Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby BoatRich » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

oscillateur wrote:
BoatRich wrote:Is there a cheaper alternative to the DPO? I want to start a system to compliment my Microbrute and that looks like a great first step, but I can’t really justify spending that much+accounting for attenuation and matching levels and such.

I use a Microbrute with a Maximal Drone in the input right now and I’d like more control over modulation and the ability to play duophonically.

Yeah, there are many options but it all depends on what you want to do with it...
And what do you like in the DPO, the internal modulation system, the waveshaper, the raw oscillators sound, anything else ?

If you have a microbrute and want something to add to it, a 0-coast could be a less expensive/more efficient solution, staying in the Makenoise family. You could control it from the microbrute I think and it's either a full voice or a good way to process/expand/add to the brute.

The internal modulation and the waveshaper portion were most interesting, but honestly even just a dual oscillator with a lot of outputs seems useful.

The 0-Coast is definitely something I’ve considered a lot. I’ve been having a hard time deciding if I want another full synth voice or if I just want something for processing sounds/adding layers to my existing rig.

I definitely intend on a Batumi, 4ms SMR, and a uClouds in the future, but I want to get started with a case and something basic while waiting on tax returns. I’m pretty set on the 84hp Intellijel 4u, because I can rack it for live use and the 1u modules they have seem to cover a lot of utility for not a ton of space or money.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:48 pm

If I wasn’t taking a break from buying gear I would definitely snag a DFAM. Looks really fun based on the video. Could easily be the basis of a percussion skiff.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

i don't really get the DFAM? it seems like a REALLY expensive monophonic drum voice no?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

just listened to the YT demo, and yeah. it's got some really cool sounds. but i guess i'm confused who it's for? is it aimed at people that are ALL about the Mother 32 and want to have some modular drums without getting into modular? i guess outside of that, i don't see the appeal.

edit - also, this is why Detroit Modular is so fucking gooooooooood. had a little bit of Trip Money left over, ordered the last two 2hp modules i want for this rack and then the Shifty about 17 minutes ago. just got a shipped notification from DetMod. PCA is HORRIBLE in comparison.

i now have everything i want to put into the DNGR:TECH rack i'm STILl waiting on. he's doing a custom color thing, and there has been 4 times the shop doing the dyeing has sent Not Great version of what i wanted. he offered to send it off og style yesterday, or it would be 5 more days for the shop to get the dyeing done correctly, it's already been months longer than i thought so fuck it. wait a bit more for what i want. i REALLY hope it goes out by the end of next week.

shits is getting a tad ridiculous. i don't bame Ilya though. he's been in contact the whole time with updates. just frustrating as butts.

........ although, it HAS given me time to purchase everything i wanted to plug into it when it finally DOES get here.

so...... upside?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I haven't looked at it too in depth yet, but I'm looking at the DFAM more or less like a Manis or Basimilus Iteritas plus a sequencer to play it. Might still be a bit on the expensive side, but I am definitely gassing for a Mother 32/DFAM tower now. I have kind of turned into a bit of a Moog fanboy, though :idk:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

lol. i am NOT talking shit about it.

i guess it's hard to look at things without the filter of would i want it.

the other two or three demos on YT sound kinda butt, the one linked sounds GOOD. it's Moog, so i'm sure it sounds amaaaaaaazing.

just seems like a lot of money for a less verbose sequencer and a drum voice. at least for me.

but i dropped almost that much on a Swarm, so what do i know.

MAN i am looking forward to that being out. almost have the extra dosh set aside to ask the GR1 peoples if i can go ahead and pay down the rest of that so it's not an OH SHIT I FORGOT TO HAVE THE MONIES READY situation when it's ret to ship.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Yeah, the analog sequencer plus all of the built in utility stuff makes it more valuable IMO. Two oscillators plus noise, VCAs, ladder filter, envelope generators per voice, mixer... If those are things you'd want separately the DFAM is a really good deal.

I think it definitely fills a void being analog, euro compatible, and having a lot crammed into one package. Sorta how the M32 gives you a lot to start without needing to buy 7 modules, the DFAM does that for people who want percussion.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Invisible Man » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Got kinda excited about before remembering that I play drums.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm

behndy wrote:lol. i am NOT talking shit about it.

the other two or three demos on YT sound kinda butt, the one linked sounds GOOD. it's Moog, so i'm sure it sounds amaaaaaaazing.

just seems like a lot of money for a less verbose sequencer and a drum voice. at least for me.

MAN i am looking forward to that being out. almost have the extra dosh set aside to ask the GR1 peoples if i can go ahead and pay down the rest of that so it's not an OH SHIT I FORGOT TO HAVE THE MONIES READY situation when it's ret to ship.

I know you're not talking shit, I was trying to provide a different perspective and greyscales definitely put it into words better than I did.

I've still only listened to the one teaser video with all the different artists playing it. Sounded really good to me and I love the apparent simplicity and immediacy.

And the Quadrantid Swarm right? You were able to put a down payment on that? Did you not go through Kickstarter then? Either way, I am super excited to get mine as well; that thing looks and sounds soooo fun. I should also be getting the Field Kit FX around the same time. April is a ways away, but it's going to be a good month for gear!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Antlerface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 pm

If my B&G doesnt show up I'mma say fuck it and buy two of the DFAM and two M32. Some effects. Call it a day.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Antlerface wrote:If my B&G doesnt show up I'mma say fuck it and buy two of the DFAM and two M32. Some effects. Call it a day.

This has been the most calm and collected stuff lost in the mail experience I have ever seen. Are you a monk? How much do you meditate?

Really hope it shows up for you!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:12 pm

MrNovember wrote:
behndy wrote:lol. i am NOT talking shit about it.

I know you're not talking shit, I was trying to provide a different perspective and greyscales definitely put it into words better than I did.

I've still only listened to the one teaser video with all the different artists playing it. Sounded really good to me and I love the apparent simplicity and immediacy.

And the Quadrantid Swarm right? You were able to put a down payment on that? Did you not go through Kickstarter then? Either way, I am super excited to get mine as well; that thing looks and sounds soooo fun. I should also be getting the Field Kit FX around the same time. April is a ways away, but it's going to be a good month for gear!

yep. can't WAIT. i paid it off through Kickstarter. just have to pay the rest after the deposit for the GR1 thinger. which. ALSO the excitements.

DOOD HOW ARE YOU SO CALM. i would be losing my BUTTS.

also, quick thing with the Dial Up and the ERD WORM. there's some E950 and E352 for the melody, BitBox for the bass drum and hi hat.

holy butts the WORM is deeeeeeep. and the Dial Up is delicious. it gets super anger face noisy times, because. you know. MOFFENZEEF. but it's also pretty a little more contained.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Ah, I read that wrong and totally skipped over the GR1 part :facepalm:
That thing looks awesome too!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

Man I want a Dial Up because I don't think I could make something sound that shitty on it's own. It's like they actually shoved an old 56k modem into a 4HP package
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am

it's so tiny. and really fun noises. the Tail is interesting as butts too. it makes it almost quick delay or reverb at longer settings. it would be NEAT if there was CV control over that too, but it's such a pretty shittu sound box.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear