Guitar Center drum mics SOS - and a flute?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Guitar Center drum mics SOS - and a flute?

Postby Thylacine Dream » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Hey y'all!

I don't post much, have lurked for years and bought a couple things from ILFers, but I need your help. My drag punk band Pussy Tuesday has 10 days to get all this shit together for a festival we're playing at The Smell in LA, and at a minimum I wanna have tapes to sell. I'm recording us live in our music room on an old Fostex 4 track: I DI my bass into one input, the singer gets another, and we have two left for the drums.

My bass is at GC getting set up, and I'm pickin it up in a couple hours. Unless anyone in greater LA sees this and wants to sell me something, I need to bite the bullet and buy mics there today, too. I was thinking a kick mic and an overhead made the most sense with just two inputs left, am I on the right track? What would be at GC that'd be good to get?

I just got a new credit card, so budget is open lol. However, I want something cheap and tough and faithful, but that I won't outgrow too quickly; whatever the kick and overhead equivalent of the SM57 might be. All I have right now are an SM58, 3 Behringer Ultravoice XM1800Ss, some Pyle PDMIK1s ($3.50 apiece on PartsExpress, holla), and, like, the mic that comes with Rock Band. Please help this lost little lamb. :cry:

PS: If anyone plays flute, I'm interested in buying a cheap one that isn't trash for my boyfriend for Valentine's tomorrow. What should I look for?
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
@punkcrushband @painbehavior @queeraspunk @puzzytuesday
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Re: Guitar Center drum mics SOS - and a flute?

Postby crochambeau » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Is the gear you have now not cutting it?

I see a lot of dynamic mics, which can work fine in a pinch. If you're wanting something a little more elaborate than hanging a dynamic on kick and another at the drummer's head maybe a pair of small diaphragm condensers that run electret/battery power so you don't open up a wormhole of a money pit?

10 days between not having a recording and having tapes to sell is really slim, I HIGHLY recommend keeping it simple.

To whit: assuming you have already been recording practices, what ONE aspect would you like to change?

If you have NOT been recording and are going into this kind of cold, I would suggest finding the closest thing to an omni electret in the center of the room (boombox style), play your heart out and not fucking look back.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 am

crochambeau wrote:Is the gear you have now not cutting it?

... I HIGHLY recommend keeping it simple...

If you have NOT been recording and are going into this kind of cold, I would suggest finding the closest thing to an omni electret in the center of the room (boombox style), play your heart out and not fucking look back.

yeah if you are trying to do this in less than 10 days, just keep it simple, do the best you can with what you have/whatever you buy, and see what you can get to happen without being overly critical about it. Just about any dynamic microphone with give you okay results. Condenser mics are going to usually be a little bit more expensive but they would work great as well. With condesers though, you need to be careful that they can handle the level of sound you are going to be recordings. Some are not okay to work with in really loud situations. I have no idea what level you are playing at though. Dynamics are kind of your safe bet

This doesn't really help the current situation, but when you get back from your event, now you will know what you can begin to research about and begin to try experimenting around with.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby Thylacine Dream » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for the help, y'all. We had all sortsa problems with the mics and the (very limited) inputs on the 4 track, wound up having to use just one overhead for drums so they're super weak. But we muddled through! Results here

Pussytuesday.bandcamp.com
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Postby boneslygrifter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 am

It works really great for the style, honestly. Good job for what you had to work with! I love the concept of a drag punk band, queer musicians unite!
My music:

https://hetchetchy-tx.bandcamp.com/releases Side project with my best friend, we wrote and recorded this in two days.

https://mummertheband.com/releases Same friend on drums with another on guitars/lead vocals
boneslygrifter

committed
committed

Postby Thylacine Dream » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 am

boneslygrifter wrote:It works really great for the style, honestly. Good job for what you had to work with! I love the concept of a drag punk band, queer musicians unite!

Thank you! We got a video up now too. Where are you at? We have a music/drag show in the LA area if you're around or passing through and ever wanna play :)
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording