Pedals you wish existed

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Pedals you wish existed

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm

misterstomach wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:
misterstomach wrote:This probably does exist, but a pedal that was just the preamp from the DMM would be cool.

Here is that part of the DMM. Super easy to build but not really worth it because the specialness of that circuit is that its driving a delay line. I guess you could build one with no bypass to give the same effect as a DMM since you no longer get a 'dry' signal but the boost on its own isn't any different from other clean boosts on the market.

It helps to have smart people around who can help me understand why my ideas are pointless. The idea was because I just think that pedal has a bit of grittiness that I really like and sometimes wish you could get without the delay. Or that you could put in front of other effects. Like other delays or reverbs. Or chorus. But I don't really know what I'm talking about, so maybe it would be fairly boring or not special once it was separated from the rest of the circuit.

Somehow once it gets referred to as a clean boost I find that I totally lose interest in the idea anyway.

I think a lot of our perception of those minor features of pedals is tied up in the fact that they're part of something else cool. A clean boost is pretty boring. The clean boost built into an SDD3000 or a DMM or an Echoplex or whatever is sexy because its part of those pedals. It would be funny if EHX made the pedal in one of the old-style big enclosures with just the one knob in the top corner.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:
tremolo3 wrote:Boss PS-500.

Or a real version of the photoshopped Strymon pitch pedal from a bunch of years ago

Oh and I would have loved to see a version of the Digitech Ricochet with all the harmony side options.

Does the RV500 not do some of that wacko delay + pitch shifting step stuff like on the PS3?
It does almost everything else...
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Ugly Nora » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Jwar wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:A Vigeland mausoleum pedal. No knobs. Not even a bypass switch. Just that amazing reverb all the time. Yes.

This is a clever thought process and idea. I like that you thought of that. How would you go about doing that I wonder? Emulating the sound inside of the mausoleum. There seems like there'd be a scientific way but would a pedal marker be able to do it? These are open ended questions btw. ;)

Maybe try something like this instead?

An electroacoustic system with 32 loudspeakers will simulate the sound of the masoleum in the space of your choice.
Multi-channel impulse responses of the mausoleum (the echo footprint) will be rendered using a CAD model of the mausoleum. Various source/receiver positions are considered, including those with special characteristics (e.g., flutter echoes).

Using a combination of close-microphone techniques and additional room microphones on stage, the instruments will be captured, convolved, and auralized with the simulated impulse responses. The levels of direct and reverberant sounds will be calibrated to receive the authentic sound of the mausoleum.

Additional microphones will be placed in the audience area to process the audience members' own sounds with the same algorithm to provide the audience with the impression that it is sharing the same space with the musicians.

:idk:
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

A pedal that has controllable oscillation between two effects loops (tempo, blend, tone).
A pedal that has adjustable dynamic envelopes for engaging between two effects loops IE play harder and one effects loop is more pronounced than the other.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:06 pm

"Gibson Kalamazoo G-101 keyboard emulator, or at least the pitch glide and other effects that can be heard on most of Sun Ra's 1973 output"

is this also the oddly guitaristic keyboard heard on the Atlantis album?
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby ts50b » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:13 pm

misterstomach wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:
misterstomach wrote:This probably does exist, but a pedal that was just the preamp from the DMM would be cool.

Here is that part of the DMM. Super easy to build but not really worth it because the specialness of that circuit is that its driving a delay line. I guess you could build one with no bypass to give the same effect as a DMM since you no longer get a 'dry' signal but the boost on its own isn't any different from other clean boosts on the market.

It helps to have smart people around who can help me understand why my ideas are pointless. The idea was because I just think that pedal has a bit of grittiness that I really like and sometimes wish you could get without the delay. Or that you could put in front of other effects. Like other delays or reverbs. Or chorus. But I don't really know what I'm talking about, so maybe it would be fairly boring or not special once it was separated from the rest of the circuit.

Somehow once it gets referred to as a clean boost I find that I totally lose interest in the idea anyway.

