The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 pm

You'll be fine. You got it.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

As a wise person once said:

BUY IT!!! GIVE A SHIT LATER!!!
True story.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 pm

I’ve played this game before, and I always lose. I cave and buy small shit before I can save up for the bigger things I want. So, for that reason I’m tempted to just buy this stuff now, but also for that reason I don’t want to do that because I’m an irrational consumer who discounts future consumption....

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm

You have a sick setup. You don't need anything. I know you have your eye on more sophisticated loopers so just wait until those get invented.
I play this game all the time except I only want 'smaller' stuff so it's easier to lose. I believe in you though.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 pm

This is true. The things I want would let me do stuff that’s really not possible for me to do now, though:

LZX Vidiot: VIDEO SYNTHESIS
Roland JC-40: play with other people
Russian Big Muff RI: this one I definitely don’t need, but it’d make me really happy to have it around for when I want some variety

The looper I want really is a pipe dream right now. If I wanted to join space-race style Axoloti action we have going on right now I could probably accomplish this, but I haven’t had a real need or want for any kind of looper since I got really into synth stuff. Just having that simple, midi-syncable guitar loop every now and again’d be fun. But I don’t want to have to build my own to get something like this.

So, I’m happy enough waiting for someone to make this looper, though, I am baffled this doesn’t already exist.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm

If this was me, and we have different interests so I respect that...
LZX Vidiot: VIDEO SYNTHESIS - I feel like there has to be other free apps and visualizers. It won't have the appeal of 'video synthesis' but there has to be open source alternatives for visualizing sounds.
Roland JC-40: play with other people - Too many other cheaper options on the used market if you just need an amp to play with people. If I could do it again I would have gone Peavy solid state cult.
Russian Big Muff RI - If I'm looking at the right one...that's not a tone of money so...I say go for it!!!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Check this out. ..on mobile so https://youtu.be/_nBK8sAl9nw super awesome d.i.y. raz pi instrument
....this things got it all, I'm blown away :!!!:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Ok another pickup question.

Let's assume I don't want to shell out the money for jazzmaster mosrite Novak pickups.

I'm looking for kinda sparkly but still round in the neck without being too boomy or bassy. That's the easy part. There are probably a dozen pickups on reverb right now that do just that.

But for the bridge, I want CHUNK. Not necessarily metal chunk, but more like Shellac with more low end. I know the Percolator is most of that sound, but pickups have to play a big part in that right? So am I looking for hot single coils, p90s, or JM humbuckers? I can find any one of those for less than 100 bucks but I don't know what's going to get me the sound I want. This quarter pounder is too low output or not punchy enough. All I hear is treble when I dig in.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:48 am

I think the Intersound IVP has a lot more to do with that Shellac sound than people think. Well, that and a modified Bassman. HP is just all the messy fuzz stuff but not always on.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:53 am

I'm not trying to directly cop his tone, it's more like a starting point. That is interesting though. I thought it was the other way around.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 am

Notched copper pic > aluminum neck guitar with overwound single coils > HP > IVP > Bassman. Fuck yeah! There isn't much more mystery. And I realize I may not be helping. Or maybe I am.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 am

Well, I have a p90 on the way so maybe that will help.

I just want my bridge pickup to punch faces. Is that asking too much?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Oi Neon!!! I was going through an old thread yesterday and I found a quote of you saying a Mini through a Perc was the best toan ever. Would you consider going back to that? I have a perc and you can get those clangy toanz it seems you enjoy.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 pm

I still have the Mini and Perc, but I haven't been happy with my pickups. We're probably going to start playing shows soon and I know nobody cares about my tone but me, but I've been trying to take care of stuff that's been bugging me.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm

neonblack wrote:Well, I have a p90 on the way so maybe that will help.

I just want my bridge pickup to punch faces. Is that asking too much?

P-90’s are definitely the best for this whole thing. What’d you get? I’ve been using a Bareknuckle Pig 90 for a bit and it fucking rips.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear