A less muddy sounding version of the Crowther Hotcake?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

A less muddy sounding version of the Crowther Hotcake?

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:58 am

Not really interested in an actual clones, what I'm looking for should sound less muddy and dark when the gain control is passed noon :idk:

I bought and flipped countless dirt pedals over the years, I've got about ten of 'em in my arsenal right now...
But I haven't come across a compact straight forward (3 controls) kinda overdrive pedal that sounds as good on both bass and guitar, as the Hotcake :idk:

My only gripe, the reason I sold mine: it's useless with the gain dimed. I coulnd't care less about transparant boosters, which the Hotcake does in spades, but everything in the gain spectrum between crystal clean and low gain warm/gritty overdrive, sounded magical, no matter what amp or gtr/bass I used. Totally pisses on a Rat or any of the Boss overdrives...I so wish it could go dirtier though, without sounding that muddy :(

I tried using a trebly overdive in front/after it, I messed with an eq pedal...Never really delivered, plus the tap dancing thing is way too annoying.

Any suggestions? Preferably nothing too rare/pricey, and if possible nothing with more than three controls. EQD dirt has always been stayed under my radar for some reason, and I'm sure I'm overlooking a whole bunch of other stuff too...
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: A less muddy sounding version of the Crowther Hotcake?

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am

You're going to have a hard time finding an actual Hotcake that doesn't get muddy with the gain dimed.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am

D.o.S. wrote:You're going to have a hard time finding an actual Hotcake that doesn't get muddy with the gain dimed.

Yeah, I figured that much too :(

With a bazillion of dirt pedals on today's saturated market, and everyone and their mothers building clones and custom builds...Here I am looking for that one particular dirt pedal that doesn't exist :facepalm:

Don't suppose anyone can confirm what I read online about the old 2-knob version? More mid hump, better for dialing out whooly lows? :idk:
Or can't a stock hotcake be modded, like with a different value pot for the presence control or something? :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am

You could check out the Mtl Assembly positive. It's a two knob hotcake -- I have one and it rules.definitely a lot of mids, but it brings the wool.

I believe they were originally made for really bright amps (vox maybe?) So that's why they're quite bass heavy.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 am

D.o.S. wrote:You could check out the Mtl Assembly positive. It's a two knob hotcake -- I have one and it rules.definitely a lot of mids, but it brings the wool.

I believe they were originally made for really bright amps (vox maybe?) So that's why they're quite bass heavy.

Yeah, I've had my eye on those. I guess the old vs new difference isn't gonna be huge, that extra bass is indeed probably what makes the hotcake so popular among vox users.

I've done threads similar to this one...."big muff that doesn't get lost in a mix", or "A rat without bass cut"...Only to conclude that those are the exact characteristics that make the pedal what it is :/
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am

Yeah, from everything I've read about the Hotcake, it's designed for use with the voicing of a Vox Top Boost/Brilliant channel.
Try a treble booster behind it, like a Rangemaster, opposed to a trebly overdrive. Basically I would try something that can be wayyyy harsh on its own and then tweak the gainstaging between pedals, probably "Hotcake set to sweetspot into a booster set for more-better-chime.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 am

ez option = get an AC30

:) :)
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 am

Tried both the treble booster and ac30 options.
AC30’s are great, but they’re no Marshalls :idk:

I might give the treble booster another try. What’s out there that’s more than a straight clone, i.e. what’s worth checking out that’s fun on its own, worth keeping even if it fails at its job of fixing my hotcake issue?
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am

A Rangemaster clone with 4-way input cap selection for varying degrees of bottom end passing through the circuit :hobbes:
Earlier this year I sold a Retroman Beano, can be found secondhand for about $130...and they sound GREAT with Marshalls alone or stacked.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 am

I found that a treble booster circuit with a "full range" setting was pretty muddy coz the low end tends to clip earlier and harder than more useful frequencies. And I kind of don't believe in adding a pedal to deal with a problem pedal but maybe I'm a trendy downsize person! A treble booster with a mid boost setting (or hi+lo cut) is more useful than full range or just treble boosting ime.

Have you tried a klone/bass soul food?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am

Some guy on TGP claims to've "figured it out":

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t.1733037/

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:47 pm

I havent tried one yet, but maybe the catalinbread sabbra cadabra. Has a presence control, and treble to full range booster.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Some guy on TGP claims to've "figured it out":

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t.1733037/

:idk:

What's his fucking point though? :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm

:lol: He wants to ease people's struggle with Hotcakes? :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Chankgeez wrote::lol: He wants to ease people's struggle with Hotcakes? :idk:

Well...He wants to ease TGP'ers struggle with Hotcakes. Mission accomplished, apparantly. Only at TGP someone gets praised for his elaborate explanation on how to use a medium gain overdrive with a vol/tone/gain configuration :facepalm:

Some of those dudes are like "damn, thanks, I should give that pedal another try. I couldn've never figured out myself I had to try maxing out the presence control when shit gets bassy at higher gain levels" :facepalm:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear