Red Panda Tensor

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Red Panda Tensor

Postby Jwar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 am

So that's two firmware updates then? At least they are trying to fix stuff. That's promising. I've been using mine strictly as a pitch shifter until they get it right but I'm not sure I'm going to hang onto it. Noticed a few folks on Reverb feel the same way.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Paul_C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

damnableman wrote:Interesting.

I played for a few hours last night. The click was real. Looking forward to trying out the new firmware tonight.

The clicking is worst when using the pedal in momentary mode. If you hit a note and then engage the pedal, the click is SHARP. If you disengage the pedal before the note ends, the click is very sharp again.

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 am

zoooombiex wrote:New firmware up today http://www.redpandalab.com/downloads#tensor

-Reportedly has more seamless looping
-Also added a script to avoid potential issues with updating on a mac

Yes, two in two days. At least they're working on it.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:24 pm

damnableman wrote:Hahaha. When I saw it was you posting, I knew you'd be asking.
I'll see if I can record something tonight.

Ha! Yes. I'm a greedy Gus.

In the mean time I guess I'll post things by other peoples.
I'm not sure if these peeps have updated firmware or not.

Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DIYDIYMyDarling » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Thank you Zoooombiex for doing such an incredible job detailing all of the issues you’ve seen so far with this pedal. I can also replicate pretty much all of the issues you’ve described, and I wouldn’t be suprised if whoever is doing these fixes over at Red Panda also used your writeups to help diagnose problems.

I also get the click when recording a full 4.8s loop 100% of the time as well, which is pretty disappointing, but other use cases seem much improved. I can still get some static when overdubbing many layers, and overdubbing with the pitch and time knobs active gets messy really quick, but overall things are better. On v1.0.2, I have yet to get a click when overdubbing over a seam (excluding the previous use-cases).

I tend to avoid being an early adopter for a lot of tech, so this has been a super frustrating experience, but I’m relieved to see things moving in a good direction. I really, really like the Tensor’s UI, and I hope they don’t give up on it. All of these glitch/stutter pedals make similar sounds, but AFAIK none can be played the way the Tensor can. It is super fun and unique in that regard.
DIYDIYMyDarling

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby taco satori » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Haven’t updated the firmware yet, so I don’t know if this would be true post-updates, but has anyone noticed in REC mode, with the Random knob up around noon or less, that the sample’s randomization almost sounds like it’s following the envelope of your real-time playing?

I swore it was taking my playing into account by giving me the lowest and loudest parts of the sample simultaneosly or at least ballpark around the same time that I’d be hitting it with transient-heavy playing, then it would back off around the times that I would. To test it out, I let the sample play and noticed that it would cycle largely unchanged. It behaved really different than when I was hitting it with discontinuous skronky guitar.

Maybe I was just catching it on a weird day, but for the last week I’ve been playing along with it as if it’s something accompanying me, to a way greater degree than Mode 2 of the Count to Five. Really nifty thing, this one.
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby damnableman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby damnableman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 am

Couldn't get it to noticeably replicate what you described, but I did eventually land on a lovely setting. As described in the manual, as RAND increases the variance from the knob positions (SPEED, TIME, PITCH) increases. At the setting below, it does randomly jump away from the octave up, but not in the atonal way it does when RAND is at higher settings. Rather than leaping about between all of the intervals it seems to be primarily playing the octave up and the straight recording.
creepy friends.jpg
creepy friends.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 3561 times

Sorry Seance, I'm terrible for not recording anything. No demos ever, despite good intentions. Come to a show sometime?
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:04 am

I want one of these just because it seems like the best size pedal ever. Any other stuff use this box? Or am I crazy for thinking that it's unique when really it's a standard size box?
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Seance » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 am

damnableman wrote:Sorry Seance, I'm terrible for not recording anything. No demos ever, despite good intentions. Come to a show sometime?

You play in Canada ever?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:16 am

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

I am so glad I didn't sell this pedal. I find myself using it almost every single time I play, which is extremely rare for me to do these days. Between this and the Stammen 2, I'm in hog heaven. I don't really use them to their full abilities but I wrote a riff tonight that actually sounded great to me and I could imagine drums and everything for it.

So, I never updated mine either, which I know right? I don't notice any clicks or anything anymore? WTF. I'm super confused and actually scared to update it now. I don't know if it will make it change. I'm super baffled by that though. I even video taped the shit and now I can't get it to do any weird clicks or noises. Maybe I updated it at some point and am just too stupid to remember?

Anyway, I LOVE this pedal. I take everything back I said. LOVE.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear