Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 am

The Eristic wrote:Yeah, I'd say that's an upgrade! Also I'd looooove to have a Sportsman to go with my Rambler.

This 115LB with EVM15 I snagged from the GC site just showed up, completes my '80s metal box mini-stack with the 408LGS. Now I just need to find a 2100sel head!

GK shit is always so sexy :love:
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby The Eristic » Fri May 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Yeah, they've always had a really particular vibe going. The ones with the vaporwave logos (as my student calls them) like that are crazy values, too. They usually have legit Celestion/EV/etc OEM drivers inside but go for next to nothing. I paid ~$100 shipped for that 1x15 and $90 for the 4x8.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby adamajah » Fri May 18, 2018 8:20 pm

The Eristic wrote:Yeah, I'd say that's an upgrade! Also I'd looooove to have a Sportsman to go with my Rambler.

This 115LB with EVM15 I snagged from the GC site just showed up, completes my '80s metal box mini-stack with the 408LGS. Now I just need to find a 2100sel head!

Yes I was stalking the Sportsman as well before I got the Imperial. :snax:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby nad » Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 pm

I've posted these a few times, but I finally got a chance to see all 4 in the same room. Usually one is at home, another at the rehearsal space, the third with my repair guy, and a fourth shunned in a corner for being naughty. All in varying rotation, depending on their mood.

Speaking of that, the SVT-II crapped out again tonight. Fun while it lasted, alas. Anyhow, when functioning, I run any of them through an Ampeg 8x10" or Bergantino 4x12" cab. I used to go through a pair of Bag End 1x12" cabs but kept blowing speakers. GEE I WONDER WHY. :omg:
Those whose nose knows the noes.
nad

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 am

The Eristic wrote:Yeah, they've always had a really particular vibe going. The ones with the vaporwave logos (as my student calls them) like that are crazy values, too. They usually have legit Celestion/EV/etc OEM drivers inside but go for next to nothing. I paid ~$100 shipped for that 1x15 and $90 for the 4x8.

Damn dude, for real?!

How does the 4x8 pair with the 1x15? That's a set up I always wanted to try, but never made it happen.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby The Eristic » Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 pm

With the EV and small ported box, it's a fairly tight and balanced 15" that isn't really performing sub duties (it only goes down to 50hz in a TL606, and this box is much smaller), so it hangs surprisingly well with the super fast 8"s. I think I want to move it to the top, though, to see if its midrange will hit the ear a little better.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby KingNed » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm

So my setup is a bit weird. It's two 9.5" rack preamps I built running into a stereo power amp (QSC RMX1450) into two cabs - a Blackstar Artisan 2x12 with V30's and a Peavey Black Widow 1x15. The Peavey sounds a bit muffled to me so I might get something different at some point.
The two preamps are emulations of a Model-T and a Marshall Super Lead. This is an all solid state setup. Housed in a custom 3u rack case built by Zilla cabs.
Staff Party - Noise Rock Power Trio https://thisisstaffparty.bandcamp.com/
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Pretty rad :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am

KingNed wrote:Image

So my setup is a bit weird. It's two 9.5" rack preamps I built running into a stereo power amp (QSC RMX1450) into two cabs - a Blackstar Artisan 2x12 with V30's and a Peavey Black Widow 1x15. The Peavey sounds a bit muffled to me so I might get something different at some point.
The two preamps are emulations of a Model-T and a Marshall Super Lead. This is an all solid state setup. Housed in a custom 3u rack case built by Zilla cabs.

This is killer looking,

Did you build the preamps from a kit?

I used to run something similar but I ran a preamp into a kustom PA head, yours looks much cooler and more reliable.
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KingNed » Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm

hbombgraphics wrote:This is killer looking,

Did you build the preamps from a kit?

I used to run something similar but I ran a preamp into a kustom PA head, yours looks much cooler and more reliable.

Not a kit per-say. It was my own concept of execution, but the circuit boards are a GuitarPCB Sunn-T (with a JFET buffer before the volume pot), and a Runoffgroove Thunderbird on a PCB by 1776 effects. I bought the components and populated them myself. They're meant to be built in regular pedal enclosures but I wanted them in a rack configuration. I guess they're not proper 'preamps' as the output impedance isn't exactly what you'd get from a 'real' one but they sound great regardless.
The cases I bought are from a UK company called Allmetalparts.co.uk. They do this range of 'half rack' cases in various sizes and configurations. I just bought two of the most basic ones with blank panels, marked out the holes I needed, and took them to a metal workshop where they drilled the holes for me. Wired them both up in a day and then gigged it the next night.
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed May 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Sweet! so which one do you run into which cab or are they summed down in the power amp?
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KingNed » Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 pm

They each have their own channel of the power amp. The Sunn-T goes into the Peavey 15, and the Thunderbird into the Blackstar 2x12.

The choice of 12 for the super lead style circuit and 15 for the sunn seemed to accentuate their character a bit more so that's what I stuck with. The plan for support slots is to just take the 2x12 and sit it on top of whatever other cab is there. Next 3 gigs I have lined up all have Marshall 4x12s available so the Sunn will run into those.

It's pretty much an entirely new rig and I've only had the chance to gig it once last Saturday, which was a disaster. The house Orange 4x12 which the sound guy miced solely had a dodgy speaker jack which fell out from vibration In the first song. No one told me until after the show was over that there was no guitar in the PA for the whole gig. i didn't realise as the 2x12 on top was still blasting in my ear and sounded great. As I'm in a 2 piece and use a bass side to my rig, all the audience heard for 30 mins was bass and drums haha. Sucked.
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby kpsta » Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 am

My 1959 Selmer TV18 is back home after a makeover at Steamboat Amps in Houston. It was wired originally wired for 220v, designed with no power transformer, and it used these huge resistors. It also used a pair of obscure KT55 tubes, but now has a pair of 6v6s (I'll probably be selling the KT55s as I no longer have a need for them). Now it's set up to run at 120v and it sounds fantastic when totally cranked.
kpsta

interested
interested

Postby JTurbide » Thu May 24, 2018 10:56 am

:love: :drool:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm

My home basement rig, and maybe little portable travel gigging rig, it's a 15" Peavey cab I found in a pawn shop for $50 that I stripped down, rewired, pulled off the carpeting and painted black, rebuilt the grill cover (previously it was one of those lousy metal grills, and added my own kicky fabric (but kept the Peavey logo, of course!). I swapped out the shitty wheels but kept the corner thingeys to give it a little bit of a worn in look.

The head is a solid state Yorkville from the early 80's right after they were rebranded from Taynor with lots of tonal flexibility and lots of volume. I may or may not swap it out for a Peavey Centurion head I have at my space......
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear