The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby oscillateur » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 am

Consider the Arion Bass Distortion. Cheap and surprisingly good sounding...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 am

You don't like muffs. Boooooooo.

Rats, Hot Cakes, HM2's, 250's, fuzz faces (if you have a blend). Pretty much anything gnarly will work if you can EQ to compensate.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 am

K2000 wrote:My friend need a bass distortion, he doesn't have any stompboxes but he has a nice tube amp. He's probably not going to spend money on an expensive boutique pedal yet. I might even buy something for him, if it's not expensive. What seems like the best pick for a heavy bass sound? Am I forgetting anything? (I don't like Muffs for bass, IMO they're too muddy). Vote?

Rat clone
Wooly Mammoth clone (too squelchy? Sustain is important)
Meathead clone
Behringer Super Fuzz (too squelchy?)
DOD Gunslinger
DOD Boneshaker

Meathead is a good call, consider a Meathead deluxe/black acid clone as the extra tweakability would be useful for dialling it in juuuuust right

My favourite bass distortions are:
distortion+/250
DBA fuzz war/apocalypse (these just fucking kill on bass)
Scrambler
basically anything from ss/bs but especially the mini
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:Definitely not into the color, but yeah those are quirky cool. Would rock.

I’d fuck with it if it had a maple neck.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am

Does he want something with a clean blend? I've found a lot of muff's used on bass get muddy quick without a clean blend; keep some clean in the signal and you can go wide open on a muff and it's still awesome.

Otherwise Rat clones, 250s, HM2 clones.
Last edited by nogodsnobedtimes on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am

oscillateur wrote:Consider the Arion Bass Distortion. Cheap and surprisingly good sounding...

:cool: cheap sleeper pedal for sure (I have 2!). One sold last week on ebay for about $25.

Another vote for hm-2 types. Throat Locust has been my go to for both guitar and bass lately.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

On the topic of bass OD/Distortion, I'm looking for something new. I've got a Bongripper (great, no clean blend though), Boss ODB-3 (decent but too synthetic sounding), and a Bass Big Muff Nano (nice for fuzz, but not what I'm after for adding beefy dirt). Who makes a good bass OD that's got a warm organic growl to it? I'm playing through a Rumble 500, so no tube breakup for me. The Darkglass Microtubes sounds good in demos, anyone here play with one?
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

^^tafm?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Hm, I don't know I hadn't though about the TAFM before. Seems like a good fit...
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:03 pm

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:On the topic of bass OD/Distortion, I'm looking for something new. I've got a Bongripper (great, no clean blend though), Boss ODB-3 (decent but too synthetic sounding), and a Bass Big Muff Nano (nice for fuzz, but not what I'm after for adding beefy dirt). Who makes a good bass OD that's got a warm organic growl to it? I'm playing through a Rumble 500, so no tube breakup for me. The Darkglass Microtubes sounds good in demos, anyone here play with one?

I've been looking at the Okko Diablo and reading (+) reviews, but they make a Basstard, which sounds appealing as well.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm

K2000 wrote:My friend need a bass distortion, he doesn't have any stompboxes but he has a nice tube amp. He's probably not going to spend money on an expensive boutique pedal yet. I might even buy something for him, if it's not expensive. What seems like the best pick for a heavy bass sound? Am I forgetting anything? (I don't like Muffs for bass, IMO they're too muddy). Vote?

Rat clone
Wooly Mammoth clone (too squelchy? Sustain is important)
Meathead clone
Behringer Super Fuzz (too squelchy?)
DOD Gunslinger
DOD Boneshaker

I've used the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe and the Bass Distortion. The distortion has a mode switch that makes the pedal sound/react drastically different.
The distortion is a project MXR did with the guy from Fuzzrocious and is based on a specialized RAT design. Two blend knobs, clean & dirty. You might have to work a bit to find the sweet spot, but once you do...great stuff.

I let the MXR fuzz go and replaced it with a sovtek muff clone by Fredric called the Green Russian. This thing really packs a wallop and retains a lot of the low frequencies, and can be found priced nicely used on Ebay/Reverb - keep an eye out. Not that many in circulation.

If you're looking at the Behry Super Fuzz, why not just jump on their Boss ODB-3 clone? Same price, I think.
Last edited by Sonaboy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 pm

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:On the topic of bass OD/Distortion, I'm looking for something new. I've got a Bongripper (great, no clean blend though), Boss ODB-3 (decent but too synthetic sounding), and a Bass Big Muff Nano (nice for fuzz, but not what I'm after for adding beefy dirt). Who makes a good bass OD that's got a warm organic growl to it? I'm playing through a Rumble 500, so no tube breakup for me. The Darkglass Microtubes sounds good in demos, anyone here play with one?

Honestly I like the rumble overdrive for that..? It sounds pretty good with the gain dialed back. If you want a pedal for stackability, the dark glass stuff is good or the Damnation Audio MBD-1. Also a Sansamp is never bad to have around.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm

BoatRich wrote:

Honestly I like the rumble overdrive for that..? It sounds pretty good with the gain dialed back. If you want a pedal for stackability, the dark glass stuff is good or the Damnation Audio MBD-1. Also a Sansamp is never bad to have around.

Yeah the Drive on the amp is pretty good. Stacking is :omg:
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby K2000 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 am

I just priced George L cables for the first time in a few years. Holy handgrenade, why so expensive??? Works out to be $9 per cable. That's rather excessive, and it seems more expensive than I remember. I don't want to be a jerk, but why doesn't somebody offer a low price clone of that stuff? I see some other companies offer something similar, but they're almost as expensive.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby actual » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 am

Slightly random, but does anyone have an idea of what pedal could be used, to achieve the effect on the 5 chord motif, starting around 1:02? Is it Geiger Counter? Was it even out in 06?
It might just be clever layering of multiple sounds, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear