let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Postby Jwar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am

I honestly cannot get into any Rat clones I've tried. They all seem to lack something that the original has. The filter on the original is much better than any clone I've tried and that's a crucial element for me with bass. The second best would be the Volt Thrower but I just don't need all those clipping options personally.

Some of the others named didn't meet needs for low end but most are fun regardless. The Rat isn't my favorite filter but it's good for certain situations. I've found it works amazing when recording.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby repoman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am

Is the Rat the coolest pedal of all time?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hatshirt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 am

Original Proco turbo rats are my favorite.
hatshirt

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby systemofameow » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Recently started fooling around with the ol' Muff/Rat combo. Really liking how the Rat type circuit I've been using kinda tightens things up when it's in front at a lower gain setting.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby Antlerface » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:23 pm

I don’t understand why boutique clones of the Rat are a thing, when you can buy a Rat2/Turbo for less than $100 and swap the chip. I have 5 Rats, 4 are Proco. One is Chicago Stompworks original Rat clone. $100 and sounds great.. Seeing people spend $250 on a clone makes me sad.

The Proco almost always looks better too. It says RAT. Love em. Can’t find any other dirt I like at all. Ruined by the Rat. New band name.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 am

I'm consistently impressed by how versatile the rat is. Something about the controls makes it seem like it'll just do a couple sounds, but it works great for all sorts of stuff. Low gain, tone shaping, medium gain, high gain, stacking, early in the chain, late in the chain, the rat is rad.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 3205 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:35 am

I had a Rat2 once. It's not my sound. :idk:
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 am

systemofameow wrote:Recently started fooling around with the ol' Muff/Rat combo. Really liking how the Rat type circuit I've been using kinda tightens things up when it's in front at a lower gain setting.

:thumb: my setup is bassically that a rat into a muff ( the muffiant I use is a tym mudfuzz), it funny that after all these years and pedals I'm back to what I had in 96 :lol:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby cutonio » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 am

I played modded RATs, boutique RATs with switches for clipping, and I think the best one was the basic RAT2 I had and stupidly sold.

Oh, that and the Mooer.
cutonio

interested
interested

Postby calfzilla » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 am

East River Audio Touch Distortion. Cheap and versatile. Might be the only Rat I've played (I know, blasphemy) to my knowledge, but I was really impressed by how much interaction there was between the filter and gain knobs. Having a second volume level on a footswitch was cool too.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby resincum » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Antlerface wrote:I don’t understand why boutique clones of the Rat are a thing, when you can buy a Rat2/Turbo for less than $100 and swap the chip. I have 5 Rats, 4 are Proco. One is Chicago Stompworks original Rat clone. $100 and sounds great.. Seeing people spend $250 on a clone makes me sad.

The Proco almost always looks better too. It says RAT. Love em. Can’t find any other dirt I like at all. Ruined by the Rat. New band name.

Dunn sold some deceivers (rats) last year for $80 and it is by far the best 'rat' I've tried. also emulates a broken tape deck perfectly if you use it at the end of your chain :joy:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Antlerface » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 pm

The Dunn is one I haven’t tried! A friend of mine tried selling his for like 8 months and no one bit, so I figured it wasn’t great. If I ever need a 6th Rat I’ll grab one!
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby ck3 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Has anyone tried the 3pdt Landrat Mojo Distortion or Caline/Hricane Head Room? I'd give the Little Bear R.attack another go if their QC was more consistent.

I also forgot to mention the Foxrox Zim TAR+ card earlier, which is another solid option and on my random gear reacquisition shortlist.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby plhogan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:42 am

I just picked up a Proco Solo because I’ve been wanting to check out some RAT tones and it was $35, anyone have any experience with them? Mine has a weird volume drop, doesn’t hit unity gain until like 3 o’clock on the volume knob but that might be why this one was so cheap.
plhogan

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:56 am

This weekend, I got to hear the Mooer ABed with a vintage parts OG RAT clone DRod had made and the Mooer sounded pretty much identical. Uncanny level identical. Hats off to them!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear