Pretty Years

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: Pretty Years

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 am

mathias wrote:I know the subminiature tubes are part of the radness here, but I'm kind of wondering if JFETs could do the same job. A "Mini Years" perhaps that would be easier to build? I know SS/BS already has plenty of JFET drive options but thought about it a bit today. The multiple gain stages and the ability to place the filter inbetween / in multiple is really cool and unique. Just wish I could try one.

soooooo yeah ok i guess i'll bite here. i *am* planning on revisiting this circuit for a production build but there will be some changes and you're on the money - one is that i will be replacing some of the tube stages with FETs for a more compact and less complicated build. besides that, there is the ringing which varies a bit from unit to unit and i would like to do what i can to reign it in a little more. time hasn't been on my side for development but it will happen.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:42 am

resincum wrote:the hum is basically -always- there. sometimes more pronounced, depending on settings. I usually have to dial back either the gain/treble/bass. first in my chain as well. I'm going to try powering it with a 1 spot by itself. guess I'll send it to brian if I can't get rid of it since it doesn't seem to be a feature of this pedal :P humless pretty years gets me all kinds of gooey :drool:

not sure about the hum as i haven't experienced that at all in any units but maybe there is a power issue where you are (???) or something is just going on with yours. shit happens obviously
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:soooooo yeah ok i guess i'll bite here. i *am* planning on revisiting this circuit for a production build but there will be some changes and you're on the money - one is that i will be replacing some of the tube stages with FETs for a more compact and less complicated build. besides that, there is the ringing which varies a bit from unit to unit and i would like to do what i can to reign it in a little more. time hasn't been on my side for development but it will happen.

:thumb: that all sounds great! Thanks for biting, heh.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:26 am

ran it off a one spot solo and it was amazingly quiet :rock: I love this thing :love:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Damn, since I traded my original PY, I'd be super down for a new run with some reduced hum issues. Mine had a lot of hum with certain settings.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby worra » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 am

Love mine but it has some serious hum on most settings, and I’ve tried three different power supply options.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 am

huh weird. i tested on a bunch of supplies and never really seemed to have any abnormal hum. there's the usual noise/hum associated with amplifying the signal but nothing seemed out of the ordinary... that sucks if it's bugging anyone. it does seem to be better overall when run on an isolated supply but besides that idk. :idk:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:39 am

Mine has no hum, and I'm usually pretty complainy about that kind of stuff.

Mine certainly rings whenever I touch it though.

Excited to see how the new version would compare!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 am

worra wrote:Love mine but it has some serious hum on most settings, and I’ve tried three different power supply options.

Is this with other pedals in the chain or also when there's only instrument > PY > amp connected?
I had another pedal causing hum in the PY at one point but icr which one it was, and where in the chain...
DRodriguez wrote:Mine has no hum, and I'm usually pretty complainy about that kind of stuff.

Mine certainly rings whenever I touch it though.

Excited to see how the new version would compare!

Same :snax:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Brian are you still making a Euro version of this? I want to get one for my Folktek when that comes in. I think in a rack version it'd be super useful. If not, I'll hunt I guess. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Just buy vid's, it doesn't hum: https://reverb.com/item/6224744-ss-bs-pretty-years-eu

I sold him one of mine! LOL!!! It was way less than that, but I just made him two offers with special messages. :P
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 pm

jwar wrote: special messages. :P

:surprise:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:02 pm

I also offered the other seller who is selling one 3 dollars just to piss him off. :) I love doing that shit.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound