Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby emcee_m_prime » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 am

Wow that is hot
emcee_m_prime

involved
involved

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm

emcee_m_prime wrote:Wow that is hot

also thats messy? please :cool:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Yeah I was also thinking that it's nowhere near messy ;) looks great!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzonaut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

:lol: Thanks guys.

messi.jpeg
messi.jpeg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby garyg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm

dminner wrote:
LaoWiz wrote:For me, I etch face up. ....

I do etch face up too. I don't use acid, I use a base. I get sodium hydroxide pellets off of Amazon (for soap making). Mix up a solution that is 40g in 100ml of water. It is slower and more controlled than acid. So I add it, go do something for 30-40min, come back and rinse it off. It doesn't give off fumes like the acid and to dispose Just rinse it down the drain, most drain cleaners are just sodium hydroxide solution.

I'm new to etching and totally in awe of the work of both of you. So far only tried some test etching using the salt water/electricity method with interesting results... :)

Question: when you say you etch face up, does this mean you just drip/dribble the acid/base on the design from above? Or do you mask off the rest of the enclosure and submerge the whole thing? Thanks.
garyg

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I think they apply it to the top of the enclosure. If you submerge, it can quickly react and create heat/mess/etc.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AZX309 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 pm

That graphic turned out swell
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby Ben79 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

A finished (almost) Frog.

Just needs the graphic sticking on and making sure that expression pedal control works on the filter cutoff.

Couldn't actually be happier with what this thing does.
Basically just a silicon FF and a Harmonic Energizer (filter/wah/boost/eq/OD), both modified a bit.
The two circuits give you access to a lot of tones when paired, the HE can really push the bottom for a big Muffy fuzz but with control over the texture using either silicon or germanium clippers and the bias control I discovered by accident on the FF.
The feedback loop works really nice, I can't actually believe how much weird and different sound there is in this without even touching the guitar. I ended up putting a 100k pot in series in the loop and a toggle as well as the footswitch momentary so you can just connect a guitar and use the pedal as a noise box which sends me off into another world. Anyway I should shut up about that and make a video.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Looks rad! :) I would love to see a video of that in action
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

fire
love the enclosure
for some reason makes me think its the ghost trapper thing from ghost busters
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Totally. Haha.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm

i always wanted that shit when i was a kid.
glad my parents never got it for me tho.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 pm

garyg wrote:
dminner wrote:
LaoWiz wrote:For me, I etch face up. ....

I do etch face up too. I don't use acid, I use a base. I get sodium hydroxide pellets off of Amazon (for soap making). Mix up a solution that is 40g in 100ml of water. It is slower and more controlled than acid. So I add it, go do something for 30-40min, come back and rinse it off. It doesn't give off fumes like the acid and to dispose Just rinse it down the drain, most drain cleaners are just sodium hydroxide solution.

I'm new to etching and totally in awe of the work of both of you. So far only tried some test etching using the salt water/electricity method with interesting results... :)

Question: when you say you etch face up, does this mean you just drip/dribble the acid/base on the design from above? Or do you mask off the rest of the enclosure and submerge the whole thing? Thanks.

Hey man, I stick the enclosure on top of something like a plastic cup or small piece of squared off wood so that it's suspended from the bottom of the plastic tub / bin. Enclosure is face up and I pour on some ferric chloride and get the top of the enclosure covered. I use a chip brush to swirl it around a bit, add some more acid. When it starts to heat up too much I dunk it in a bin of water and let it cool down and then repeat the process till I think it's done. Ferric is pretty nasty stuff but I used to live a block away from radio shack and would just go and pick it up whenever I needed it. I tried acid magic and different brands of ferric chloride but the radio shack stuff always worked the best for me. Now I just order it online. Would like to try dminner's method with sodium hydroxide, though. Seems better for the health and environment!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby garyg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

LaoWiz wrote:Hey man, I stick the enclosure on top of something like a plastic cup or small piece of squared off wood so that it's suspended from the bottom of the plastic tub / bin. Enclosure is face up and I pour on some ferric chloride and get the top of the enclosure covered. I use a chip brush to swirl it around a bit, add some more acid. When it starts to heat up too much I dunk it in a bin of water and let it cool down and then repeat the process till I think it's done. Ferric is pretty nasty stuff but I used to live a block away from radio shack and would just go and pick it up whenever I needed it.

Cool, thanks a lot. So do you need to cover the sides of the enclosure or isn't it an issue, acid running down the sides? I made a few boards back in the day with ferric so think I should be ok with that side of things.

Would like to try dminner's method with sodium hydroxide, though. Seems better for the health and environment!

Yeah, without sounding like a health and safety nerd, I'd be careful on the health side, that shit is nasty if you get it on your skin/in your eyes. But better for the environment though (hopefully, clears my drains brilliantly ;))
garyg

interested
interested

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm

garyg wrote:
Cool, thanks a lot. So do you need to cover the sides of the enclosure or isn't it an issue, acid running down the sides? I made a few boards back in the day with ferric so think I should be ok with that side of things.

Would like to try dminner's method with sodium hydroxide, though. Seems better for the health and environment!

Yeah, without sounding like a health and safety nerd, I'd be careful on the health side, that shit is nasty if you get it on your skin/in your eyes. But better for the environment though (hopefully, clears my drains brilliantly ;))

I never cover the sides as i like the acid to fuck up the sides too. Blue painter's tape works though if you want to keep the sides clean.

Ferric is definitely nasty, I just wear gloves and have a legit respirator, do it outside in open air, have a fan close by, etc....
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects