The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby codetocontra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 am

My 2017 top 5 video games, with complete disregard for actual release dates, only marking the best games I played this year:

5) Rocket League - Still maintains a fun experience, merging skill and chaos.

4) Gone Home - Great story that started to make me feel things. Short length is appreciated, as if they developers respected their story and my time.

3) Super Hot - Rad style points.

2) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Only had this for a few days, but playing 4 player split screen with my wife and kids has been a highlight of the year, easily. So much laughter.

1) XCom 2 - I really enjoy the laid back nature of turn based strategy, and the leveling progression between the characters and base massage some pleasure receptors in my brain. This was very challenging and not without some losses, which is always weird to accept failures. The battles in this game sort of have random elements that lend themselves to making personal stories to remember and share with others.

Biggest Disappointment: The Witness. I didn't feel like this game respects players time. I can appreciate the presentation of not having overt tutorials, but there is something really missing here. I feel like I made progress but didn't learn something that should get me past the next puzzle. Because of the high praise this game receives I may give it another try someday, perhaps I didn't want to give the game the patience it demands.

Special nod: Dead by Daylight. Played it on a free weekend. The game is pretty buggy and seems to have similar game play to the Friday the 13th game. It is maybe almost hide and seek with a B-level horror movie game. I really enjoyed playing as the killer and stalking 4 other players. Killing the campers almost felt like I was trolling them, because you have to hang them on hooks spread out over the level and they can't do anything for like a minute while their comrades have a chance to rescue them. So sometimes I would hide around a corner and wait for a new victim. Even when people quit out when they get hooked I still got bonus points for making them quit. Just lots of fun to be had with a simple game formula. Hope to see someone do a horror game like this, but with better performance.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:34 am

codetocontra wrote:PC version of PUBG looks great. The Xbox version sucks hard but strangely still fun. I tried the free version of Fortnite Battle Royal, and it is okay, but I don't like the building mechanics which seem very important for high level play. Really looking forward to the game that does this battle royal mode perfectly smooth with guns that work.

Started and finished Gone Home today. Good experience.

Working on my top 5 games of the year. Planning on playing one or two more in the coming week.

Fortnite BR is surprisingly fun, but I never fuck with building. I won my first match, soloing in duos after my teammate was killed right as we landed. The auto shotgun is a beast, and I think almost everything else is hitscan so landing shots is super easy. ~3000 hours in ARMA games prepared me well for this one.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:47 am

codetocontra wrote:What Remains of Edith Finch was a wild ride. Much more of an interactive story but I found it fascinating. Love the trend of small games that are packed with details and rich story. Can't say I made a real connection to any of the characters though. Barbara's story was the best for the, uh...genre tropes.

Forgot to mention the cannery sequence as being excellent too. I shall say no more about the game other than I think it was a fun use of 2 hours.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 am

Aghartha wrote:Fortnite BR is surprisingly fun, but I never fuck with building. I won my first match, soloing in duos after my teammate was killed right as we landed. The auto shotgun is a beast, and I think almost everything else is hitscan so landing shots is super easy. ~3000 hours in ARMA games prepared me well for this one.

Really? Wow. I got slaughtered by some experts in one game and watched them go on to get #2. They got to a point of being held down by a sniper, who built a whole sniping tower on top of a cliff, so one of them was building a wall for cover while running to a new spot. Ultimately the sniper or sniper's teammate jumped down and caught them from behind their new cover spot as they looted high level gear. That was the last game I played because I saw the next level that is needed and I didn't want to learn that. I did like the guns, they were easy to murder with. Wanted to try the 50 vs 50 mode but never made it back.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:01 am

codetocontra wrote:
codetocontra wrote:What Remains of Edith Finch was a wild ride. Much more of an interactive story but I found it fascinating. Love the trend of small games that are packed with details and rich story. Can't say I made a real connection to any of the characters though. Barbara's story was the best for the, uh...genre tropes.

Forgot to mention the cannery sequence as being excellent too. I shall say no more about the game other than I think it was a fun use of 2 hours.

That was my favorite story. :)*
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:32 am

Top 5:

Resident Evil 7
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
Mario Odyssey
Persona 5

Still managed to put more time into Overwatch than anything so...? Zelda Breath Of The Wild is a damn good game, but every other Open World game has kind of burnt me out to thoroughly enjoy it like everyone does, I will likely revisit it in a year or two and dig it a lot but I just want some good linear stories.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 pm

ShiveringPug

Only play Quick Play on PC.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 am

Is there an ILF Discord server? Would be nice having new people to play with.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Aghartha wrote:Is there an ILF Discord server? Would be nice having new people to play with.

If there isnt already I could definitely make one.

Also battlenet name is tapesoup for anyone wanting to get some overwatch in on PS4. (INB4 console pleb)
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 pm

I'll join!
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby BitchPudding » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 pm

vidret wrote:Don’t I need the number too, not just the name of the battle tag?

idk, ill check when im home later.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 am

Mercy and Pharah are my main squeezes. Somehow manage to always go well with Zen too. My internet is always pretty shitty so if i'm avoiding direct combat I am less likely to have bad lag problems. :lol:

Didn't finish Titan Fall 2's campaign when it first came out, weirdly it was the one Origin game that gave me so much trouble. Got a cheap PS4 copy and it's so good, I miss when story campaigns were actually good. Won't be playing TF2 online but I think the story is atleast worth a couple playthroughs just for the gameplay and visuals. Plus it gives out tophies like they're candy.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 am

My Switch has been giving me death stares for not using it as much as I should - but finally getting a Pro Controller is waaaaaaaaay better the standard contoller is way too cramped unless it in handheld mode. Restarted BoTW from the start and am way more into it now and just got the paraglider.

Weapon degradation is bullshit though, I just want to use a sword and they just break :(

EDIT:
Anticipating being tipsy enough to preorder the Japanese Bayonetta Climax Edition. Physical copies of Bayo 1 and 2 is so goddamn rad.

EDIT 2:
Preorder stock has been sold out. 2nd batch is being released on the 28th of Feb rather than the 17th so it has been purchased. Thank fuck for my Overtime payments :snax:
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby foomanfat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Feel like I'm in the minority, but I really love playing Switch with a joycon in each hand. Makes me wish you could split every other controller in half.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby reckon luck » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 pm

What's this? :joy:

It's nice that Nintendo diehards will finally get to experience the GOAT.

Will be getting on PC, eventually (completely against paying for PS+/Gold). I really hope they add some more content and tweak things a bit. It's already one of my most played ever, and I'm still burned out on Souls.
reckon luck

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion