FABRIKAT - Granular Synthesis / Sample Playback

Moderator: Pladask

Re: FABRIKAT - Granular Synthesis / Sample Playback

Postby Dandolin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:01 am

:)
Last edited by Dandolin on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Broken switches are annoying. I really don't like regular pots for selecting discrete options, though. Would you be able to make the LED flash or change colors when moving from one program to the next?
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:59 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:Broken switches are annoying. I really don't like regular pots for selecting discrete options, though. Would you be able to make the LED flash or change colors when moving from one program to the next?

A visual aid to replace the lack of tactile response would probably be helpful yes. The numbers would obviously stay whatever I decide to do.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Pladask wrote:I need your opinion on something. I've had feedback about broken rotary switches from two FABRIKAT owners and I'm now feeling fearful about unleashing large quantities of pedals into the world with rotary switches that may eventually break down (repair work, administering shipments and customs documentation, inconvenience for you the buyer). Generally I despise mechanical components as they are prone to break, hence why I use momentary footswitches for my pedals. So because of this I'm considering to swap the rotary switch for a regular, step-lesss potentiometer that decides the program.

I had a rotary switch on a different pedal go bad on me recently, so I'm down with anything more durable. With that one, I was certainly used to the tactile "click" while changing patches... without that there really ought to be some kind of additional visual feedback. (even better for playing gigs in especially dark places.) Having an LED blink to a different colour or something would be good to know you've switched.

Accidentally changing to a different patch isn't such a big deal for the stuff that I tend to do.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:36 am

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby Pladask » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 am

thanks for the feedback. How do you feel about the selector on the Source Audio Nemesis / Strymon Big Sky? I taking another look at rotary encoders + LEDs.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:40 am

I haven't used the Nemesis or Big Sky but I like the idea of separate LEDs for the separate programs.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:54 am

Did the users just report breakage for no reason or did they accidentally break the switch while stepping on the pedal? Fabrikat's rotary switch feels very durable to me and I like the distinct feel of moving through the programs. Especially if Im on one program and I need to change another mid set, I can feel the number of clicks I need. That goes away with an encoder/pot.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Did the users just report breakage for no reason or did they accidentally break the switch while stepping on the pedal? Fabrikat's rotary switch feels very durable to me and I like the distinct feel of moving through the programs. Especially if Im on one program and I need to change another mid set, I can feel the number of clicks I need. That goes away with an encoder/pot.

Some have broken during installation (by me and workshop goers, I use the same switches in FORM2) and some have been reported broken by users. Got a rough prototype of the Nemesis/BlueSky system up and running today and it seems quite promising. Now I need to order some PCBs and encoders. The encoder I'm currently looking at has 12 distinct steps (detents) per 360 degree. Using an encoder would retain the tactile rotary switch feel. If it works I'll be able to rotate directly from program 8 to 1 (clockwise). Pedal will remember the last selected program on startup and indicate it by illuminating the corresponding LED. Also helps that the encoder seems very sturdy (metal shaft) and comes from a reputable manufacturer. work work...
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby damnableman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Pladask wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:Did the users just report breakage for no reason or did they accidentally break the switch while stepping on the pedal? Fabrikat's rotary switch feels very durable to me and I like the distinct feel of moving through the programs. Especially if Im on one program and I need to change another mid set, I can feel the number of clicks I need. That goes away with an encoder/pot.

Some have broken during installation (by me and workshop goers, I use the same switches in FORM2) and some have been reported broken by users. Got a rough prototype of the Nemesis/BlueSky system up and running today and it seems quite promising. Now I need to order some PCBs and encoders. The encoder I'm currently looking at has 12 distinct steps (detents) per 360 degree. Using an encoder would retain the tactile rotary switch feel. If it works I'll be able to rotate directly from program 8 to 1 (clockwise). Pedal will remember the last selected program on startup and indicate it by illuminating the corresponding LED. Also helps that the encoder seems very sturdy (metal shaft) and comes from a reputable manufacturer. work work...

That sounds legit. The Hexe ReVolver has a similar setup with LEDs corresponding to a program and that works well.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 pm

I may be alone in this boat, but I prefer rotary encoders to pots in some cases, this sounds like a clear candidate for an encoder.
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby caljoephua » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 pm

I use a Nemesis and i have to say, the encoder is a big up vote from me! It's brilliant and lovely to use, from a user's standpoint :D
caljoephua

interested
interested

Postby publicfig » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:15 pm

+1 to rotary encoder.
publicfig

interested
interested

Postby Dandolin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 am

:snax:
Last edited by Dandolin on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk