Where are the big pitch shifters at??

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Where are the big pitch shifters at??

Postby qersty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Like, I am a huge fan of the eventide pitchfactor, all time fav pedal that isn't an utilitarian gain pedal. It has so many great features and really goes in depth with pitch shifting and does more if you want it too! Why aren't there any more pitch shifters like this? In this day and age you would expect someone would have designed another big-box pitch shifter like this, there are several delay, modulation and reverb pedals like this but alas... only one pitchfactor. I know alot of big-box delays touch on pitch shifting and often have shimmer and sometimes regular pitched delay, even the MD500 has the multitone octaver/organ-izer effect (great sound btw i wish the compact version lived up to the md500 algo) but only touching on it really restricts the effects to something like delay repeats.

There are alot of really cool pitch shifters that have come out the last couple years so why is there no interest for another pitch shifter with presets and lots of options, I cant be the only one, can I? Plus pitch shifting really needs presets to shine!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Where are the big pitch shifters at??

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:04 pm

There's the Eventide H9, which is where all of their stuff has gone.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby qersty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Inconuucl wrote:There's the Eventide H9, which is where all of their stuff has gone.

True, though the only thing that is new pitch-shifting-wise from the h9 is the pitchfuzz and its not like its a huge leap from the factors
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 am

Digitech Harmony Man seemed okay but fizzled. Not as deep a box as the Pitchfactor and very limited preset capability. We're not gonna see a new super harmonizer from Digi, unfortunately.

EHX could maybe do one, though I haven't seen/heard them do intelligent shifting that tracks a scale. They probably won't because they do fine selling the same tech over and over in very small slices.

Boss has had pretty good intelligent shifters for years, and some cooler specialty tricks over the years, too. No one seems to value their pitch stuff beyond utilitarian use, though, so I can see why they wouldn't have tried a specialty box. (People who need these things just keep up with the GT multi effects and the VG systems with the hex pickups.)

Who else has the tech or capability?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 am

The Pitchfactor was a major disappointment for me because its all still monophonic for harmonies. If a $120 Pitch Fork blows your $500 pitch shifter out of the water for actually performing pitch shifting duties that's kind of a problem.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:29 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:The Pitchfactor was a major disappointment for me because its all still monophonic for harmonies. If a $120 Pitch Fork blows your $500 pitch shifter out of the water for actually performing pitch shifting duties that's kind of a problem.

That's like comparing a wonderwall-in-a-campfire to a Quartet. Nothing wrong with the former but Pitchfactor is not meant to be your typical $120 octave pedal.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:The Pitchfactor was a major disappointment for me because its all still monophonic for harmonies. If a $120 Pitch Fork blows your $500 pitch shifter out of the water for actually performing pitch shifting duties that's kind of a problem.

Well consider that there is almost a decade inbetween the pedals and that the pitch fork is way more specialized. I am not fully content with the pitchfactor and in no way do i find it flawless. Why would I start this thread if i thought so?

Then again I find the pitchfork quite useless for making 4 voice intelligent harmony with a 2 second pattern delay...
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm

IMO the baseline for a pitch shifter even when the Pitchfactor came out should have been polyphonic pitch shifting. The more elaborate effects are cool but if you cant play a chord and have a harmony on it without warble and glitching that's a huge disappointment to me.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Digitech Harmony Man seemed okay but fizzled. Not as deep a box as the Pitchfactor and very limited preset capability. We're not gonna see a new super harmonizer from Digi, unfortunately.

EHX could maybe do one, though I haven't seen/heard them do intelligent shifting that tracks a scale. They probably won't because they do fine selling the same tech over and over in very small slices.

Boss has had pretty good intelligent shifters for years, and some cooler specialty tricks over the years, too. No one seems to value their pitch stuff beyond utilitarian use, though, so I can see why they wouldn't have tried a specialty box. (People who need these things just keep up with the GT multi effects and the VG systems with the hex pickups.)

Who else has the tech or capability?

I remember the harmony man, it looks nice but it is only limited to static intelligent harmonizing but im sure its great at that, the feature where you can send in a second instrument to control harmonies seems really cool. I have a digitech timebender and it has a very slimmed down version of the harmony man engine for repeats. It is cool cause you can make crazy stuff like an echoplex harmonizer.

For EHX I guess the ring thing touches the concept but its not a function monster like eventide and strymon stuff. I dont know much about the ring thing as a pitch shifter but i belive its single voice, which is a shame but it does a bunch of other cool things.

Boss had no business not making a PS20 and that has been my opinion since i first got into pedals and pitch shifters. They have a history of pretty killin' pitch shifters and all except the new one is a classic so it made no sense that they didnt make one. its not like boss are worried about stepping into weird territory, even with that series of pedals, the slicer and the waveshaper (yes boss made a dedicated waveshaper pedal) are the obvious.

I am baffled why no other company has stepped into the big-box biz with pitch shifting, everyone loves whammies, dadrockers alone are a huge market for intelligent harmonizers, and mathrock is just growing and growing. What I'm saying there has to be a market. I have three pitch shifters in my rig rn, two are huge and i always consider new ones for new sounds so having a unit that does everyhing would be great
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:IMO the baseline for a pitch shifter even when the Pitchfactor came out should have been polyphonic pitch shifting. The more elaborate effects are cool but if you cant play a chord and have a harmony on it without warble and glitching that's a huge disappointment to me.

Actually I dont think pristine polyphonic pitch shifting in pedals was much of a thing outside of the POG, which does octaves only. Correct me if I'm wrong. The other options I can think of back then were the Boss PS5 and Whammy 4, both sound awful and the pitchfactor was a huge difference. I agree it shouldnt be sold for 500 new still but if you look at used prices it's totally worth the tracking issues
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

BTW are you talking about regular pitch shifting or intelligent harmonies? Cause tracking chords in intelligent modes is way tricker to pull off cause of the scale things, then if you do pull it off it still may track weirdly if you play weird chords and have your harmonizer set to just major or minor cause it tracks the decor as dissonances
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Someday?

Someday. :bear:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tom Von Kramm » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pm

You have to separate the pitch-shifting market (which is huge) from the harmonizer market (which is miniscule). Additionally I always found the calls for Strymon to make a polyphonic pitch-shifter to be odd, since they have zero experience or history with polyphonic pitch-shifting.

Who knows, maybe they can snag our old team? (joking, they can't, that team has already been snagged by a much bigger player).
Hi I'm Tom Cram, I'm the Main Dude at Spiral Electric FX.
Tom Von Kramm

committed
committed

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Tom Von Kramm wrote:Who knows, maybe they can snag our old team? (joking, they can't, that team has already been snagged by a much bigger player).

:group: :yay: :cool: :animal:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 pm

I look forward to the Behringer Ruuberneck.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear