Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby dozicusmaximus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 am

Gnarly sounds Behndarooni
Updated my Sale thread with some new stuffs. ;)
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Antlerface » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Meh I got a really good deal on it, and I got (mostly) refunded until the thing turns up. It went MIA 12/08 and there's been no word on it since. The system, along with some other synth goods, got loaded on a pallet and shipped out with no label or shipping info. Easy mistake to make I suppose, I've done dumber things (lookin at you guy I sent the complete wrong pedal to a few months back).

The bitch of it is I liquidated my entire eurorack setup to afford myself this b&g+. I have my Music Easel. Which is awesome and all, but I'm itching to dive into the new system. The news about the dfam has me thinking about grabbing a cheap 6U and loading an m32 and dfam w clouds and some other effects to tide me over for a few weeks/months while I wait.

Anyone wanna buy my Folktek stuff or a cheap Circadian so I can buy more euro while I wait for my lost euro?!?!?
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby Antlerface » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Just got the email!!!!! It showed up a few states over!!!!!

Should be here in a week or two!!!
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby Ruiner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Antlerface wrote:Just got the email!!!!! It showed up a few states over!!!!!

Should be here in a week or two!!!

That's awesome news! Glad it's finally working out!
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dozicusmaximus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Great news! Should be extra super mega happy fun time when it shows up.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby Dark Barn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Yay Antlerface!
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Wooo! That's great to hear Antlerface!

I traded my Mescaline and Belgrad for a 4ms SMR, Mutable Veils, and Warped Vinyl MKII! I'm super excited to get them in. Here's the current setup (no where for the Veils until I get a bigger case. Also, NSFW tags to avoid spamming the thread with pics):

The eventual plan is to keep the smaller case and move the rest into a 104hp Intellijel case:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Antlerface » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 pm

MrNovember sorry if this has been covered but how's the Alter treating you?

When I get my Moog pieces in a few weeks I'm thinking about using those, Clouds, Conduit as my effects.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 pm

After being somewhat disappointed with the effects in the Mescaline, I am so far very happy with the Alter 2. I still haven't gotten too deep into it and I've really only explored a few of the modes. The "reverb with infinite capture and lp + hp filters" has definitely been my favourite so far.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Antlerface » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm wondering how many effects for the m32/dfam is too many. The Music Easel has its own pedalboard. The Shared System has Erb/Echo. I could probably get by w a 6U84hp little fucker and just have a couple weird things in each row. An Alter each and a lil something spicy like my CVGT1 and a mini o_c or some fuckery.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby oscillateur » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm

I need to reduce the physical space I take with my gear to shuffle furniture around and put my wife's desk in the same small room as my PC and music stuff, which means going from one big desk and one small desk to "just" the big one with both PC and synths on it. I've made diagrams and plans and I'll very likely sell the Mescaline soon as I can't fit it in there and I chose the Reface YC + pedalboard over it. I also don't have time to invest in a new instrument now (which is how I see the Mescaline). It does sound awesome and does lots of interesting stuff (it's easy to get lost in there and I've not even started using it in an advanced way) but as far as synths are concerned I'll just focus on my 7U.

That also means that when I sell the Mescaline I can buy a Teletype right away, which is nice :). I already have the expanders for this thing but can't even use them ;).

Also, I really like Mescaline's effects... They fit very well with the rest of the system I think.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 pm

The effects do fit very well within the Mescaline, but I felt like they were missing a lot of controls/weren't very intuitive to use. For instance, I could never make any of the "delays" actually sound like a delay. I could use them to add harmonic content to notes or crazy pitch madness similar to the Count to 5, but not anything like a delay.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby oscillateur » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 am

I like the reverb as big bloomy reverb (the point is to not use too much of it with the mix knob most, though), the notated delay as a karplus-strong-y thing that adds ringing harmonics and the 4th effect as a rhytmic delay. I haven't used the pitch-shift delay much but that's because I usually don't like these that much (says the guy with three Boss PS-3s ;) ).

Overall for me the strongest point of Mescaline is Mental (very similar to the Matter module from what I've read) and the weakest point is Channel's synth, which is nice but not varied. If I had more space and more time I would keep it as it's a very interesting instrument. But well, I can't control space and time as much as I would like to...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dark Barn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm

I’m immensely enjoying the SynthTech e352 baremountain sold to me, very fun! And I have a Doepfer Quantized Random on the mail truck today, had to order from Germany, no US retailers had it for a long ass time!
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 pm

GERMAN RELIABILITY. WOOT!

tracking says my Shifty should hit today, Comb and Brst Tuesday because of the holiday, but i still hold out hopes for tomorrow for them.

'm excited abiut like sending gate patterns for drum stuff through Branches with one out into a sound source, the other through Brst into the same source. play with random rushes.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear