People who use mini pedals: why?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: People who use mini pedals: why?

Postby ognoy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm

I use 1 mini pedal atm, Mooer Yellow Comp.
It's small, cheap, sounds good and I don't use it that often, but being small and cheap I can justify having it on my board still.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Because pedalboard Jenga...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm

As others have said, it works for an always-on pedal, like an overdrive or comp, but for the most part they're just a lot more awkward than a 1590B with top-mount jacks. IMHO that's the perfect pedal format for anything basic (you can use a 125B w/ top mount if you have tons of extra functions like Dr Sci).
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Has anybody mentioned that "why" and "kawaii" rhyme?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Has anybody mentioned that "why" and "kawaii" rhyme?

Only if you say it like Hank Hill.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Seance » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Has anyone mentioned that Hawaii and kawaii rhyme?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:05 pm

RIP, Nokie Edwards (even though he doesn't play on this album) :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC77xOwYyR0
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frodog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

minis.JPG
minis.JPG (215.3 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

These are the two mini pedals on my board, EAR Electronics The Ghost delay and Fairfield Accountant comp. The main/right hand side of the chain ends with these two. They are connected by a Hosa dual plug and mounted on a Diago riser, which as you can see gives some extra room for a side jack pedal to be right up against the riser side, under the delay input jack. The pink/gold cable takes up the space on the other side of the riser, going from comp (always on) to amp.

All in all these two pedals take up about as much space as a 1590BB w/ side jacks. There's no particular reason why I got 1590As except that I thought these bbs looked good and they were effects I needed at the time. Then they ended up together because I wanted to keep delay oscillations from getting too loud, and I just like having comp/boost last.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:23 pm

frodog wrote:Image

:love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I hate mini pedals.

I have two on my board - a polytune and a ditto. I would rehouse both into 125B but the screen on the polytune and the shitty soldering keep me from doing it.
As everyone has said - they waste space with the jack placement and overbalance easy.

Got my accountant rehoused to a top mount 125B. Depending on what plugs you are using it takes up less space than it used to as a 1590A.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Chankgeez wrote:RIP, Nokie Edwards (even though he doesn't play on this album) :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC77xOwYyR0

Just heard...

Sucks.

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 pm

I bought Mooer Black Secret once on Craigslist not realizing how tiny it was and was like “this is so fucking stupid” especially next to my muff also I didn’t really like it and sold it for the same price a week later but I guess I’m out like 3 hours of my life so fuck that shit amirite lads?

So to sum up: I once did a thing and thought it was dumb.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I like this explanation in the form of a question, as well as the aforementioned idea of pedalboard Jenga. Aside from being cute, affordability has led me to invest in a growing collection of mini boosts, overdrives, octavers, and modulation/filter pedals. Many are of decent enough quality for recording or hardcore bedroom playing, and Valeton makes shrunken Boss pedals (Loft series). There's even a mini Pearl Octaver on the market (Eno Octaver), though some quirks in the design need to be rectified. Additionally, more boutique builders like Pigtronix, (Dead) fx, Aminal Audio, Banana Effects, and one of the founders of Function f(x) are producing minis. When using EBS cables, the form factor isn't as much of an issue. With brands other than One Control, lack of practical battery power can be annoying, especially with a smaller brick power supply and/or cramped board. Also, I would agree that Valeton Coral series and Rowin/Donner micro mini pedals are a funky shape that can make standard-sized cable placement challenging, though many quality toanz are still possible.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 am

Seance wrote:
Corey Y wrote:For something like a RAT, where personally I'm typically leaving it on all the time with one setting, I wouldn't mind having a mini pedal. Especially because even if every Rat or clone I've had is top jack, it's still pretty wide or awkwardly sized. So having side jacks and the power jack take up a little extra space width wise, doesn't completely counter the space saving aspects of the mini format. Something that is "set and forget" like a boost or simple overdrive, that I'm turning off and on, I guess it would depend how stable it is on my board.

For something more fiddly or that is already pretty compact sized and/or top jack, might not be worth it for me. I don't think I'd want a lot of mini pedal in a row on my board, if I were planning on turning things off and on frequently.

Sounds like you want the Rat Tail Distortion. Plug and chug.

Deets:
http://www.ratdistortion.com/product/366/rat-tail-distortion

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on. I have had a rat on constantly for 5 years as my "clean" base tone and this just blew my mind. Bless you sir
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby The Eristic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 am

frodog wrote:
minis.JPG

I dig the Accountant, but I wish they made a bigger compressor. My big toe is larger than that thing.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear