Superego +

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Superego +

Postby frodog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Just finally got to play with one. It's much easier to trigger and doesn't disappear like the SE.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm

frodog wrote:Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.

Sounds like that person wasn't using it particularly tactfully. I like to think of it as a modern alternative to droning folk instruments like fiddles and accordions. Seems like the new one will add more options for dynamic playing.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 am

Yeah, I use mine in my band for occasional drones and have had no complaints :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frodog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am

I can imagine it working in some contexts, used subtly/occasionally... but using it like a reverb, in an already dense mix where frequencies are fighting for space, is just superfluous+
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm

:lol:

I see what you did there.

Yeah I totally get what you mean, it being on constantly is probably too much. I just use it for drone notes that blend into each other occasionally which is a sound I love. Only in like 1 song and the odd jam though, definitely not that often.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

The Eristic wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:What woul dbe cool to see is the normal SuperEgo pimped with the envelope control section of the SE+ but without the effect section. that would be awesome!

I've had it for a while now, and I'd trade the FX section in a heartbeat for some kind of internal gain control and a filter section. The built-in effects are basically all too limited and mostly sound kinda insubstantial to me. :idk: Something like POG/Holiest Grail Input Gain and maybe like the Microsynth or HOG filter section would really round out the synthy vibes, imo.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have a filter with an LFO. I've been using the flange and phaser set VERY slow to get moving filter type sounds. Phaser set full CCW, or flange set to about 9-10:00
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm

frodog wrote:Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.

You should have keep it down (see my sig) or just play experimental music. :idk:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Uh, I don't know what you mean. Quiet experimental music like not blues? :wha?: :lol: :excellent: :trippy:
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Solo drone folk act with 30+ pedals to make Casiotone sounds. :cry:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I already own a Casiotone 202, so that would be very redundant. :cool:

Don't think I want to be a folkier Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. But maybe that + Superego would make me transcend? Atm it feels more like a musical anchor.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Today I got a SE Plus. I've found one "second hand/like new" for a good price, and went for it! Now I'm selling my old original SE without any regrets.

First impressions: WOW!
The added envelope section help a lot to control the pedal the right way!
I was using the old SE mostly always in latch mode, I was never that comfortable in auto mode, since I always felt it needed a quite loud/present sound to trigger the freezing effect. Now the threshold control on the SE Plus solves this issues brilliantly!
It's really handy behing able to scroll thru the modes by feet. I like also there's a little fade out when bypassing the unit in Auto and Latch modes, which makes the bypass feel more natural.
As I wrote somewhere here in a early post, I was quite skeptical about the effects. Now I must admit these helps also a lot making the SE+ sounding alive. I like a lot flange, phase, detune, the tremolos and Filter (it's not as aggressive as a MS20 or dubby like an Iron Ether Xero Deluxe, but to my good surprise with Res all the way up it does self-oscillation!).
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:41 pm

gila_crisis wrote:Today I got a SE Plus. I've found one "second hand/like new" for a good price, and went for it! Now I'm selling my old original SE without any regrets.

First impressions: WOW!
The added envelope section help a lot to control the pedal the right way!
I was using the old SE mostly always in latch mode, I was never that comfortable in auto mode, since I always felt it needed a quite loud/present sound to trigger the freezing effect. Now the threshold control on the SE Plus solves this issues brilliantly!
It's really handy behing able to scroll thru the modes by feet. I like also there's a little fade out when bypassing the unit in Auto and Latch modes, which makes the bypass feel more natural.
As I wrote somewhere here in a early post, I was quite skeptical about the effects. Now I must admit these helps also a lot making the SE+ sounding alive. I like a lot flange, phase, detune, the tremolos and Filter (it's not as aggressive as a MS20 or dubby like an Iron Ether Xero Deluxe, but to my good surprise with Res all the way up it does self-oscillation!).

Nice. +1 to those comments.

One other feature that would be very interesting is having an option where the effects could be modulated by an envelope that is triggered by the incoming dry signal.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Previous

Return to General Gear