My Into The Unknown kit . . .

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

My Into The Unknown kit . . .

Postby Paul_C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 am

At this point it's all about the paintjob - I started by painting it with some white primer followed by three coats of pink:

Having done that, I started googling for different DIY pedal paint and that led me away from the solid pink, such that it currently looks like this:

. . . and with the knobs which I bought before I'd given the slightest thought to finishing (not the most sensible idea), which I may well end up changing at some point.

I'm currently thinking about whether to leave the pink at the top as it is or put more white on. Once that's done I'm going to put a few coats of satin clear on top and that should be that :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: My Into The Unknown kit . . .

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I like it man. Yeah I think with what you have added a little more white at the top may be in order. Just my opinion. :)

It's looking excellent
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Looks awesome. I really like the backdrop of pink, though cloudy thinned white so the pink seeps through might not impact the feel.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:53 pm

I like the pink. :love: Everybody needs more pink. :idk:

I don't like those ketchup & mustard knobs though. I think you should change 'em. :snax:

Looks great overall though! :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Blue knobs? 1900h style... ? The orange ones are fairly florescent fyi from Tayda
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Update: More paint added and some different knobs (I didn't have enough pink so added two red ;) )

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Dope! :!!!:

Yeah that looks pretty fresh Paul, the two dubious fellows are a nice touch.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Nicely done! :thumb:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm

So, the clear coats I added refused to dry, so it all got stripped back to bare metal. While sanding it to prep for spraying primer I thought I'd see what it looked like if I buffed the enclosure.

Not bad, so that's what it looks like for now. No markings to show what the knobs and switches do, which seemed appropriate.

I had an afternoon free today and thought I was going to make a start on the soldering, but it was a lot easier than the last build I did so I finished it!

Not only that but it worked first time :)

I've spent a small amount of time with it and I'm very pleased with the weirdness so far. :joy: :joy: :joy:

So now I need to start a "what pedal kits would I like?" list.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Man you need to score a thrift store toaster oven. Bake those hard to dry finishes into submission with ease!!

I'm kind of bummed your dope paint scheme is gone, but buffed is cool too. Isn't the device insane? I swear it makes me play differently every time I use it .

I would highly recommend the Xor'Cist if I haven't said that already. It's a really fun one.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

I'll add the Xor'Cist to the list, I also like the sound of the Flangelicious Multiflange.

I might see if I can order another pre-drilled enclosure (rather than try to get all those holes in the right place ;) ) which I can take my time painting.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm

what Line 6 pedal is that?
Faldoe

Postby Paul_C » Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 pm

A Liqua Flange, picked up when they were giving them away for £20.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 am

I thought this might be a troubleshoot thread, but now I'm glad I clicked it. Finish looks way cool before the stripping. I mean, it looks cool now too, but I'm a sucker for handpainted stuff. Redo it! :p :!!!:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am

I might leave the sides polished and re-paint the top sometime - I liked it too!

The biggest problem with a new kit pedal is wanting to know what it sounds like - no patience!
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects