bass dudes using both guitar and bass amps...

bass dudes using both guitar and bass amps...

Postby Zounds Perspex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm guessing this is a place dudes would do such a thing, so question-
besides an ABY, are you using anything to high pass your signal into the guitar amp?
I've seen a few options, but I'm wondering what has actually worked best for real users.

Iron Ether Divaricator? HPF-Pre?
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: bass dudes using both guitar and bass amps...

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Not doing it right now, but when I was I used an fDeck HPF-PRE into the guitar side, just to tighten up the low end and reduce the chance of mishap.

Although, I find it's really that necessary, if you just dial in the guitar amp side to cut and not be a low end monster. Even if you do, depends on the cab anyway.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Corey Y wrote:Not doing it right now, but when I was I used an fDeck HPF-PRE into the guitar side, just to tighten up the low end and reduce the chance of mishap.

Although, I find it's really that necessary, if you just dial in the guitar amp side to cut and not be a low end monster. Even if you do, depends on the cab anyway.

Excellent. That will certainly be the most cost effective since I already have an ABY.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

What amp/cab/speakers are you using?
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

I actually haven't even tried it yet, but essentially this-

but, you know...with a bass.

OR50 is a loaner, but I'll be getting another appropriate head in the next month or so.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't even worry about doing anything too special with that rig. Maybe just EQ the amp a bit to taste. If you want the guitar amp to be running pretty dirt for a lot of cut, cut the low, boot the highs and mids. If it's just a matter of the amp design and the low end just pushes the front end too hard, a simple EQ pedal or something more subtle like the HPF-PRE is a good solution. In a pinch, just use a pedal running mostly clean to cut volume to the input or something.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm

right. my main concern is killing the speakers in the 4x12", but I might test it a bit at moderate volumes and see how it responds.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I've never actually seen anyone kill a speaker of any type, except for running amps that are too powerful or cranking any amp all the way up to the point of getting crazy output spikes. As long as the speakers can handle the amp, the frequencies won't really blow them up, unless you're using pushing a crazy hot square wave signal or something, but it's usually really hot transient spikes that kill speakers when there's not an obvious mismatch.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

rad. I'll still get the fDeck jawn eventually if just for more efficient use of power, but..good to know!
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:31 pm

I do find the fdeck useful, especially with more vintage style design tube amps.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby shovelhands » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 am

I run a real jank version of this as well. I use my Epiphone Wilshire tuned to C standard with flatwound strings, and for some songs I run that into a Pitchfork, dod eq, and a dod compressor to get a passable pseudo bass sound. I run those three into my other distortion/delay pedals, and split the signal between an old Gibson G100B (solid state 200w bass amp) and a Peavey Classic Chorus 212 (open back 150w jazz chorus copy). The Peavey has Scorpion speakers, and I have never heard anything from either amp that would suggest my guitar+pedal combo is pushing them past a reasonable point. The dod eq pedal has a lot of low mids dialed in, and the Peavey amp can take the signal no problem, regardless of how loud you have it set. I usually cut the bass on the amp a bit, and bump the mids since it is a bright amp by nature

I used to be very wary when I was initially running this setup, but it seems like any quality guitar amp/speaker can take whatever reasonable bass frequencies you throw at it
shovelhands

interested
interested

Return to ilovedoom.org