U N F I N I S H E D projects

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

U N F I N I S H E D projects

Postby LaoWiz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Thought this could be a fun reminder to finish shit up. Post what you have yet to finish, want to finish or need to finish.

Here's a small sampling of mine:

1) PLL - this is the circuit on the breadboard that I laid down back when the schematic surfaced courtesy of Dino. 2013? Fucked with it a lot that year and then set it aside and would fuck with it on and off. After fucking with it some late last year, I decided to buy a new big breadboard and rebuilt the circuit on that one to fuck with it some more. On the new breadboard (not pictured) I've been more conservative with the space so there's plenty of room to try different shit out like playing around with different front ends before the pll chip or running the fuzz, multiplier and divider signals into different circuits before they sum up before the mixing stage. I should really just buy a Montreal Assembly PLL or Data Corruptor as I'll never finish it but maybe....

2) Trinity Triwatt / Hiwatt - wanted to finish this up before Christmas buuutttttt...... Got so far as building the board, installing all of the hardware, wiring up the heaters, but missed building pedals so took a break. If I had good solid windows of hours of time to make solid progress it would get done faster but I've put in time here and there and feel like some mistakes gonna happen so taking this one super slow. So now I'm playing out of a shit old Crate practice amp and will probably just get my Traynor fixed in the meantime.

3) Here's some pre-etch boards - 2 Brassmasters, 2 Fox Tone Machines, and 1 Systech overdrive. Since I took this one, the Tone Machines have been populated but I need to etch some diode clipping boards as these are going to have 9 options of clipping. Got 75% of the way through one of the Brassmasters but probably going to shelve that one till I finish up some more pressing matters. The Systech overdrive is done but just needs to be tested. Super excited about the Systech and thinking I will need to make a batch of these if it sounds like any of the videos out there. Got the layout from freestompboxes but the schematic that was posted there is long gone. The only other schematic I found online shows 1 jfet, 1 transistor, and 1 IC while the layout I'm using has an extra transistor so I'm going to need to trace the layout to make a new schematic so I can make a new layout if I put some for grabs. Will likely include clipping options because why not? Who knows if these will ever see the light of day but I hope so...

4) Here's the RAT board that needs wires and an enclosure and hope to finish soonish! Scored a couple of metal can LM308s from an estate sale awhile back so super stoked to finish this up as the ones I made a couple of years ago sounded pretty awesome. Doing lots of clipping options because I have lots of diodes going to waste!

5) Tone Machine boards - Oh wait, these are done(!) since these pics were taken. Just need to test and finish the updated graphics and choose the knobs!

6) Bag of various - got the Tone Machines in here along with an unpopulated Percolator board, Corruptor Ring Mod, FYF fuzz (flanagan's take on the Harmonic transformer), HF Modulator and maybe a couple of others.

This past weekend I did test Freppo's Corruptor Ring Mod. I etched and bought 2 pcbs of the first version but never got any of them to work so it's been on my mind for a long ass time. Finally got this one going and it sounds amazing. I also built and tested the FYF fuzz and it sounds awesome too except the intensity switch for a full nuclear blast of fuzz doesn't work. Think it's open so it's blasting full bore but doesn't sound quite as gnarly as the video he posted so maybe I flubbed something...

I think this is about a eighth of what I have on the plate :cry:
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Re: U N F I N I S H E D projects

Postby Ben79 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

:snax:
Those are some classy looking projects.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby LaoWiz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Ben79 wrote::snax:
Those are some classy looking projects.

Thank ya! PMing you made me want to make some FY2s again....
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AZX309 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:50 pm

oh man i have a few of those

NEEDS WORK

Top is a modded Super Duper and the bottom is a superfuzz with a wah instead of the tone circuit.

Made a bunch of small mistakes with the Super Duper board and the switching works weird.

the first BONEFACE i made had super low output and its been languishing in dev hell since. I just need to get off my ass and put pots on this one.

NEEDS BOXES

EAE Magic Missile Proto board

EAE 2PI Rev 2

another EAE/S&K bifet

John was nice enough to send me some boards after some spring cleaning. The 2Pi will be a fun exercise in offboard wiring

One Knob Experimental octave clang. Wanted to know what would happen if i stuck the transformer in backwards. Less output bur a bit more of a gnarly octave.

bugg carcosa fuzz clone. Ridiculously good for what it is, i highly suggest building one or picking up a real one.
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Oh shit.

Elby ASM 2. Pretty much just waiting on panel and panel wiring. (edit: this one has been in stasis for about a decade, waiting on panel and indefinitely delayed by my sick take on perfectionism)

Elby panels inspired my collecting parts for a CNC machine build. This predates turnkey CNC machines in the sub $1K range.. hahahaha (edit: this one is waiting on a few things. Was going to be an EMC2 (now linuxCNC) computer controlled machine, but that tower is long gone now. Waiting on metal work as well, stuck in pre-optimization hell)

Drawer full of other shit. There's a fair amount of modular stuff in there, but that's all waiting on the ASM2...

I guess my resolution plan should begin with getting the CNC squared away.
Last edited by crochambeau on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dminner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

My piles are the inverse of all of these. They are stacks of finished enclosures for circuits I never made haha.
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

edit* I'm an idiot, wrong thread
Last edited by Jero on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AZX309 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 pm

dminner wrote:My piles are the inverse of all of these. They are stacks of finished enclosures for circuits I never made haha.

you could probably BST most those
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Yeah true that.. my enclosure skills and desire for said skills are sorely lacking.. but I do like to have decent looking pedals.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:00 pm

[quote="AZX309"]oh man i have a few of those

HA yes!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 pm

AZX309 wrote:oh man i have a few of those

Nice! I should post my non working circuits / gave up on box too...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm

crochambeau wrote:Oh shit.

Elby ASM 2. Pretty much just waiting on panel and panel wiring. (edit: this one has been in stasis for about a decade, waiting on panel and indefinitely delayed by my sick take on perfectionism)

Holy crap, man! That looks insane!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm

dminner wrote:My piles are the inverse of all of these. They are stacks of finished enclosures for circuits I never made haha.

Man I wish I had that problem. Once I do the circuit it usually takes me forever to design the graphics...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:59 pm

LaoWiz wrote:

Holy crap, man! That looks insane!

It does push my envelope a bit. Funny enough, today facebook bothered me with this:

......drumroll......

IT'S BEEN STUCK FOR NINE FUCKING YEARS
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:36 pm

crochambeau wrote:
LaoWiz wrote:

It does push my envelope a bit. Funny enough, today facebook bothered me with this:

......drumroll......

IT'S BEEN STUCK FOR NINE FUCKING YEARS

Man, that's too funny! Hope it sees the light of day someday.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to DIY Effects