Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby kbit » Sat May 12, 2018 7:26 pm

fever606 wrote:@kbot: congrats! Did you record the set? Would love to hear it! Also, Mangrove is awesome... formant mode is life!

I didn't record it but I still have the patch set up was making notes today.
I'll likely do a studio take.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat May 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Plaits is a tricky thing for me. It has a lot of sweet spots but I find myself using only 3-4 modes frequently. It’s not super exciting or any kind of game changer, but I like it. I feel like it’s one of those modules which will click more once I start remembering which icons correlate to which modes

I feel the same about Plaits. I really like a few modes, but I really only use a few specific modes. Mostly because they're the modes I've learned the best. I have trouble remembering what each knob does in each mode. I'm kind of considering flipping Plaits and Rings for one or two really good oscillator voices. Definitely want to spend more time with them before I make that kind of move though
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Muse FTW » Sat May 12, 2018 10:16 pm

New setup:

NSFW: show

MrNovember wrote:
Muse FTW wrote:Plaits is a tricky thing for me. It has a lot of sweet spots but I find myself using only 3-4 modes frequently. It’s not super exciting or any kind of game changer, but I like it. I feel like it’s one of those modules which will click more once I start remembering which icons correlate to which modes

I feel the same about Plaits. I really like a few modes, but I really only use a few specific modes. Mostly because they're the modes I've learned the best. I have trouble remembering what each knob does in each mode. I'm kind of considering flipping Plaits and Rings for one or two really good oscillator voices. Definitely want to spend more time with them before I make that kind of move though

I'm a little out of love with Rings. Idk what it is, but I think I've been oversaturated with ambient eurorack stuff that only uses Rings+Plonk to do string arrangement kinda stuff. I used to love that stuff, but now I'm like, eh... My only oscillators right now are Plaits, Basilimus Iteritas Alter, Manis Iteritas, Atlantis, and Mangrove. I'm looking forward to swapping in a 4ms SWN whenever that shit comes out.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Muse FTW wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

I'm a little out of love with Rings. Idk what it is, but I think I've been oversaturated with ambient eurorack stuff that only uses Rings+Plonk to do string arrangement kinda stuff. I used to love that stuff, but now I'm like, eh... My only oscillators right now are Plaits, Basilimus Iteritas Alter, Manis Iteritas, Atlantis, and Mangrove. I'm looking forward to swapping in a 4ms SWN whenever that shit comes out.

Your new setup looks awesome! I really like your selection of sound sources. I've never really paid attention to the Atlantis before, but now I'm looking at it and thinking I could rock that....I'm also kind of thinking of just putting together a setup with Mother 32/DFAM and a complimentary effects/utilities rack

Also, I'm pretty sure that's exactly where I am with Rings too. I tend to make the same kinds of sounds with it every time and they're great sounds, but they're just not really special anymore.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Muse FTW » Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 pm

That's my main problem. I've made some really great sounds with Rings in the past but I don't find it as versatile unless I'm running it through a ton of effects or am sampling it. I might add Plonk back if I can find some room for it because it's much more versatile and can be straight up percussion if I want that, but for some reason I have tuning problems with it.

Atlantis is awesome. I'm a big fan of the SH-101 and this gets me there. For bass sounds it's immense. For leads it's piercing. My only complaint is that the MOD slider on mine gets way too intense too quickly, so there's only 5% usable travel on it, but I've been meaning to find out whether or not there's a pot on the back for that or something.

I REALLY like the Moog standalones but I've invested too much into this architecture, plus these cases, to try and cram those huge modules in here. I will be purchasing a Subharmonicon whenever they're available though - it sounds insane.

I also realized after planning everything that I forgot to put the Harmonaig somewhere, and it pairs really well with the Voltage Block. I'm also really happy I didn't sell the Morpheus. Shit sounds incredible with the Noise Engineering oscillators through it.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun May 13, 2018 12:06 am

Muse FTW wrote:That's my main problem. I've made some really great sounds with Rings in the past but I don't find it as versatile unless I'm running it through a ton of effects or am sampling it. I might add Plonk back if I can find some room for it because it's much more versatile and can be straight up percussion if I want that, but for some reason I have tuning problems with it.

Atlantis is awesome. I'm a big fan of the SH-101 and this gets me there. For bass sounds it's immense. For leads it's piercing. My only complaint is that the MOD slider on mine gets way too intense too quickly, so there's only 5% usable travel on it, but I've been meaning to find out whether or not there's a pot on the back for that or something.

I REALLY like the Moog standalones but I've invested too much into this architecture, plus these cases, to try and cram those huge modules in here. I will be purchasing a Subharmonicon whenever they're available though - it sounds insane.

I also realized after planning everything that I forgot to put the Harmonaig somewhere, and it pairs really well with the Voltage Block. I'm also really happy I didn't sell the Morpheus. Shit sounds incredible with the Noise Engineering oscillators through it.

Yeah I mainly use Rings with a lot of effects at this point too. It actually does sound really great with fuzz. But yeah, I'd like something a little more versatile. I think...

You're definitely not helping with the Atlantis. Immense bass and piercing leads are definitely triggers.

So, just for fun I put together a "Moog Field Kit" and I'm not going to lie, I really, really like the "simplicity" of it. Not sure what I'd do when the Subharmonicon comes out though. I'd need Koma to release another Field Kit to keep with the aesthetics of it all:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/665234
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 am

i still adore Rings. verrrry fun through fuzz. that's why i'm so excited the NanoRings from Michigan Sound Works ships next week. i've been using Pluck, and it's GOOD, but i love Rings.

i'm on the fence with Plaits too. don't want to sell, but want to sit down a few nights and spend hours in her.

what i don't understand is why i can get shtuff shipped to me from Detroit or Portland in 2 days, but it usually takes 3 from Cali to Cali. WHY.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Deltaphoenix » Sun May 13, 2018 6:29 am

The correct answer is both! Manis + BIA is so good.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun May 13, 2018 6:58 am

I bet! In my totally hypothetical case expansion I'd definitely have one, and would consider two just cos
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby worra » Sun May 13, 2018 8:56 am

All of y'all bored with Rings need to try the alternate modes more.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

vidret wrote:
Oh no, 3 days instead of 2?

Try 3 weeks dude :lol:

hey. HEY. my life is fraught with DIFFICULTIES OKAY. REALLY.

lol. i know. a day difference is nothing. just puzzles me that it's slower to ship in-state vs out.

well.... it SORT of matters. i'm working 5 days a week instead of 4 right now, still 10-11 hour days. and the extra money is USEFUL (holy BUTTS it's a change going from 8 hundy to 23 for rent), but it really makes me value my free time even more. so if something hits Saturday/Sunday so i get a couple days off with it?

JUICY. LIKE AN OVER-RIPE MANGO.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Sun May 13, 2018 11:00 am

Alright, I gotta put on my grandpa hat here for a second....

If you have an oscillator like Plaits that has over 15 modes, how reasonable is it to expect that you will use all of those modes often and in equal amounts? Is that necessary criteria for a multimode oscillator to be in your system, and if so, why?

I could be reading your comments wrong but if I had Plaits and I used my 3-4 core modes often and was happy with their uses, I'd feel pretty good about that. Then there could be a whole other world of sound in my system that I can discover at some point the future.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sun May 13, 2018 11:10 am

behndy wrote:what i don't understand is why i can get shtuff shipped to me from Detroit or Portland in 2 days, but it usually takes 3 from Cali to Cali. WHY.

Your state has a lot of prisons. All that inmate mail really slogs things up.

The stuff you get from out of state likely goes straight from the airport to your nearest office without further interference.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun May 13, 2018 11:15 am

kbit wrote:Alright, I gotta put on my grandpa hat here for a second....

If you have an oscillator like Plaits that has over 15 modes, how reasonable is it to expect that you will use all of those modes often and in equal amounts? Is that necessary criteria for a multimode oscillator to be in your system, and if so, why?

I could be reading your comments wrong but if I had Plaits and I used my 3-4 core modes often and was happy with their uses, I'd feel pretty good about that. Then there could be a whole other world of sound in my system that I can discover at some point the future.

Oh it's definitely not reasonable to expect to use all modes in equal amounts. But for some reason, I'm not happy until I have a solid understanding of each mode. I had the same issue with Peaks and with Disting. Don't really have that issue with O_c for some reason. I really just need to ignore all the other modes in Plaits and focus on the few core ones I really like
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am

yah. i'm not mad at the spoilt for choice aspect, and i have a ton of gear that mebbe does 10 things well but 2 of them TICKLE me and that is plennnnnnty to make me happy. i'm not sure why i feel meh towards Plaits was why i brought it up?

Prison Heavy Cali Life - huh. i never thought of that. INTERESSSSSTINNNNNG

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear