Boredbrain Transmutron Dual FX Loop Crossover Filter

Moderator: superanalog

Boredbrain Transmutron Dual FX Loop Crossover Filter

Postby superanalog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am

Boredbrain is super excited to announce our new product, Transmutron, which is now available for pre-order. It's been about a year in the making, although the idea for this device has been in our conversations for much longer than that. Now it is finally a reality, and we've made it even cooler and more powerful than originally intended. Below is all of the official product info.

We are hoping to get enough pre-orders within August and September so we can meet or ship them earlier than our expected date of Nov 1, 2018.

Thanks for checking it out!

Link to the official pre-order listing on Reverb.com (You can also pre-order on our website)

Link to the official product page on our website

------------------

Boredbrain Transmutron
Dual FX Loop Crossover Filter

Features:
  • split signal into two frequency bands
  • process with pedals, eurorack and other effects
  • crossover, crossfader and resonant notch modes
  • control splitpoint with CV and expression pedal
  • select between 12, 24 or 48 db/oct filter slopes
  • limit bandwidths with hi & low cut filters

Modes:
  • FISSION: The Splitpoint parameter controls the crossover frequency to define the bands for each FX channel.
  • FUSION: The Splitpoint parameter adjusts the pre-FX level balance between the two channels like a crossfader.
  • FALLOUT: The Splitpoint parameter moves a wide, resonant notch filter across both pre-FX channel signals.

Description:
Are your effects chains suffering from radioactive decay? The Transmutron allows you to combine pedals (and eurorack effects) within its sonic reactor to create new and exciting compounds! Different results can be achieved using one of three modes: Fission (crossover filter), Fusion (crossfader), and Fallout (resonant wide-notch filter).

In the primary mode, Fission, the signal from your guitar, bass, synth, or drum machine is split into separate frequency bands, sent simultaneously to different effects, and then recombined to a single output (or two separate outputs). The Splitpoint parameter can be controlled manually or with an expression pedal, and simultaneously injected with a control voltage (CV) source for extremely dynamic reactions!

In Fusion mode, the Splitpoint instead acts as a pre-FX level crossfader, rather than splitting the signal into separate bands. This allows for less extreme blends, especially when modulating. In the third mode, Fallout, a resonant wide-notch filter is applied to both pre-FX channel signals, cutting a hole and creating a phasing-wah effect when using an expression pedal or LFO to sweep the Splitpoint back and forth.

To further shape the signals sent to your effects, the Transmutron is equipped with dedicated hi and low cut filters. In Fission and Fallout modes, the cutoff frequencies of these filters also define the end-to-end sweepable range of the Splitpoint parameter and its center frequency. The filters have selectable slopes of 12, 24, or 48 db/oct, which also affects the crossover filter, and greatly enhances the resonance of the wide-notch filter. If further separation of the parallel FX channels is needed, a dedicated phase switch is on-hand.

Both FX channels have two sets of sends and returns: 1/4-in for guitar pedals and line-level effects, and 3.5mm for eurorack level processing. For each channel, the 1/4-in and 3.5mm FX loops can be used simultaneously, as they are in series (3.5mm then 1/4-in). The FX sends are half-normalled so they can be used as buffered copies without affecting the returns. Additionally, the 3.5mm FX loops for each channel can be independently switched to pedal/line-level using internal dip switches, which allows for seamless integration with the Boredbrain Patchulator 8000.

How complex the reaction is up to you! From simple tone shaping using only a couple effects, to interconnected combinations of pedals and eurorack modulation madness, the Transmutron is just the tool you need to reactivate your effects!

Additional Features:
  • +10dB pre-FX gain per channel
  • Mix output or individual output of each FX channel
  • Solo cycle footswitch for channel isolation
  • Phase inversion switch to reduce phasing and enhance stereo output
  • Half-normalled FX sends for buffered copies
  • 3.5mm FX loops switchable between pedal and eurorack levels

Here's the the official launch video on YouTube! :tu:

superanalog

involved
involved

Re: Boredbrain Transmutron Dual FX Loop Crossover Filter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 am

:yay:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Fuck!

Kent, this is what I was trying to get made for your Secret Satan!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby moid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Wow that's seven shades of awesome right there! It's something I've been trying to build myself, but you have a lot more extras functions I didn't think of... very cool indeed, hope it sells well :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Thought id pop in to say hello and welcome to the neighborhood. :hobbes:
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby superanalog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:33 am

moid wrote:Wow that's seven shades of awesome right there! It's something I've been trying to build myself, but you have a lot more extras functions I didn't think of... very cool indeed, hope it sells well :)

Thanks, yes we are hoping it sells well too. :lol: It's actually been difficult to get the price down but with enough pre-orders we'll have margin to keep going with a second batch. Fingers-crossed.

fuzzisokiguess wrote:Thought id pop in to say hello and welcome to the neighborhood. :hobbes:

Word! Been around for a little while but having our own little space is new. Hoping to use it as a place to see everyone's Patchulator setups too!
superanalog

involved
involved

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 am

With this, is there a way to send guitar signals to eurorack effects?
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:08 am

Yeah, super cool that you got a shark tank. You should start a "show us your patchulator setups" thread in here.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby superanalog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:31 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:With this, is there a way to send guitar signals to eurorack effects?

Yes, absolutely! The Eurorack FX Loops are a big part of the feature set. You can send to two different eurorack effects (or processing chains) in parallel then recombine. Even further, you can use the Pedals FX Loops at the same time as they are in series (after) the Eurorack FX Loops on each of the two channels. So in theory you could send Channel 1 to a eurorack wavefolder AND a reverb pedal, and mix with Channel 2 which goes to the FM input of a eurorack oscillator AND to a delay pedal, etc, etc, etc. And of course the CV input is has eurorack written all over it, literally.

The 3.5mm jacks for the Eurorack FX Loops can be switched internally to be at pedal level (for each channel independently) so you could patch directly into the Patchulator, for example, which feeds pedals. We're going to make a video doing exactly this very soon.

codetocontra wrote:Yeah, super cool that you got a shark tank. You should start a "show us your patchulator setups" thread in here.

Yes, will do!
superanalog

involved
involved

Postby Dandolin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:56 pm

This is a great thing--I've used a crossover loop before (sfx x&m) and loved it. Great to see another coming to market; really liking the control scheme on this one.... :zen:

Edit: 7 minutes later -- :eek: :drool:

pre-ordering....

order #10666 \m/

:crab:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby superanalog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Dandolin wrote:This is a great thing--I've used a crossover loop before (sfx x&m) and loved it. Great to see another coming to market; really liking the control scheme on this one.... :zen:

Edit: 7 minutes later -- :eek: :drool:

pre-ordering....

order #10666 \m/

:crab:

Awesome! Thank you. We are going to keep everyone abreast :lol: of the progress as we build the first batch, with photos and videos. Stay tuned.
superanalog

involved
involved

Postby Dandolin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 pm

:snax: :snax: :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby superanalog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Here's another vid we made quickly for some social media, which plays around with the CV input in crossfader mode, modulated by a looping ADSR. So it's basically shifting back and forth in tempo between the Paranormal Fuzz and Golum. Note: these colors are post-effected.

superanalog

involved
involved

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 am

I love you for this. oh man oh man this is going to make my bass vi go nuts. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rustywire » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 pm

YES
E
S
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Boredbrain Music