PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Postby imJonWain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm working on a PCB clone of the boss FZ-2 (exact as possible, including buffers, switching, etc). Nothing commercial just gonna do a run of 10 and sell the extras.
I honestly can't decide whether I want to do the Input/Output + DC jacks and the pots/switches all PCB mount or just have pads on the edge of the PCB.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I kinda want to do everything PCB mount just to try it out but don't want to deter people from picking up my extras.
Last edited by imJonWain on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Board mount jacks and DC are no good. Basically dictates what size box you're going to do and layout. At that point you might as well buy the Behringer clone for 24$ having pads is dope. :joy:

Just like.. my opinion man!

:)*

Edit.. even with board mount pots I usually just use solid core wire and mount them where I want.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 pm

I'd say lay it out like you want.

If I want to fly wires to an off board DC inlet jack, I can just solder the wires to the pads provided.... OR if you want to really challenge yourself you could go Swiss Army Knife on it and plant the PCB mount everything AND run additional traces out to the edge. Realistically, if you're board mounting everything you're probably going to wind up with more square inches of PCB material than you'd need, so you've room to get creative.

My only request (and I say this without committing to buying one) would be punching a mounting hole somewhere so the PCB can be secured by other than mounted parts.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dr Satan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 pm

PCB mount all the way. If people don't want to cram it in a 125B (really close to standard BOSS size) they can put fly leads in the PCB holes. People rehouse shit all the time, it's a non-issue.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Agree with crochambeau.

If it will fit in a 125B, I'm probably interested....Actually I'm interested regardless :snax:

...Better yet, if I can fit it in one of these extra boss enclosures I have lying around... :!!!:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 pm

As someone who rehoused a lot of pedals, I despise PCB mounted shit from that aspect. From a builders perspective, yes, do it. Just don't do the stomps. Those go bad faster than anything else in my experience and you'll having to remove all the guts versus just the switch later for repairs. It's not a huge deal but it is fucking annoying. lol.

PCB mounting just makes things look cleaner IIMO. The other advantage is that you don't have to do all sorts of off board wiring and go through 80 possibilities of why something isn't working. A huge disadvantage is drill templates. You better be sure that you can measure properly otherwise, it's a huge pain in the ass. You have only a tiny bit of forgiveness on board mounted shit (if any), where as off board stuff, you can do whatever you want. Holes don't line up quite right by a millimeter? Who cares.

So, I'd do all board mounted and SMD. ;) Hahaha. I don't know if you can SMD that circuit without making it sound like shit, but I'd try it.

Also mark me down as interested. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby AZX309 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:28 am

I tend to use wired leads for all the top mounted stuff and a daugtherboard and a ribbon cable for the foot switch. Works well for my workflow and a breeze to repair.
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 am

no one can really tell you what to do here because there are valid arguments for and against PCB mounted components in a guitar pedal. as someone who has tried to actually go full time with the business of selling PCB's and kits, I can attest to the fact that you will never please everyone unless you make 5 versions of the same project for each project that you want to do. I usually put it to a vote here on this forum but there are only 5 replies so not sure how good the data really is.

FACT: PCB mounted pots, jacks, and power entry with a proper ground plane and proper chassis grounding will yield the lowest possible noise floor.

FACT: PCB mounted jacks tend to fail unless you have new old stock neutrik NJM with the metal threads. these are discontinued.

over a period of 50 years I would expect all non-sealed components to require service (replacement). the longevity of your soldering connections depends on the spec that you adhere to. the passives and semiconductors all have manufacturer specifications for storage concerning temperature and humidity.

here is the nasa standard for soldering
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects