· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 am

Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.

Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am

blakestree wrote:
Muff_Diver wrote:I think its touch-sensitive enough that any kind of od/distortion is unnecessary.

Totally agree. Though, mine can react well to some light boost.

Ive been tempted to try something light out. I have SHO thats great with the twin but didnt get along well with the lightning. Im still in the honeymoon phase, so once that subsides Ill give the SHO a go. Pretty tempted to try a klon as well.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.
These need more love. Just fantastic amps.

Muff_Diver wrote:Image
Got myself a DC30 this weekend. Now I need to make a cab for it.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 pm

New cheap-ass bass amp.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Hypnodrone wrote:Just pulled this one out of a storage container that was being emptied. Paid like $100 for this set, a Sony 1/2 inch tape machine, an EARTH amp head and a Peavey PA mixer. The Simms-Watts sounds freakin huge and so clean. Noise floor is extremely low, a barely audible hiss with preamp and master on 5, prescense all the way up. It had bad output tubes so they blew after 30 minutes. Need bias, new tubes and I'll rip the caps as well since it hasn't been played in a decade. Speakers are very good, one replacement that sounds a little brighter but I might score an original to swap out.

Great for 60s/70s decor even if it doesn’t work - working is a plus ...

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 am

waltdogg wrote:lolol. yeah, i foolishly sold mine to a yokel back in orange county and never saved his number.

agreed. the studio is probably one of *the* best sounding low wattage, great breakup, takes pedals like a champ amp ever. superior to my ampeg g-18 easily.

Damn, you weren't kidding about it taking pedals well. It has this sort of fat clip to the distortion and when I run my EHX crayon into it the amp sings. No jagged/transistory distortion - it sounds 3d/creamy/punchy! As noted before it is too heavy. I'd love it if someone designed a preamp version of this amp ....

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:06 pm

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:28 pm

horseblanket wrote:I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.

What’s the bad cat/matchless connection? I didn’t realize they had anything in common

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Love both, the amp build is really nice.

ancientbones wrote:Image

New cab day! Nice little Sunn 412L. Still has the original model 126 speakers in it.

Amp was built by the awesome Brig Alcorn out of a salvaged Peavey deuce chassis. Plexi with a jameson style tone stack.

I built the guitar myself. The Crustang v1.5. Waiting on a heavier Warmoth body to arrive to balance it out better.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
horseblanket wrote:I am a recent convert to the Matchless/Badcat family.

What’s the bad cat/matchless connection? I didn’t realize they had anything in common

Badcat was started after a bunch of guys quit Matchless , including the amp designer.
With that I kind of think of Badcats as kind of the next evolution of the Matchless designs.
Last edited by horseblanket on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Looks like a blast. What flavor of Plexi?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Cisco wrote:

Looks like a blast. What flavor of Plexi?

It's like an original circuit he designed. Possibly after the super lead?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I realized I'd not posted a proper picture of my bass VI rig. Traynor YBA-1 into Ampeg B-15S. Speaker in the cab is original -- not thunderous or anything, but it gets the job done.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 am

HAVN wrote:I realized I'd not posted a proper picture of my bass VI rig. Traynor YBA-1 into Ampeg B-15S. Speaker in the cab is original -- not thunderous or anything, but it gets the job done.

That Rick is so sick, I want one of those or a Dakota really badly.
Post a reply