Fuzztopia: Follow the Smoke toward the Riff-Filled Land

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Fuzztopia: Follow the Smoke toward the Riff-Filled Land

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:57 pm

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/why-do-we-work-so-hard

This article has some excellent brain food. Nothing secret in there, but it does a great job of describing the shift from work-to live toward live-to-work.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm

My replacement/colleague quit. So hopefully I get my old job with same pay grade :joy:

Or they might be like "$harky...you're the biggest Soy Boy we've ever employed. You're going to the grinder!"
FIG i. Me going to the grinder.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 am

$harkToootth wrote:My replacement/colleague quit. So hopefully I get my old job with same pay grade :joy:

Or they might be like "$harky...you're the biggest Soy Boy we've ever employed. You're going to the grinder!"
FIG i. Me going to the grinder.

Isn't that app spelled Grindr?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am

"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Here's a topic for discussion. We just had a Holiday Event for one of our clients. We make it an open bar to draw a crowd. One young lady got belligerently drunk. Her friends had to carry her out, get her a cab etc. Her boss was there so people were gossiping about the 'consequences'. Thankfully, she is not our employees.

I personally don't drink but, I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you didn't say anything inappropriate or hurt anyone, I think the 'shame' :lol: and hang over is enough of a punishment. Granted, one should definitely not aim or try to get drunk at a corporate event (especially one with their superiors present) but if it does happen....I think people need to relax. Her friends made sure she got home okay so that's all one can really do.

I have never lived or worked in Japan, but from what I read, they go balls to the walls when they go out with colleagues...and then nobody says anything at the office. Could be mistaken so someone (Oscillateur) correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you soy boys and girls think?

**That said, allegedly, this is not the aforementioned person's first time doing this around colleagues. If "age" is a factor for your judgement/assessment, this person is early to mid 30's.

I totally think about things from multiple perspectives but to be adamantly clear...my idea of 'having fun' at 'a party' is by not going.... :lol:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 am

If it's an official corporate event, they "represent the company".
I could see an issue if they have some sort of morals clause in their hiring contract.

If it's a company event that's just considered a party and there's no notable connection to the company other than "yeah, everyone works there," fuck 'em. :idk: If she gets fired for that it's like getting fired for being drunk at a bar on the weekend.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 am

It's totally true other countries and cultures (than my native America) are far less fucks giving about people being blasted at corporate "events" and tend to be saddened if you don't get completely annihilated.

And yeah if she gets fired I'd be pissed. Open bar and all the chodes from work you secretly hate is like having a boys wrestling gym next to a Catholic church.. It's not going to end pretty for someone..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 am

$harkToootth wrote:I have never lived or worked in Japan, but from what I read, they go balls to the walls when they go out with colleagues...and then nobody says anything at the office. Could be mistaken so someone (Oscillateur) correct me if I'm wrong.

your assumption is correct. that is exactly how it is for a lot of situations from my own experiences. But you also have to understand the social dynamics that encourage this to take place. To compare Japan, or southeast Asia for that matter, with the USA or Europe at face value really doesn't do a whole lot of good because it simply doesn't translate culturally. In Japan, the bar get together is at times a sort of 'safe zone' where people are able to speak directly to each other (or at least more so than in any other situation) under the guise/excuse that they are 'drunk'. This is kind of a sort of social loophole, allowing people to speak/do things with each other that would otherwise not be permitted at all without losing 'face'. In a pragmatic/individualist social structure like some countries in Europe and the USA, this just isn't the case (and whatever things could be considered 'sort of similar' are not at all to the weight or overall gravity that people hold them in places like Japan). In thailand, the concept of losing face, or litterally in Thai 'ruining/breaking face' is placed at the utmost front of literally every social, interpersonal, and even spiritual level or situation. In japanese language this concept shows itself a lot in language, but in Thai it is soaking in the blood of everything, down to the alphabet itself.

For your question about drinking at work events, if your work is providing alcohol, i don't see how they can't see the risk in that from the very beginning. If it is provided, then it would seem that people would just kind of understand that that is a possibility. If they didn't want to have the risk of people getting drunk, then they would be wise to just cut out alcohol from the party all together right? It would seem a lot safer on the part of the business holding the event. Also, if no business is being done at the event itself, and it is labeled as a party or 'off work event' then this also seems like it wouldn't matter what people do, so long as they are respecting each other and nobody has their safety compromised.

In Thailand, people get really drunk at these types of events if alcohol is provided. And even for events like weddings or something where people don't provide alcohol, most of the time people will bring their own or go out and buy it if it is not provided anyways
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 am

$harkToootth wrote:...my idea of 'having fun' at 'a party' is by not going.... :lol:

should have said that in the end, this is my conclusion anyway regardless
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 am

It seems we're actually all pretty aligned on this (i.e. "No big deal. What's up with all the athlete's foot").

People are posting about 'Inclusiveness' Training. I feel like 'Inclusiveness' is often translated to a 'partying atmosphere'. For example, "You need to include people when you and your colleagues go out" It all seems very cookie cutter. Thoughts? I can elaborate. I have a lot of rants on the subject of 'socializing after work'. :lol: When it comes to this, I tend to equate 'Inclusiveness' with increased obligations.

Coming from someone who tries to be 'excluded' from everything. :lol:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm

I had a job where "I AM YOUR BOSS, DRINK THE WHISKEY" was a regular thing to hear during the work day. Why wait for a holiday party when you can just get drunk and operate heavy equipment?
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:34 pm

$harkToootth wrote:It seems we're actually all pretty aligned on this (i.e. "No big deal. What's up with all the athlete's foot").

People are posting about 'Inclusiveness' Training. I feel like 'Inclusiveness' is often translated to a 'partying atmosphere'. For example, "You need to include people when you and your colleagues go out" It all seems very cookie cutter. Thoughts? I can elaborate. I have a lot of rants on the subject of 'socializing after work'. :lol: When it comes to this, I tend to equate 'Inclusiveness' with increased obligations.

Coming from someone who tries to be 'excluded' from everything. :lol:

I think corporate Americas ideas about "inclusiveness" are vastly different than yours. And yes I'm a white male, but I still think it's crazy that it's a thing. If you spend millions advertising that your company does the right thing.. doesn't that kind of tarnish the sentiment ?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 pm

I should have specified that the inclusiveness Shark describes is the kind that actually matters in my opinion. If you want to get along with people it's not going to happen through a video presentation and some power points. You need to go do things that make us human and share the struggle and bitch about your lives together.

If you want to be "included" :idk:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't think I was super clear about what I was trying to articulate. I apologize. I actually just did my mandated training on 'inclusiveness' and the material was mostly derived from social (socializing) sentiments. I did notice that some of our training mentioned things about 'inclusiveness' that are not actually legislated (which actually does become an issue when it comes to things like 'infrastructure').

Not trying to major in the minor here. I'm really not that hung up about it or in love with corporate life. :lol:

If I can quote the celebrated film CLUB DREDD, "There is always someone who shits in the apple pie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfp_9AkjGog
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah man. The corporate thing is super irritating to me. I've been to meetings on how to classify like 30k of spending that probably cost double that in man hours of labor for everyone who had to sit through it. At least I have a job I guess.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion