Big enclosure filling suggestions / motivational build log

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Big enclosure filling suggestions / motivational build log

Postby Ben79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am

I bought a few large metal enclosures (10x7x18cm), from Leicestershire Police!, and I need to build a few pedals to pay the bills - I'm wondering what to put in them.

So far, I've come up with...

Something garagey - I was thinking, all in one box, a Si Fuzzrite, an FY2 (with mid control mod) and a SuperHardOn with a rotary switch to select between them and a stacked position. But I have no idea if they stack well.

I don't really stack fuzzes....any suggestions on stackables?

Something eccentric, maybe a Harmonic Percolator (with sub octave mod) and a Repeat Percussion (I scored a bag of those weird transistors it needs on ebay).

I've got a Gristleizer PCB waiting to be built so maybe one of those - maybe with a Green Ringer tacked on?

Something traditional - I've got stacks of old English germanium transistors so maybe a Treble Booster into a Fuzz Face/MK1.5

Something with a valve - I saw the Valvelitzer design on Instructables years ago and bought a lot of NOS wurlitzer valves so I could build one. Nice and simple and I have a valve base I pulled out of something. But what else in there? Some si and ge clipping diodes on a switch? A JFET booster into it?

Any comments on these or any inspiration gratefully received.

Ouch, I've got concussion from running into someone's ceiling and I shouldn't be looking at this screen :picard:
Last edited by Ben79 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Re: Big enclosure filling suggestions please

Postby Jero » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Turn one enclosure into a helmet for starters :p

All the other ideas sound cool...I dunno.
...Build a practice amp into one, in addition to a couple of effects? Valvecaster as preamp to 386/other amp, with some more goodies tossed in?...A lofi contact mic reverb tank inside :animal:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Enclosure pics?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 pm

11 knob suck fuzz, 6 knob standard fuzz, 8 knob wolf computer. You could build a sequencer or some pedal with a sequencer. The seek wah is basically just the "vanishing point" which is basically just a CD4017 sequencer. Sometimes I build things with arcade buttons first and work out the details later.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:11 knob suck fuzz, 6 knob standard fuzz, 8 knob wolf computer.

WOW! These sound like really AMAZING pedals. But darn it, such complicated circuits would take me a long time on perfboard and knowing ME, I'd probably make a mistake or two.....if only there were some readymade, high quality PCBs available to buy, so I could put together a swift and worry-free effects pedal that sounds great and at a swell price too.

I mistakenly mentioned earlier that I would be selling these pedals but of course that's an error, and only something that I might do at some point further down the line once I've become tired of these personal, not for sale projects.

That said, I'm wondering if I might build 3 of the same pedal, just in case I love it and I want 2 spares.....and to save time.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm

If this were my project, I'd probably go with a combination of the garagey and eccentric options with provisions to run circuits in parallel..

..and fed-back..

..and sure, stacked as well. Total party.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ben79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

OK, obviously the thing to do is get off my arse here and actually try stacking a few circuits....I've got an FY2 here and a Harmonic Percolator, and a Green Ringer. Strangely I don't own a Fuzz Face but I've got an Os Mutantes, that's not far off I suppose. I just need this concussion to blow over so I can concentrate again.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 pm

treble boosters and fuzzes like each other
germ ODs+fuzz+boost?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fuzzonaut » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 am

Ben79 wrote:
eatyourguitar wrote:11 knob suck fuzz, 6 knob standard fuzz, 8 knob wolf computer.

WOW! These sound like really AMAZING pedals. But darn it, such complicated circuits would take me a long time on perfboard and knowing ME, I'd probably make a mistake or two.....if only there were some readymade, high quality PCBs available to buy, so I could put together a swift and worry-free effects pedal that sounds great and at a swell price too.

I mistakenly mentioned earlier that I would be selling these pedals but of course that's an error, and only something that I might do at some point further down the line once I've become tired of these personal, not for sale projects.

That said, I'm wondering if I might build 3 of the same pedal, just in case I love it and I want 2 spares.....and to save time.

Oh, nice enclosures!

Looks more like a table top box than a pedal to me though.

So a Gristleizer, yeah.

Or a Weird Sound Generator with a boost after it? http://shop.musicfromouterspace.com/car ... erator-pcb
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm

100 watt talk box
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SoaringTortoise » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Definitely the sub octave modded Harmonic Perc circuit. Maybe into an FY II.
SoaringTortoise

committed
committed

Postby Ben79 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am

SoaringTortoise wrote:Definitely the sub octave modded Harmonic Perc circuit. Maybe into an FY II.

Thanks ST, I have a DIY HP with the sub mod that i built with your help after seeing your video (mine also with almost 100% recycled parts) and an original Shin-Ei FY2 (the epitome of buzzing evil IMO and I haven't heard a clone that gets the same angry tone). I'll stack them up and see what they're like.

Thanks all for your suggestions, last night I decided on what I'm gonna do....

It's actually a pedal I tried to build a couple of years ago but I had an issue with part of the circuit that made me crazy and forced me to actually physically break the pedal. :thumb:

Anyway...

I took on board the OD/Dist + Fuzz paradigm and remembered how good the Harmonic Energizer was into a Fuzz, and vice versa.

So I'm going to do a Harmonic Energizer modded for more gain and with switchable clipping diodes to give various flavours of boost, OD and distortion as well as wah of course, into an Axis Face, maybe with an NPN germ in there, with my own mod I accidentally invented by being crap at electronics where instead of a distortion pot, there's a bias pot on the emitter of q2. There will be an order swapping switch.

I'll build three of these. One will have a Green Ringer tacked on the front, one will be plane Jane two circuits with a footswitch for each, and the third will have a rotary to activate and set the order of the circuits with a single footswitch to engage the whole lot and a soft switch momentary for feedback/oscillation and maybe a starve pot too. All will have an expression pedal socket for the frequency control on the HE. I've ordered boards for the HE's cos I can't be bothered to muck about with stripboard at the moment, but the rest will be built from scratch. I would like to add an LDR for control of the HE frequency but we'll see, it needs a 50k pot and all my LDRs are 100k so I guess a 100k resistor in parallel would make that work?

For the graphics I want to use an old video camera I found and try taking pictures of the TV for some grungey, psychadelic VHS distortion. I'll print the images out and paste them onto the enclosures then varnish over the top - done this a few times and it works pretty well as long as you find the right varnish.

We have a stuck thread for finished DIY projects....maybe we should have one for unstarted DIY projects!
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am

Ben79 wrote:...maybe we should have one for unstarted DIY projects!

Don't do it. I'll never shut up.

Can't wait to see and hear these when you get 'em done :cool:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I just have one thread (Well two) but I change the name and add stuff when I want to share something I'm building. :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Jero wrote:
Ben79 wrote:...maybe we should have one for unstarted DIY projects!

Don't do it. I'll never shut up.

Can't wait to see and hear these when you get 'em done :cool:

I like the idea of an unfinished thread as that's one I could contribute to regularly. Maybe I'll just start it up!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to DIY Effects