Electronic Audio Experiments is working on a preamp pedal based on the preamp in their Sending delay, which is in turn inspired by/loosely based on the DMM preamp. It's definitely something different, and really loses some of the mojo once you remove the delay, but it might be a comparable option
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:17 pm

[There's someone who builds space echo pre's in a stomp and aims it at setzer/rockabilly types.

yeah, i know that guy online. the pedal is called the Nocturne Brain (with variants such as the Atomic Brain, etc.) the pedal is well liked among the 'billy crowd as far as i can tell from the vantage point of the Gretsch forum. Tavo, the builder, is a really nice guy...he once gave me a ticket to see Setzer in Santa Cruz because he couldn't come up from LA. i enjoyed it more than i expected to given my general non-rating of his music.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby frigid midget » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 pm

I can only think of alternative/improved versions of existing old stuff...:idk:

RV-3 with extra control over the reverb settings for each mode. And one extra mode that does the DD-5's reverse mode :)
A small version of the DL-4 with just the looper.
Hotcake with a fix for the muddy dark low end when the gain's cranked.
Bitquest with an actual ligit flanger mode.
Digitech Timebender with louder repeats.
Fabtone with a gain control that can steer clear from the bees in a jar tone. Better overal build quality would be nice too (true bypass, good switch/knobs/inputs/etc).
DE-7 reissue with reverb, and better build quality/switch.
Line6 echo park with better build quality/switch.

Also...A programmable pattern delay, where you can choose the actual time for each repeat. Used something like that in software form, in cubase. It was decades ago, no idea if it's still around. Small footprint and affordable please :)

Last ones: small pedal version of the Korg SDD-2000, and a good affordable phaser based on just the PH-3's step phaser mode.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 pm

repoman wrote:A pedal that has adjustable dynamic envelopes for engaging between two effects loops IE play harder and one effects loop is more pronounced than the other.

Boss MS-3, maybe.

frigid midget wrote:Also...A programmable pattern delay, where you can choose the actual time for each repeat.

DD-500.

Sorry not sorry.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm

frigid midget wrote:A small version of the DL-4 with just the looper.

Hotcake with a fix for the muddy dark low end when the gain's cranked.

Fabtone with a gain control that can steer clear from the bees in a jar tone. Better overal build quality would be nice too (true bypass, good switch/knobs/inputs/etc).

A.
ts50b wrote:
ognoy wrote:DL4 2.0! Better delays and smaller footprint.

At least for the looping, the Tensor plus a midi controller can be a good DL4 replacement.

B and C wouldn't be hard to DIY

repoman wrote:A pedal that has controllable oscillation between two effects loops (tempo, blend, tone).
A pedal that has adjustable dynamic envelopes for engaging between two effects loops IE play harder and one effects loop is more pronounced than the other.

There was a company that made something like this years ago...toadworks?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:
Jwar wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:A Vigeland mausoleum pedal. No knobs. Not even a bypass switch. Just that amazing reverb all the time. Yes.

This is a clever thought process and idea. I like that you thought of that. How would you go about doing that I wonder? Emulating the sound inside of the mausoleum. There seems like there'd be a scientific way but would a pedal marker be able to do it? These are open ended questions btw. ;)

Maybe try something like this instead?

An electroacoustic system with 32 loudspeakers will simulate the sound of the masoleum in the space of your choice.
Multi-channel impulse responses of the mausoleum (the echo footprint) will be rendered using a CAD model of the mausoleum. Various source/receiver positions are considered, including those with special characteristics (e.g., flutter echoes).

Using a combination of close-microphone techniques and additional room microphones on stage, the instruments will be captured, convolved, and auralized with the simulated impulse responses. The levels of direct and reverberant sounds will be calibrated to receive the authentic sound of the mausoleum.

Additional microphones will be placed in the audience area to process the audience members' own sounds with the same algorithm to provide the audience with the impression that it is sharing the same space with the musicians.

:idk:

You just described the Meyer Sound Constellation Acoustic System. We use it at Jazz at Lincoln Center. It's pretty awesome and flexible. Hell, some restaurant used it so patrons were quieter and wouldn't fight other tables for volume.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am

sostark wrote:Harpsichord/Harp/Clavichord/Vibraphone emulator (pretty please EHX)?

Damn yes, I would love that!
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Will read all the suggestions later, but I want a relatively compact looper where I can tap in a tempo and have it time stretch the loop for when your drummer and bassist decide to fuck with the tempo. Like, no bigger than the Jamman Solo.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chrisdermo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 pm

1) Mid-Fi pedals that can be sold direct from Doug in the EU. Seriously.
2) A talkbox pedal that perfectly reproduces the Zapp & Roger sound
3) Mutronic Mutator in a pedal
4) A Zoom MS70CDR with clock tempo input and 2 extra footswitches to manoeuvre the menu with your foot.
5) A true stereo reverse reverb
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Surely in a studio you can just you use a whole bunch of convolutions that aren't tethered to stompboxes though?

Well, yes, but how would I play them live if that ever happened? Do they make boxes you can load shit like that into? I'm really new to the whole recording thing.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear