Non conventional effects.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Non conventional effects.

Postby BitchPudding » Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

So recently I've gotten into using things like old toys and buddha machines as sound sources to feed through my guitar into my amp. Shit sounds wild and has given me a lot of ideas for textures with my band.

Do any of you guys do something similar and if so what do you use? Is there some sort of crappy dollar store toy that does the thing better?

Discuss.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Non conventional effects.

Postby gnomethrone » Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

For free weirdness you could get some apps on your phone. There's a bunch of kaosillator style ones where you drag your finger around a grid. I like using Ethereal Dialpad on my ipad straight into my pedalboard. It gets spooooooky. There's also free soundboard and sampler type stuff.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

One of those accidental discoveries for me has been placing my phone either on various pedals or my amp- the roaming hash or whatever is happening can be part Maestro FS&H and part modem. Push it through a delay into reverb/fuzz and you’ve got a new bandmate. Was going to say free, but having a phone isn’t exactly free.

Wondering now if I should charge an old flip phone from the obsolete electronics pile- could just always have it with the pedz.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby 01010111 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:59 pm

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue May 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Baby monitor lofi delay echo...move it around for different echo lengths.

Crochambeau mentioned old medical recording rack devices in the ring mod thread.

I mounted a pickup over my other pickup on a swing like bit of copper so o could do trem effects with my hand. Also worked well as a feedbacker.

The old sustainiac transducer to the headstock trick.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby moid » Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I once strapped some rubber bands of differing thicknesses to a flower press ( they became very taught between the metal bolts of the press) and then placed the press on a heavy hardwood table and put a microphone underneath the table and recorded me playing the rubber bands - it sounded like a lo fi upright double bass :)

The flower press looked a bit like this (although ours has longer bolts which is more resonant)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm

01010111 wrote:https://www.guitarcenter.com/StompLight/DMX-Pro-Lighting-Effects-Pedal.gc

Fuck if I had 300 buck I would. Haha

These are all great suggestions so far. Definitely gonna try some. The baby Monior thing sounds interesting.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Contact mic!
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

too bad there is literally no more toy stores in the states. toys r us used to always have some cool stuff. weird mics / keyboards.
i got a spongebob drum machine a couple years ago for my bday that had like mostly 909 sounds on it.

that ucreate thing was pretty cool by mattel. not sure how much they go for now.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 am

Might not have the same mojo as an old circuit bend toy or whatever...But really, there's not much you can't do with your phone, a cheap tape deck, and a couple of contact mics.

That, and a whole bunch of pedlols ofcourse :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

+1 for smartphone apps
Speak & spell is nice if you can't afford the original one.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Confuzzled » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

fuzzisokiguess wrote:One of those accidental discoveries for me has been placing my phone either on various pedals or my amp- the roaming hash or whatever is happening can be part Maestro FS&H and part modem. Push it through a delay into reverb/fuzz and you’ve got a new bandmate. Was going to say free, but having a phone isn’t exactly free.

Wondering now if I should charge an old flip phone from the obsolete electronics pile- could just always have it with the pedz.

I have my dads old iPhone 4 that I blanked and loaded with nothing but outdated music apps. I can't add anything new but it works for what it is.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby Achtane » Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
I mounted a pickup over my other pickup on a swing like bit of copper so o could do trem effects with my hand. Also worked well as a feedbacker.

Do you have any pics of this setup? Sounds pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm

make your self some piezos, take a bare enclosure, have piezo disk barely touching it and lay your phone on the enclosure while its playing somthing..scratch the piezo on the aluminum and loop it, slow it down...now you have horns....my red army od hates cell phones....anyways....take one of these \ break it open, take out the little reed piece and blow into it while it rests on your guitar strings...been using my guitar as a drum lately...
Last edited by comesect2.0 on Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm

there were 4 motors on this before it was decommissioned
dyt 003-iloveimg-resized[1].jpg
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear