Black Arts Black Sheep VS Crown Of Horns

Black Arts Black Sheep VS Crown Of Horns

Postby Norvhell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:20 am

Hi there,I am looking for one of these two pedals.
I already have a Pharaoh and a Fnord also by Black Arts Toneworks. The Pharaoh is my main dirt box and i'd like to have an alternative to this for my psychedelic doom band.
I'll use it through the """"clean"""" channel of my Hovercraft Falcon
Any recommendation?
Thanks!
Norvhell

interested
interested

Re: Black Arts Black Sheep VS Crown Of Horns

Postby conky » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:18 am

The Crown of Horns is an opamp muff so it'll sound really close to the Pharaoh. I don't have the Black Sheep, but if I were going for different tones, that'd be the one I'd get out of the two.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Norvhell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Actually i am considering the black sheep as the most probable choice for the same reason. But according to the BAT demos this is a pedal to be used in front of an already dirty amp and i cant really tell how it will sound through a "cleaner" amp
Any black sheep owner who can tell more about it?
Norvhell

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 pm

The black sheep is the one that's based on the bee baa, right? They (bee baa) sound great through a clean amp, but I bet would really crush through a dirty one.

Unfortunately I have not tried the Black Sheep yet (but I want to)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Norvhell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Yes,it is based on the Roland bee baa with an added 4 way selector knob for depth.
I also watched a few demos of the bee baa and it seemed a bit too "treebly" for doom applications..
Norvhell

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Norvhell wrote:Yes,it is based on the Roland bee baa with an added 4 way selector knob for depth.
I also watched a few demos of the bee baa and it seemed a bit too "treebly" for doom applications..

While I'm inclined to disagree (based on use, not demos), I would venture a guess that's why the depth selector (for bass) was added :thumb:

They certainly can have more sizzle (or treebly :) ) than the standard muddy big muff though. Also depends on which tone notch setting is used...and something that may be pretty rig dependent as well. I think of is as a sort of muff/super fuzz hybrid in sound :idk:

(Again, sorry I don't have experience with the Black Sheep specifically)

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Norvhell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Jero wrote:
Norvhell wrote:Yes,it is based on the Roland bee baa with an added 4 way selector knob for depth.

While I'm inclined to disagree (based on use, not demos), I would venture a guess that's why the depth selector (for bass) was added :thumb:

They certainly can have more sizzle (or treebly :) ) than the standard muddy big muff though. Also depends on which tone notch setting is used...and something that may be pretty rig dependent as well. I think of is as a sort of muff/super fuzz hybrid in sound :idk:

(Again, sorry I don't have experience with the Black Sheep specifically)

Thanks man!
As every BAT pedal it will do the job :thumb:
Anyway,i'll wait for someone who had a direct experience with it
Cheers!
Norvhell

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm

:thumb: I know a few people here have them so hopefully one will come along any time now! (trying to remember who, but I'm spacin')

...also, I should edit my earlier comment on the trebly thing...in the scoop/notched setting, you're are right, the beebaa is definitely just that :lol: (but that can be good some times!)

and I took some time to reacquaint myself with the other BAT pedals you already have, and you might find some overlap to be honest. That's never stopped me, or most people here from getting another type of dirt box though so maybe you should just go for it :D...There's a BAT Badascan just popped up for $115 in bst viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60361 might be worth a check as well

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Norvhell » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:07 am

The badascan is another attracting option... But i dont know, the black sheep has something that intrigues me...
Norvhell

interested
interested

Postby benjuro » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:52 am

As Conky said, the Crown of Horns (also the Badascan) would overlap with your Pharaoh a bit more than is probably useful, where the Black Sheep is quite a different beast. The four position Depth selector will definitely allow you to tune how big and burly it is, and if anything, I found mine a bit heavy on the bass and needed to crank the tone to get the treble it needed. BAT puts their own spin on the bottom end--a BeeBaa demo is going to give you only part of the character.

It was my main dirt pedal for my bass rig for years. I only used it on single channel amps that weren't producing tons of gain already, an Ampeg V4 and a Sunn Concert Bass, and it has more than enough gain and bottom end for doom. I can't imagine using it on anything but the lowest settings into an amp that's already cooking...like most BAT, it's not a practice amp pedal and needs some good headroom.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to ilovedoom.org