The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

neonblack wrote:Goddammit. Got that quarter pounder for my jazzmaster bridge pickup. Still not ballsy enough. It's the right amount of twang but not enough punch. I've raised and lowered it till I thought the screws were gonna strip but I'm still not happy with it.

The hunt continues.

You ever think of getting someone to wind out a Mosrite style pickup in a jazzmaster cover? Semie wound them to drive the front of an amp but be useful for country and surf. I think m3 is gone, but they used to make one (and they worked at mosrite). USA mosrite pickups are still made by semies daughter and I don't know how the Fillmore mosrite ones sound compared to my 1960s ones. Might be a direction to look. :idk:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm

lordgalvar wrote:You ever think of getting someone to wind out a Mosrite style pickup in a jazzmaster cover? Semie wound them to drive the front of an amp but be useful for country and surf. I think m3 is gone, but they used to make one (and they worked at mosrite). USA mosrite pickups are still made by semies daughter and I don't know how the Fillmore mosrite ones sound compared to my 1960s ones. Might be a direction to look. :idk:

Curis Novak makes this, it's the JM-Mosrite model.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Goddamn I just listened to that and it sounds GOOD. Too bad they're EXPENSIVE

I can almost get the sound I want by leaving a Percolator at low gain on at the very beginning of my chain so I'm going to do that for now. Gonna shop around before I drop any cash on anything
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 pm

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby actual » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 am

What goals are made of

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

actual wrote:What goals are made of

I know someone who has/uses one of these currently.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

I assume he likes it then? I gather it's an AF-9, CP-9 and a FL/CS-9 (perhaps AF-201 and FL-301/CS-505). There's a version with a Tubescreamer instead of the filter and no flanger.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am

actual wrote:I assume he likes it then? I gather it's an AF-9, CP-9 and a FL/CS-9 (perhaps AF-201 and FL-301/CS-505). There's a version with a Tubescreamer instead of the filter and no flanger.

Yeah, I believe he uses it for ambient/drone stuff and then also with some additional dirt pedals for a heavy bass/drum duo, if I remember correctly. He's big on that era of gear in general and loves the aesthetic, Peavey, MIJ instruments and all that.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

Sounds like a cool dude ;)
It'd be awesome with just like a fuzz/od, phaser and delay in the loop.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

How the fuck do you pry the guts out of a Catalinbread without destroying the circuit board, everything is unscrewed it's packed in so tight!!! :mad: I'm tearing you apart, Howard!
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

frodog wrote:How the fuck do you pry the guts out of a Catalinbread without destroying the circuit board, everything is unscrewed it's packed in so tight!!! :mad: I'm tearing you apart, Howard!

Are the pots and jacks pcb mounted? Try taking all the various knobs/nuts off and pushing it in or possibly to one side, then pulling it out the back?
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

The jacks are pcb mounted, pots are not. Problem is there's no room to move the board side to side and get the jacks to let go. The pedal was broken but shiiiit now I'm afraid I pushed the pots down on some components...

Whoa I just got it out! And no components crunched. But damn this CB30 has many electrolytics.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

frodog wrote:The jacks are pcb mounted, pots are not. Problem is there's no room to move the board side to side and get the jacks to let go. The pedal was broken but shiiiit now I'm afraid I pushed the pots down on some components...

Whoa I just got it out! And no components crunched. But damn this CB30 has many electrolytics.

Hmmm, weird. If the board were that tight a fit I would figure they use those PCB mounted audio jacks with the black plastic and chromed "nut", where the nut has a sleeve that's threaded, so the PCB mounted jack itself doesn't have to have a sleeve that goes through a hole.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Ahhh, this is too much.. I fucking fixed it! The cause of the horrible screeching whenever the pedal was on? A tiny sliver of a solder bridge between two resistors. It literally took good lighting, eyeballs and one little scratch to get this baby up and running. Now I guess it remains to be seen if it still works when it's back in the enclosure.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

You know that feeling you get when you think you just need XYZ and you’d never want another piece of gear again? Welp, that’s me this week. There are three things I want, and I feel like they’re all the gear I could ever want, really. But because I know that’s a lie, I’m not going to go out and buy them right away.

If I can exercise some self control, I’m going to buy them for myself this year based on a monthly budget. I really hope I have that much self control....

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear