EGC TT2 Baritone > Boss TU-3(Split) >
A) Mooer Rat(vintage mode) > Fabrikat > DL4 > RV-3 > Boomerang III > Traynor YBA-1
B) Musky Rat(reutz mod + turbo mode) > FORM1 > Ampeg V4
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 pm

We are definitely sniffing from the same bottle of glue. :thumb:

The recording of our duo jam didn't turn out so great. The guitar sound was a little washed out and murky. Not defined and brutal like when I just use the Marshall. Tempted to pursue a dual mono setup that would accentuate the lower frequencies in one amp with an octave pedal or something like a Meatbox. Equally tempted to forget the idea and focus on one spartan setup that crushes skulls.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 am

codetocontra wrote:We are definitely sniffing from the same bottle of glue. :thumb:

The recording of our duo jam didn't turn out so great. The guitar sound was a little washed out and murky. Not defined and brutal like when I just use the Marshall. Tempted to pursue a dual mono setup that would accentuate the lower frequencies in one amp with an octave pedal or something like a Meatbox. Equally tempted to forget the idea and focus on one spartan setup that crushes skulls.

I'm doing something similar when I'm playing with my doom-jazz/noise rock trio(guitar/fuzztrumpet/drums).
The V4-side is a bit more ballsy, and is used most of the time when playing riffs and stuff.
The Traynor-side is mostly used for loops/drones/weird sounds/ambient shit.
When I really want to bring the doom though I play heavy through both amps.

Don't use any octave pedals though, prefer just playing loud. :animal:
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm

throbak came in last week. it's really cool. bit too fuzzy on the low notes tho? cleans up really nicely though. I love stomps that are boost/dirt/full-on fuzz all in one
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Magic meter --> Skyripper --> MF flange --> rebote 2.5 --> reverberation machine--> PDS1002 --> Tremulous Lune--> amp..

Good shit. The meter bumping the Skyripper is pretty dank.. it makes the fuzz so thick, makes just the rangemaster sound even more huge.. then modulation. Lots of fun
Attachments
20180831_202822-800x600.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:30 pm

This Silvertone amp (top left) was 3 dollars at a garage sale, stuffed in the back was this old archtop pickup unit. It sounds really, really good. Amazingly so, even on this crummy old kit acoustic.

The Silvertone amp sounds very good too.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm

That s pretty rad. :joy:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:19 am

The amp i kind of scary though, I tried plugging some pedals into it and got a huge shock when I touched the input jack of one of the pedals with my other hand touching the plugged in cable. It's only a two prong so I have to figure out how to 3 prong it, it also makes some insane noises randomly because the filter caps are OG.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 am

that amp is due to go bang. get it sorted before you use it again.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:01 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:that amp is due to go bang. get it sorted before you use it again.

B+ Filter caps are no joke, this is good advice. Even in a small amp you're probably seeing 400+ volts on the power tubes.. those caps can deliver heart stopping shocks. It's probably got a schematic over at Hoffman's library..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:40 pm

repoman wrote:The amp i kind of scary though, I tried plugging some pedals into it and got a huge shock when I touched the input jack of one of the pedals with my other hand touching the plugged in cable. It's only a two prong so I have to figure out how to 3 prong it, it also makes some insane noises randomly because the filter caps are OG.

Can I trouble you for the tube complement on this amplifier? Silvertone built some stuff that was cheap in a bad way (ie: they didn't bother with a power transformer) like the "all American Five" radios of the era. What I'm getting at here is that you may need to include a 1:1 ratio power transformer in your shopping list to make that amp safe. For $3 into it so far, it's worth throwing more cash at it to make it a safe piece of gear.

The part numbers on the tubes will tell us if the amp is dangerous in this way (and if it is, a simple three prong conversion is not enough).

Anyway, here's my set-up from last night. I'd spend a lot more time with it, but I've got to box up the Monobius at lower left and send it on its merry way.

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

The tubes are 12AU6, 50C5, 35W4
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:07 pm

repoman wrote:The tubes are 12AU6, 50C5, 35W4

You need a power transformer.

The 12, 50, and 35 are the volt ratings of the filaments. They wire those up in series to make 97, then they just hang them off the wall (there *might* be a dropping resistor involved), but the wall used to be 110 to 115 and now it's 120 +/- a few percent. So, the AC mains is across your filament (this circuit is probably where your shock is coming from) and the AC mains are rectified for B+ which is probably in the 180 to 200 volt range.

TL;DR you want an isolation transformer before plugging that amp in again.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tr ... F80A%3d%3d This might be a touch undersized, but if the amp pulls 50 watts (or has a 1/3 amp or less fuse) it'll do.

Beefier ones are here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... 0Isolation (ignore anything without a 117 volt primary, AKA anything labeled "audio")
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm

This page. :omg: :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:35 am

every now and then, i reassess which fuzz-into-OD combos I like best.

today, the creepy 1 knob fuzz face into the klone is fav. the creepyface into the broadcast is better for a heavier, sludgier kind of sound. the zoom was better than the klone when the amp's cranked enough to be doing most of the work but at polite volumes, it's the klone.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear